Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Notify Me

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 06/19/15 06:50 PM Views: 5608 Replies: 11
Friday, June 19, 2015 at 6:50 PM

Notify me when ...
A Classmate has registered for the Reunion

I think classmates would like to know, regardless if they're following a particular classmate

Edited 06/20/15 7:31 AM
Friday, June 26, 2015 at 6:02 PM - Response #1

My only concern here is in some cases this could sure generate numerous rapid fire emails. Is simply visiting the Class List not good enough? It's easy to click the key entry for "attending reunion" and ONLY see the list of classmates attending all in one convenient place. Thoughts?

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 at 3:11 PM - Response #2

I don't see why Scott's request would need to be any different than the existing Notify for Surveys. Once Daily (or Never) are the only options, and that eliminates the "numerous rapid fire" concern.

The list of classmates attending is handy, but it would be even nicer to get an email with the ones that are 'new' since the last notify email - if you chose to receive that.

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 at 5:53 PM - Response #3

Fair enough.

Friday, July 21, 2017 at 2:20 PM - Response #4

We have several classmates who have their Notify Me options set to "Never" for notify me when "I receive a personal message." I'm wondering if maybe there could be a notice on those classmate profile pages next to "Send XXXXXXXX a private message" that states this classmate has their Notify Me option set to not receive a private message. As it is now, private messages can be sent and the sender does not know that the recipient did not receive their message. Or, maybe a notice auto-generated to the sender stating that the recipient will not receive the message due to their Notify Me settings. Thoughts?

Friday, July 21, 2017 at 2:43 PM - Response #5

I had the same concern a couple years ago not long after I took over our site. As it was explained to me, sending the message works as it should. The receiving member does get the message in his Message Center, and will be notified at the top of the home page that there's a new message - when he logs in.

What he does NOT get is the emailed reminder that he has a new message. It may be there waiting, but he won't know it until he logs in.

Friday, July 21, 2017 at 3:27 PM - Response #6

Ahhhhh, thanks for the clarification!

Saturday, July 22, 2017 at 10:56 AM - Response #7

Rhonda McClellan wrote:

We have several classmates who have their Notify Me options set to "Never" for notify me . . . Thoughts?

It's a real Shame that we Force many classmates into the "NEVER notify me" option because Daily is too often (for them) and CC doesn't offer any other options.

Fred Weis, way back in June 2015 Click Here... requested a Weekly Option, and I'd suggested also weekly, every two weeks and monthly. Daily is too frequently for Many and NEVER is a lousy option, sort of like saying "It's my way or the Highway" and I don't believe that's the message we want to be sending, is it?

Any chance we could Revisit this issue?

Edited 07/22/17 10:58 AM
Saturday, July 22, 2017 at 3:29 PM - Response #8

I like your suggestion, Gary. If someone NEVER wants to be notified of the site's communications, why bother joining? I think adding Weekly to the notification options and deleting Never would be great! I asked the classmate who is admin of our FB page what she thought - she agrees 100% - add Weekly, delete Never.

Saturday, July 22, 2017 at 7:23 PM - Response #9

Strange that such an obvious change is being ignored. I think somebody said it was "confusing" .. to the programmer perhaps Evil or Very Mad

Saturday, July 22, 2017 at 8:10 PM - Response #10

I think the "Never" notify me option should remain. Some people simply do not like to be notified of page updates, and that's okay. With "Never" checked on all boxes, they can still send and receive private emails and browse the site's pages at will.

If it's really important news, we send a mass email. On our site, only one member has checked "Never" for the "An administrator sends an email to all classmates," while 72% have "Never" checked for the other notification options.

Adding in "Weekly" may be a good idea, depending on how much this would plug up Class Creator's servers. Would there be huge queues if the "Weekly" option was in effect? I'm not a computer geek so I don't know the answer.

Edited 07/23/17 1:45 AM
Tuesday, July 25, 2017 at 5:02 AM - Response #11

We seem to have dual similar threads. Just to complete this with Jack's answer to this question, from the other thread
link here...

Jack Vermeulen wrote:

Pretty sure it would create fewer emails vs daily. If anything should reduce emails. Multiple "daily" updates can be combined into a single weekly. I bet it will 'unclog' the mail servers with fewer updates. Weekly will also help the 'spam' rejection detector issue.

People that have 'immediate' probably will stick with that choice. There are a few like that I have as immediate.

I really don't understand the resistance here at all. It's an obvious choice to most of us posting here. Idea

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.