ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Spacing problems on Announcement Text

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 07/01/10 03:45 PM Views: 1181 Replies: 9
Thursday, July 1, 2010 at 3:45 PM

Hi, Just can't seem to figure out why the last line in the first paragraph of the top announcement won't keep as many words as possible on the next to the last line....I've tried retyping it and still can't seem to get it to look exactly right. What am I doing wroing? Would appreciate your help on this! Thanks, Elaine

Reply
Thursday, July 1, 2010 at 3:52 PM - Response #1

If you look at the SOURCE, you will see the following

WE CAN'T DO THIS WITHOUT YOU!

The &_nbsp; (without the underline character) is a NO BREAKING SPACE which means do not wrap on this character. If you look closely, the "DO THIS" is a real space and could break there, but since the "WE CAN'T DO" is a large word, it doesn't fit on that line.

If you edit the SOURCE and replace the &_nbsp; (without the "_") with a real space character, the line will wrap like it should.


Reply
Thursday, July 1, 2010 at 4:35 PM - Response #2
ME1.5g

Kyle,
I have colored my announcement a custom color with information centered.
But I have noticed the Announcement panel seems to be flush left. I have looked at the code but I'm unable to fine a reason why panel is flush left.
Classmate Jimmy Z

Reply
Thursday, July 1, 2010 at 7:50 PM - Response #3

Thanks, Kyle! That worked -- would I be correct in saying that those codes transferred when I cut and pasted the text from another classmate's MS Works word processing document directly into the announcement? Appreciate your help!
Elaine

Reply
Thursday, July 1, 2010 at 7:57 PM - Response #4

Elaine,

That is probably where they came from.

Jimmy,

Not sure what you mean, but maybe if you made your announcement wider, it might look better.


Reply
Thursday, July 1, 2010 at 8:40 PM - Response #5

Kyle Erickson wrote:

Elaine,

That is probably where they came from.

Jimmy,

Not sure what you mean, but maybe if you made your announcement wider, it might look better.

KYLE; I know everyone there is working hard to help us. I read the question that someone has posted about a problem. I look to see what they are talking about but it has been fixed already.

MY question is there away that the problem can be posted to the forum where we can see the problem. then explain what needs to be fixed.

Rolling EyesLaughingQuestionIdea

Reply
Thursday, July 1, 2010 at 10:41 PM - Response #6
ME1.5g

Jim Zeman wrote:

Kyle,
I have colored my announcement a custom color with information centered.
But I have noticed the Announcement panel seems to be flush left. I have looked at the code but I'm unable to fine a reason why panel is flush left.
Classmate Jimmy Z

Your Announcement area has no fixed width. Thus it will only push out to the margin if you have enough content to push it out that far, which you don't. If you want to force it out, at the bottom of your announcement just put in an empty table and set the table width to 420. That'll make it fill the space precisely.


Reply
Thursday, July 1, 2010 at 10:44 PM - Response #7

William Leggett wrote:

Kyle Erickson wrote:
Elaine,

That is probably where they came from.

Jimmy,

Not sure what you mean, but maybe if you made your announcement wider, it might look better.

KYLE; I know everyone there is working hard to help us. I read the question that someone has posted about a problem. I look to see what they are talking about but it has been fixed already.

MY question is there away that the problem can be posted to the forum where we can see the problem. then explain what needs to be fixed.

Rolling EyesLaughingQuestionIdea

That's a good question. But no, there really isn't actually. This is all live addressing real problems in real time, and there's no feasible way to keep examples of former problems if they've been resolved. We do post the resolution usually though, so anyone reading can understand [hopefully] how to resolve the problem on their own. Stay tuned for the new Help Video series, with a couple new videos coming out per week for the next several weeks. We're going to demo most common problems and their solutions.


Reply
Thursday, July 1, 2010 at 11:06 PM - Response #8

That works for meVery Happy

Reply
Friday, July 2, 2010 at 12:33 AM - Response #9
ME1.5g

Brad Switzer wrote:

Jim Zeman wrote:
Kyle,
I have colored my announcement a custom color with information centered.
But I have noticed the Announcement panel seems to be flush left. I have looked at the code but I'm unable to fine a reason why panel is flush left.
Classmate Jimmy Z

Your Announcement area has no fixed width. Thus it will only push out to the margin if you have enough content to push it out that far, which you don't. If you want to force it out, at the bottom of your announcement just put in an empty table and set the table width to 420. That'll make it fill the space precisely.

I think Brad meant 398 instead of 420. From the FAQs, here are the maximum widths:

ANNOUNCEMENTS WITH NO BULLETS: Images and third party objects inserted into your Announcements area must be 398 pixels wide or smaller.

ANNOUNCEMENTS WITH BULLETS: Images and third party objects inserted into your Announcements area must be 390 pixels wide or smaller if you have turned on the auto bullet feature, which places a bullet before each of your Announcements.


Reply
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.