ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Covid at the Reunion

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 09/07/21 02:42 PM Views: 646 Replies: 9
Tuesday, September 7, 2021 at 2:42 PM

I would love to see some responses if there are any. 5 classmates and 2 spouses (out of 130 or so) tested positive, and we had responses from classmate doctors and every expert as to what to do. Some were extreme and others took it easy. I was one and I had such light symptoms that I personally wondered if it was a false positive, since hubby was negative. We'll never know. I'd like to hear from those who might have experienced this and what they did.

Thanks guys.
Denise

Saturday, September 18, 2021 at 9:00 PM - Response #1

Our 50th reunion has been cancelled twice.
We have had a few test positive - none have had the vaccine, and all have had lengthy recoveries.
Just yesterday, Friday, I got word that another classmate has been in the ICU with Covid for some time now, and according to his brother, it is not looking good.
Not sure if this is the type of information you are looking for.

Saturday, September 18, 2021 at 9:07 PM - Response #2

Steve,

I had no preconceived ideas, it's just out there and what has happened to people.

We had about 130 people, and it's been crazy. About 12 positive tests, not all got sick. We've had maybe two or three hospitalized. We had people get sick, and test negative. Go figure!

We had people say we should cancel it and some didn't come, but obviously some did. We just figured it's not going to just end. BTW these people were all vaccinated fully. I know we had someone that wasn't vaccinated there and I just stayed away from him, but he never had any problem at all.

Just wondering what others had happen. If anything.

Denise

Sunday, September 19, 2021 at 12:27 AM - Response #3

We were set to have our 50th/51st reunion on Oct. 9, 2021 (postponed due to Covid last year), but the surge in Covid in Hampden County in Massachusetts, resulting in a rating of High/Substantial for Covid spread, caused us to cancel our reunion two days ago.

Our reunion committee was split, with four wanting to cancel and one gung-ho to have it. Several of our classmates were concerned, that even though they were vaccinated, they might pick up a breakthrough case at the reunion, and pass it on to their grandkids, so they opted not to attend. In the end, we felt the health and safety of our classmates was the most important factor in determining whether to have our reunion or not, and opted to postpone until at least next year.

Edited 09/19/21 12:33 AM
Wednesday, December 29, 2021 at 1:38 AM - Response #4

Our 55th Reunion was originally scheduled to take place in October of 2020. COVID-19 was clearly becoming an issue early in the year and as summer approached we made a decision to postpone until June 2021, renaming it our "55th+1" Reunion. As the new date approached and not wanting to risk the health of our classmates we postponed once more and aimed for June 2022 - now simply calling it our 57th. This is wearing us down. It's beginning to feel like Groundhog Day.

Wednesday, January 19, 2022 at 2:41 PM - Response #5

Alison,
Our Class of ‘65 so/called 55th reunion sounds identical. We’re hoping to gather in 2022.
Leaning towards the following:
It is much easier to feel joy when we also feel safe.
We’ve had two years to learn this lesson, and two years to familiarize ourselves with the boundaries that allow us to feel the most joy. We’ll definitely require proof of vaccination from classmates and guests. Must speak with venue regarding their Covid requirements which are ever changing; are they setting their own boundaries for hosting and those boundaries could exceed the legal mandates and the same for our vendors. There may be some angry classmates re: vaccine requirements. It is what it is. Just as important is knowing our venue requirements. Venues are exhausted. It’s up to reunion planners to ask venue questions. Is anyone initiating a Covid Safety Policy?

Edited 01/19/22 2:42 PM
Wednesday, January 19, 2022 at 5:02 PM - Response #6

Our class is likely to have a third attempt at our 50th reunion this October. We do not have a Covid Safety Policy, nor do we ask if attendees are vaccinated. However, if there is a mask mandate, we won't have our reunion.

I'm going to push for a go/no-go decision around June. We waited till three weeks before to cancel last September, which caused a lot of extra work refunding checks. I'm actually ready to cancel right now and wait until our 55th, but I know there are some reunion committee members who'd really like to have our reunion if possible. Will things be better by October? --- I wish I had a crystal ball.

Wednesday, January 19, 2022 at 5:27 PM - Response #7

Scott,
It’s you’re 50th and do hope your reunion is a GO.

Daily worry is daunting, returning checks time consuming only to have diehards mail in a payment!
I’m ready to throw in the towel for 2022 right now. We do not discuss the pandemic on our website.
No crystal ball here. And hope the situation improves for you for October.
Elena

Sunday, January 23, 2022 at 11:50 PM - Response #8

Elena,
I wish we had a crystal ball. When our 55th was first postponed back in 2020 our objective was to wait for the pandemic to be over so we wouldn't have to worry about wearing masks. Now, some think that Covid will become a seasonal event and as 1965 graduates we are all in at least one 'at risk' category.

At this time the majority on the reunion committee feel that at a minimum CDC protocol should be followed. The venue, a private golf club, has no restrictions at this time. We are planning to create a survey to get an idea of how many to expect but the committee is unable to agree on the questions or the wording.

An interesting aside - several classmates who had attended the same elementary school in Pittsburgh were reminiscing about lining up to get the Salk vaccine. They were some of the first children in the country to receive it as Salk was based in Pittsburgh. None of today's concerns existed back then.

To be continued after the survey is sent or we postpone again . . . . .

Monday, January 24, 2022 at 9:49 AM - Response #9

Alison,
One word in your reply to Elena 'jumped out at me!'
That was SURVEY!
Our committee does not, it seems, believe in surveys, which I have suggested they do.
I quite their little 'clique' some time ago.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.