ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Larger Version of Photo

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 01/31/15 03:24 PM Views: 1826 Replies: 16
Saturday, January 31, 2015 at 3:24 PM

I recently visited another Class Website, not on CC sorry to say. A feature they had was great and I've looked in our Forum to see if it's been mentioned before and couldn't find anything.

As an example of what I'm asking, they had a photo from their recent 50th Reunion posted on a page. It included a statement below the photo, "For a larger version of this photo "Click Here". This particular one could be enlarged twice.

I have some older photos I'm going to post on my Website, I don't have the originals, just the scanned ".jpg" file. Is there a way to include something like I found, the ability of the visitor to the Website to see an enlarged photo by clicking on a "Click Here"?

Thanks for your help!
Dave Pettingill

Saturday, January 31, 2015 at 8:30 PM - Response #1

The way they do this is to upload two versions of the file, one in lower resolution and then one larger file size with larger resolution. When you click on the lower resolution photo, it is a link to the high resolution version of the photo. There is no way to magnify a lower resolution photo on the computer and not have it look bad. All of the small dots that make up the photo will become square dots and the result would be that you could see each pixel of the photo.

Saturday, January 31, 2015 at 9:26 PM - Response #2

Take a look at the third picture from the bottom, a composite of all senior pictures for the class, on this page of my site. The picture is a low resolution photo (saved in the image section of the file vault) serving as the link to a pdf file (saved in the file section of the file vault) of the same picture. By means of the pdf reader it can be highly magnified.

I presume this is along the lines of what you're looking to do.

Sunday, February 1, 2015 at 8:59 AM - Response #3

F C Bock wrote:

Take a look at the third picture from the bottom, a composite of all senior pictures for the class, on this page of my site. The picture is a low resolution photo (saved in the image section of the file vault) serving as the link to a pdf file (saved in the file section of the file vault) of the same picture. By means of the pdf reader it can be highly magnified.

I presume this is along the lines of what you're looking to do.

Now, THAT is a great idea! Thanks.

Sunday, February 1, 2015 at 2:53 PM - Response #4

Most computers allow a similar result by simply holding down 'Ctrl' and pressing the'+' key; and reversing the enlargement with 'Ctrl' and '-' keys.

Edited 02/01/15 2:54 PM
Sunday, February 1, 2015 at 2:57 PM - Response #5

Yes - but it blurry. You don't get the clarity of the .pdf file.

Monday, February 16, 2015 at 3:12 PM - Response #6

Question to FC Bock: So how did you do that? I see the hi-res photo is located in "userfiles" but don't know how to put a file (like a pdf) there. And how do you create the link from the first photo to the hi-res photo? And does it have to be a pdf, or could it have been another .jpg, but with higher resolution?

Thanks!
Tom Rohlfing
www.highland65.com

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 at 11:56 PM - Response #7

Tom Rohlfing wrote:

Question to FC Bock: So how did you do that? I see the hi-res photo is located in "userfiles" but don't know how to put a file (like a pdf) there. And how do you create the link from the first photo to the hi-res photo? And does it have to be a pdf, or could it have been another .jpg, but with higher resolution?

Thanks!
Tom Rohlfing
www.highland65.com

The pdf or high resolution jpg have to be saved to the file section of the file vault. If you were to save the high res jpg to the image section of the file vault it will automatically be resized to something less and in this case you definitely don't want that.

To create the link you upload the picture to the image section of the file vault, select it and then select the icon that looks like a globe with a solid link in it. Browse to find the pdf or high resolution picture on your computer and upload. Save what you've done. That should do it.

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 at 12:33 AM - Response #8

I found the image section of the vault, with your clues. But I don't see a "files" section. There is a drop-down control at the top left of the page that lists all my images. But the only choice there is "Images." So I don't know how to get to the files section, nor how to upload a file (like a pdf) to that section. Another clue?

Thanks,
Tom

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 at 1:45 AM - Response #9

When you click on the icon of the solid/unbroken link (it's to the right in the second row of icons and says "link" when you hover over it) that gets you to the file portion of the file vault.

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 at 8:41 AM - Response #10

Oh, with that clue I finally see. Seems like that's a pretty obtuse way of accessing the "images" section and the "files" section. Maybe an icon for the "file vault" and then a choice between images and files under that would be a little more clear.

Another question. Does the link have to be to something inside the file vault. Just wondering if I had an image file on some external URL, like YouTube or Google Drive or Dropbox, could that be accessed by a link?

