ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Format: DIV

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 11/15/11 09:14 AM Views: 1940 Replies: 7
Tuesday, November 15, 2011 at 9:14 AM

What is the difference between DIV and Normal formating?

Thanks,
Carole

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 at 10:15 AM - Response #1

DIV always starts at the left side of the current margins
SPAN is a way to apply formatting (font, size, etc.) to the middle of some text

More info found here:
http://www.w3schools.com/html/

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 at 11:15 AM - Response #2

I use DIV when I don't want a space between paragraphs. With Normal, if I press Enter, a full line space is embedded between the last paragraph and the next one. In some instances, e.g., photo captions, I don't want the space if the caption is going to be 2 (or more) lines. I use DIV instead.

Selecting DIV always pulls the paragraph to the left but I just click on the "Center" icon and it puts it (back, if that's where I started)in the center but still retains the no-space between paragraphs feature.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 at 5:28 PM - Response #3

I don't think I gave you enough info on my question. I apologize.

In edit mode, the text format box sometimes says "Normal (DIV)" when text is hilighted. I usually change it to read "Normal." I've noticed that the text itself displays differently--spacing and/or size--under DIV and wondered what it was for.

Thandk,
Carole

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 at 10:26 AM - Response #4

In that context, I think the only appropriate answer (and the truth is always the appropriate answer) is "I have absolutely no idea." However, the only answer that would make sense for you is to look at the difference it makes in the display of the text and see whether you like it any better.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 at 3:37 PM - Response #5

I use DIV exactly as Jim noted.

Eric... thanks for stepping up with the right answer for the moment. When you do not know, say so. Well done! Very Happy

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 at 3:53 PM - Response #6

Just a note: she is talking about the Content Editor window drop-down that is labeled TEXT FORMAT. There are two different formats in that drop-down that are similar. One is "Normal", the other one is "Normal (DIV)".

I didn't know the answer, so I GOOGLED it for you.
http://support.e-zekiel.com/templates/Ma...=resources&CID=26073

Basically, NORMAL will insert a PARAGRAPH HTML code when you press the ENTER key (looks like it is double spaced). NORMAL(DIV) will insert a DIV whenever you press the ENTER key so you need to press ENTER twice to get a double spaced line.

Actually, I did not know this.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 at 5:55 PM - Response #7

My thanks to everyone: Kyle, Jim, and Eric! And, Hi! to Gwen.

Carole

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.