ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Removing A Classmate

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 02/18/09 06:28 PM Views: 1920 Replies: 20
Wednesday, February 18, 2009 at 6:28 PM

What protocol would you suggest in removing a classmate that is scaring the other alumni? I am about to delete him from our site since I have received several complaints.

Thanks for getting back to me as soon as you can.

Neal

Wednesday, February 18, 2009 at 7:36 PM - Response #1

Never had this problem, but I think I would communicate to the person that this type behavior is not acceptable and the next time, you will just delete him, no questions asked, no future warning.

Wednesday, February 18, 2009 at 9:39 PM - Response #2

I had a guy who setup his profile and then went on a rant about how many joints he smoked in a day, listed his occupation as prostitute, talked about how he was brewing Crystal meth in his basement and then got into slurs against gays.
I was pretty close to knocking this guys head off thirty years ago, so ecause I was biased to begin with, I consulted one of my friends who was a little more impartial and he agreed with what I did.
I just deleted his card. No warning, no message. We'll wait to see if he tries to join the site again and then deal with it when/if he does.
Just delete them. This isn't Facebook or Myspace, its Ourspace/Yourspace.

Wednesday, February 18, 2009 at 11:12 PM - Response #3

I just removed a former classmate, from the site, a few weeks ago. His goal seemed to be to provoke people into debates about the quality of education we received as well as political debates.
He said some inappropriate things about a classmate who had just passed away. At that time, I asked him to edit himself since so many people thought it was offensive. What he put on the second time was more inflammatory than the first posting. I printed it out for my own records then deleted it.

When he started his last round of political debating in the message forum and just being rude about it, I emailed the class to ask them how to best handle it. I was not surprised at the responses I received encouraging me to remove him and his negativity.

I was prepared to politely and professionally tell him he was no longer welcome on the site. I came home to an email from him alleging that I tried to polarize everyone against him and tried to discredit him. I did not even mention his name in the email to the class. I, then, changed his password and emailed him to say he is no longer welcome on the site. It was a tough decision to make but made easier by the support I received from so many folks.

I wish you luck in dealing with your own unruly member.Tam

Thursday, February 19, 2009 at 12:04 AM - Response #4

I am faced with a similar dilemma. I have a guy that no one on the reunion committee knew who included in his profile that he enjoyed guns and had a photo of a confederate flag hanging from his porch. Some people were offended but I decided that I wasn't going to be a censor until there was something more overtly racist,offensive, or violent.

He reacted to a "featured" video of one of our musician classmates and his band by posting something on the message forum that accused the muscian of promoting a homosexual/transgender lifestyle. One of our female classmates wrote on the message forum that she thought that the video was perfectly appropriate. He responded with "Mmmmm...." The female classmate looked at his profile and became frightened. Classmate #1 later deleted his comment and other previous posts leaving them simply with "Mmmmm...". I heard about this after the fact from another classmate but it had already spread a bit. I phoned Classmate #2 to make sure that she was OK.

Since Classmate #1 was one of the very few who used the message forum,I decided to inactivate that page. I also decided not to utilize the Who's Online Now function for the present because it could lend itself to lurking by this guy and make people uncomfortable. While what Classmate #! said may not have been racist, offensive,or violent, in the context of his profile, it could legitimately be viewed as agressive and/or scary.

All that being said, I am looking forward to the threaded message forums. If this guy becomes a problem,
in that context, I will remove him quickly rather than allow him to ruin the website for others. All it takes is one frightening person to turn people off to a good interactive site and the reunion. I hope that the threaded forums will allow for a site administrator to remove offensive comments.

Thursday, February 19, 2009 at 1:42 AM - Response #5

No question, delete him. You don't want someone upsetting your classmates in that bad of a way. Our class sites are for reconnecting and sharing our great lives with each other. No one needs that kind of s**t!

It shouldn't matter to anyone what color of skin you have what religion you are or what kind of sexual preference you have. Keep it to yourself if it isn't hurting you.

I am sorry for all of you, I hope I never have to deal with the horrible things you have had to.

Yvette Johanson Allen
Payette Class of "87"

Thursday, February 19, 2009 at 1:47 AM - Response #6

Thanks for your message Yvette.

Don't be sorry...in fact, it was absolutely liberating to hit the delete button.
Too bad we couldn't have deleted a couple of our classmates so easily back then...lol.