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 at 10:27 AM - Response #11

The links can be links to anywhere on the Internet. If others have access to that same file, they could delete the file while you are still using it. This is the purpose of placing files in the File Vault. It is a place dedicated to just your website where you can store content and nobody will delete that content while you are still using it.

Tuesday, February 24, 2015 at 7:44 AM - Response #12

OK, I think I'm trying to do something different than this thread is discussing. I was able to use Edit Site Pages, and then use the little Image icon to place a photo on the page (e.g. the "In Memory" main page). Then I could click on the image (now displayed on the page) to select it. Then the Link icon became enabled, and I could click on that, and paste in the URL of some higher resolution version of that same image (previously uploaded to the Files section, as described). All of that was great, and works as has been described.

However this is not what I want. I want to get high-res versions of photos that are in my ***Photo Gallery***. The way it is now, when I click on a photo in P.G., it automatically enlarges to a medium resolution photo, with the P.G. photo viewer (with arrows to go to the Next or Previous photo). I would like to be able to click on one of those medium-resolution photos and go to my uploaded high-resolution version of the photo in a separate browser window or frame, so you can zoom in. But the palette of little icons (in particular the Link icon), is not available to a photo selected in the Photo Gallery editor.

So is there a way to allow a user to see a very high resolution version of a photo that is being viewed in the Photo Gallery image viewer? Or do I have to make my own new page that's just full of low res photos that can be clicked on to view hi-res versions? Seems like that would be trying to duplicate what the P.G. is supposed to do, and wouldn't have the nice functionality that P.G. has to browse photo collections.

Edited 02/24/15 9:45 AM
Tuesday, February 24, 2015 at 11:56 AM - Response #13

" Or do I have to make my own new page that's just full of low res photos that can be clicked on to view hi-res versions?" ... Yes - that would be the way you need to proceed. I have seen other admins do this as well, although I cannot remember one to show you.

Tuesday, February 24, 2015 at 12:08 PM - Response #14

If that's the approach, I can just put a Table (say, 3x3 cells, or whatever) in the new page, and put one image in each cell of the table, with the image size set to fill the table cell dimensions. Then set the link for each photo to refer to the hi-res version.

Thanks for clarifying this. The only drawback is that you don't have the convenience of the image browser (with the left/right browsing arrows).

Tom

Tuesday, February 24, 2015 at 2:23 PM - Response #15

That would be exactly how I would go about building that page. A table will help you to align everything nicely.

As for the image browser, you *might be able to play around with a lightbox JavaScript... if you are familiar with coding. The script would be added to the Google Analytics box at the bottom of the Preferences page. There might be an admin or two in there that could help you with that as well.

Wednesday, February 25, 2015 at 12:23 AM - Response #16

It is possible to get "convenience" and magnification but as Scott noted has to be done via scripting. I had exactly the same need to get the gallery to be more flexible. So I wrote a script to overcome the shortcomings in CC's gallery display about 4 years ago. (Script is just put on the page to generate the desired 'gallery' images.)

The script can use images from anywhere, CC or some other site. Does NOT use images uploaded by the gallery system because that system both resizes large images down to a maximum of 1000 wide and actually makes image file size overly large. Although it could use images from there too, which I do not recommend because of the file oversize issues.

Comprises two different scripts. One controls the image "flipping" and the other the magnification desired. IOW magnification is optional.

The magnification can be any number desired. The example below is set to "auto" meaning it magnifies to a user's screen resolution. But you can make it fixed to any magnification you want, like 2X, 3X, etc.

It also does NOT require resized thumbnail images. IMO that requirement goes back to the old days of slow internet connections. Just upload the maximum size image to the file vault (or wherever you want). So this makes it much simpler to add images as well as keep image management easier. Only ONE image loads at a time vs a table with thumbnails - so not a big deal.

This example actually uses images from another site, but I also use the same code for images stored on CC. You can actually blow up small jpg images to 2X without noticeable pixelation. It's a byproduct of jpg.

The single image below just used the magnification option of a single image that I blew up 3X just to show what happens if you have a very high res image. Cool

The home page also has examples of the same thing as well as Bothell History pages. None of those images are "thumbnails". There is just a single copy of the image.

THIS IS THE LINK to sample test code. Other stuff there was just messing around.

Tom Rohlfing wrote:

If that's the approach, I can just put a Table (say, 3x3 cells, or whatever) in the new page, and put one image in each cell of the table, with the image size set to fill the table cell dimensions. Then set the link for each photo to refer to the hi-res version.

Thanks for clarifying this. The only drawback is that you don't have the convenience of the image browser (with the left/right browsing arrows).

Tom

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.