ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Margin on Home Page

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 05/20/17 07:24 PM Views: 1648 Replies: 14
Saturday, May 20, 2017 at 7:24 PM

The right side of my screen has a broad orange band (5 inches wide on my desktop and 3.5 inches wide on my laptop). It appears correctly on my phone. Is this a result of making the pages mobile friendly or is there some setting that needs to be changed on my site?
Name of my site is Planters1969-1972. We are getting ready to do a big push for a reunion and I want to make sure it looks good for everyone.

Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 12:01 AM - Response #1

LaVerne, it appears you are using Professional Design #5 for your site, with a left page alignment. On a desktop, especially a wide desktop, this will result in the background color appearing in a large band on the right side. I believe all professional designs with a left alignment (with the possible exception of #7), yield a wide band on the right on a desktop. You could experiment by changing the design to center alignment and see how that looks, or you could change to the Responsive Design. Under Admin Functions, click on Change Design for these options.

There's been much discussion on these forums about whether Responsive Design (RD) is better than Professional Design. RD apparently works well on all desktop and mobile devices, and would eliminate the band. But, the text width can be uncomfortably wide, in my opinion. We've chosen to stay with Professional Design #2. If you click on our site, you'll see the background band on the right side. If you keep Professional Design #5, you may consider changing to a different background color than bright orange (maybe a darker shade of orange) so that it's a bit easier on the eyes. Our school colors were scarlet and gray, but we opted for a subdued red background color.

Edited 05/21/17 3:17 PM
Tuesday, May 23, 2017 at 11:27 PM - Response #2

You could also consider using Change Design's "Background Image" to add a graphic or picture with would replace the orange border.

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 11:16 AM - Response #3

You could either consider 1. Change the bg color to one that is a little more toned down. 2. Use the setting on the Change Design page that will align the page to the center which will distribute the bg color to both sides of the site as the page will center on the bg color, or 3. Possibly consider looking into using the Responsive Design as that template is a bit wider than the original templates.

Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 10:53 PM - Response #4

Ok, I changed the background color to our blue to tone down on all the orange and centered the page, which helped alot. I also changed the design to Professional 8 to change up our look. My question now is can the photo of the school that appears under Class Chatter be centered and brought to the foreground in that little curved space?. I don't know if it is even possible, but pretty sure that I don't have the skills for that in this program. I've done similar things in power point.

Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 11:03 PM - Response #5

LaVerne, one other improvement you may make, if it can be made (I don't know how to do it), is to change the colors of the scroll bar and background column on the far right. Right now, the bar and background color are both orange, with a tiny dividing bar to indicate where the bottom of the bar. See the scroll bar on this forum: grey with a white background. Much easier to see.

Edited 05/25/17 11:04 PM
Friday, May 26, 2017 at 8:53 AM - Response #6

Yes, I noticed that too. I changed it to orange when I changed the background color to blue, so it should not still be the same color. It is different when I look at it. Were you looking at it last night when you replied? I am concerned that what other people are seeing is not what I see. I have had people contact me before about the appearance of certain things on their screens that are not what I see when I look at mine.

Friday, May 26, 2017 at 11:23 AM - Response #7

Set in Scroll Bar Colors. Recommend setting to Use default scrollbar, do not color

Some browsers do not support that option.

Never use any FLASH stuff either. A few CC things are FLASH only. Music is one of those. For Music, use JVideoPlayer since that works on all devices. LINK discussion

Friday, May 26, 2017 at 2:38 PM - Response #8

Thanks, Jack!

To set scrollbar color: Admin Functions > Change Design > Site Colors > use default scrollbar, do not color > SAVE ALL CHANGES

Friday, May 26, 2017 at 5:21 PM - Response #9

I changed the scroll bar last night to orange and the background is blue. That is how it appears when I go to the website. Are you saying it still appears the same color to you?

Friday, May 26, 2017 at 7:54 PM - Response #10

Colored scroll bar is not supported in Firefox or Edge - it's just same color as the "window" surround, typically gray for most. It does show in Chrome. My iPad is not with me so somebody else has to check Safari browser.

Friday, May 26, 2017 at 11:17 PM - Response #11

Right now, in Google Chrome browser, your scroll bar is orange and the column in which it resides is orange. In the Microsoft Edge browser, it appears as a gray scrollbar in a white column. Have you tried Jacks's and my suggestion of changing it to the "default scrollbar, do not color," per the instructions I gave above? Why not try experimenting and see if it looks better. Most people use Chrome to browse with, so for people using Chrome, you need to change it to "default scrollbar, do not color" for people to see a gray scrollbar in a white column.

A gray scrollbar in a white column is used by every commercial website I browse.

Edited 05/26/17 11:18 PM
Friday, May 26, 2017 at 11:50 PM - Response #12

OK, I changed it to do not color.
So what about the question in Response #4 about centering the oval shaped photo of the school in the space where it appears and moving it to the foreground?
Thanks for all your help.

Friday, May 26, 2017 at 11:56 PM - Response #13

Scrollbar now looks great in Chrome! Someone else will have to help you with the oval shaped photo.

Edited 05/26/17 11:57 PM
Saturday, May 27, 2017 at 1:00 AM - Response #14

Look at the bottom of the Change Design page. There are the instructions to modify the top and side logo.

LaVerne Cribbs wrote:

My question now is can the photo of the school that appears under Class Chatter be centered and brought to the foreground in that little curved space?.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.