Thursday, February 19, 2009 at 1:56 AM - Response #7

I could see how it would be liberating. I am glad it made you feel better and I am sure your classmates are thanking you too!SmileSmile

Yvette

Thursday, February 19, 2009 at 9:35 AM - Response #8

Tamson Will wrote:

I did not even mention his name in the email to the class. I, then, changed his password and emailed him to say he is no longer welcome on the site. It was a tough decision to make but made easier by the support I received from so many folks.

I don't think that just changing his password will work. There is a link on the home page "Forgot Password" where he/she can find out what the new password is. If you still want this classmate around (for photo, etc), you would need to change his E-MAIL.

Thursday, February 19, 2009 at 10:28 AM - Response #9

Come an see Walt Whitman Class of 1969 and let's share reunion info, ok.

John Hoke

Thursday, February 19, 2009 at 11:16 AM - Response #10

Sorry I do not mean to change the subject but I have noticed that some of you have some really neat backgrounds like your smiley faces. Where do you get them and how do you do that?Smile

Thank you
Yvette Johanson Allen
Payette Class of "87"

Edited 02/19/09 11:16 AM
Thursday, February 19, 2009 at 11:21 AM - Response #11

Yvette Allen wrote:

Sorry I do not mean to change the subject but I have noticed that some of you have some really neat backgrounds like your smiley faces. Where do you get them and how do you do that?Smile

Thank you
Yvette Johanson Allen
Payette Class of "87"

I created an announcement I called "Smiley Background" and have the following code in it. I have several different announcements similar to this. Whichever background I want, I just activate that announcement.

Thursday, February 19, 2009 at 11:24 AM - Response #12

Great site by the way!

Yvette Johanson Allen
Payette Class of "87"

Thursday, February 19, 2009 at 11:40 AM - Response #13

Yvette Allen wrote:

Great site by the way!

Thanks,

If you use "Smiley Background", I don't know how well that will go with PIRATES mascot and "skull & crossbones" theme.

Thursday, February 19, 2009 at 12:09 PM - Response #14

I am sorry, I understand that you put these backgrounds in an announcement but where do get the actual pictures to do them and the code so that it spreads out like it does to cover the whole packground. I have a skull and bones that I would love to do. I am just learning how to do all of this. I am kind of learning this by myself and as I go. Once I learn, I'm good but sometimes I just don't get it.

Yvette

Thursday, February 19, 2009 at 12:34 PM - Response #15

Yvette Allen wrote:

I am sorry, I understand that you put these backgrounds in an announcement but where do get the actual pictures to do them and the code so that it spreads out like it does to cover the whole packground. I have a skull and bones that I would love to do. I am just learning how to do all of this. I am kind of learning this by myself and as I go. Once I learn, I'm good but sometimes I just don't get it.

Yvette

You can see some sample backgrounds from here:
http://www.infoservemedia.com/design/resources/backgrounds/

To make the background work, just replace the "http://www....." in the style with the graphic you want. The repeating to cover the whole background is already in the style I gave you.

Thursday, February 19, 2009 at 12:47 PM - Response #16

Thank you for your time! I will try that.Very Happy

Yvette

Friday, February 20, 2009 at 2:13 PM - Response #17

Pertaining to removing a classmate...I would also suggest removing the person's email address and password, updating the Comments section to note that the person has created problems,and then selecting Do Not Show on Class list in their profile. That way, the classmate will still be acknowledged on your roster, but will no longer be a problem to everyone.

Friday, February 20, 2009 at 9:38 PM - Response #18

We also had a classmate who was obnoxious and went on verbal rants about our (the Reunion Committe Members who have Admin priviledges) censoring and supposed "dictatorship" on the website. After private emails failed to work, he would just paste my words on the Message Forum and then verbally roast me. We all had it with him and his attempts to make the Reunion about him. So we created a "terms of use page" on one of our customizable links and haven't had a problem with this one particular classmate or any other one registered.

This website is not anyones person blog. You, the creator, have the right to just delete his profile and be done with him. It is sad that some people just don't GROW UP!!Question

Edited 02/20/09 9:40 PM
Wednesday, April 22, 2020 at 12:51 AM - Response #19

Hi - what does your Terms of Use page look like - please

Wednesday, April 22, 2020 at 1:38 AM - Response #20

Patte, at this link you'll find the Website Usage Agreement, including the Terms of Use: https://www.classcreator.com/website_usage_agreement.cfm

You may also see the Terms of Use by clicking on this link, https://www.classcreator.com/features.cfm and at the bottom of the page, clicking on Terms of Service.

Edited 04/22/20 1:48 AM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.