ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Teacher list

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 06/30/10 06:52 PM Views: 1819 Replies: 18
Wednesday, June 30, 2010 at 6:52 PM

We have just gathered the names of all the Teachers that taught at the HS since 1925. I am trying to put this list together to upload. The best I can come up with is to put the years that each Teacher taught after their name. For example Joe Test 1925-1931. Is there any want to create a field for the dates of teaching? I think when I upload this it will be a mess because it will sort by names instead of years taught or even how I have them arranged. Is there a way to control the order?

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 at 9:31 PM - Response #1

The problem here is many sites won't have years taught, not to mention virtually all sites are smaller than yours. Arranging teachers by years taught works well for you but won't for the vast majority of others. One thing you could do is add "Years Taught" to Teacher Profiles using Teacher Profile Generator. That way you'd at least have the information. The information just won't come out under automated headings on the Teacher Profiles display. I'm not sure how many teachers you're adding, but one thing you could do is format your own customer Teacher Profiles page under Years Taught headings just like you want to, and then create a manual link for each teacher name to the teacher's Profile. It'd be somewhat of a pain doing so vs. having an automated list of links, but you could certainly do it.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 at 10:14 PM - Response #2

Brad Switzer wrote:

The problem here is many sites won't have years taught, not to mention virtually all sites are smaller than yours. Arranging teachers by years taught works well for you but won't for the vast majority of others. One thing you could do is add "Years Taught" to Teacher Profiles using Teacher Profile Generator. That way you'd at least have the information. The information just won't come out under automated headings on the Teacher Profiles display. I'm not sure how many teachers you're adding, but one thing you could do is format your own customer Teacher Profiles page under Years Taught headings just like you want to, and then create a manual link for each teacher name to the teacher's Profile. It'd be somewhat of a pain doing so vs. having an automated list of links, but you could certainly do it.

Brad, I am not sure how many teachers are being added but I would guess over 1,000 at this point maybe as many as 1,500. As for them creating a profile it does not seem very likley. If there are 1,500 my guess would be that over 1,200 are in IM. As for the 300-500 alive there are probaly 50-100 former students. Out of all of them my guess would be lucky to get 100 profiles from this list. The purpose of this list is not to get them to sign on but to help Alumni memories. At least that is way we are starting. Sort of value added. I think the chance of getting any "donations" from this list are slim too. Do other sites get much Teacher activity? If anyone does please let me know.

Thursday, July 1, 2010 at 9:03 AM - Response #3

Hello Ray,
Maybe this will help ...
I added a list of the teachers who taught during our four years at high school by using a customizable link and called it "Our Teachers 1971-1975".
I typed up a list in a table, two columns.
I had sections for the various classes (i.e., Social Studies, P.E., Language Arts, Counselors, Librarians, Administration, all of them).
I did not put the years next to them, although I could have put in which years they taught during those four years. Some taught only a year or two there, but not many.
It's not the prettiest thing, but it works for what I wanted it to achieve ... helping people to remember their high school days !!

Thursday, July 1, 2010 at 9:21 AM - Response #4

Ok. You could still create your own custom teacher's page and link each teacher to the appropriate Profile or IM entry. In your case that would be a somewhat painstaking task but there's no reason it wouldn't work fine.

Thursday, July 1, 2010 at 9:48 AM - Response #5

Brad Switzer wrote:

Ok. You could still create your own custom teacher's page and link each teacher to the appropriate Profile or IM entry. In your case that would be a somewhat painstaking task but there's no reason it wouldn't work fine.

Brad,
I am not sure how a custom page would work if we have a list 1,000 long. I guess if I did it that way then I could put what they taught next to the name. I was hoping for much simplier. I was just planning on creating the Teacher's list just like the Alumni list. If I Teacher creates a profile great if not the name is still there. I am just putting the year they taught after their name. I think this is simple. I do not want to get into "painstaking" I enough of that already.
Does it work this simple?

Thursday, July 1, 2010 at 10:06 AM - Response #6

Yes, if you put in the years taught in the last name field that info will show after the name. For informational purposes you could still create a custom page with teacher's displayed by Years Taught. Users could reference the list and thus have an easy reminder who to look for on the long list of teacher names on the system Teacher Profiles page. Thinking through this, one thing I'm curious on, how can you categorize teachers by Years Taught? There would be overlap everywhere. Are you just putting all teachers under every year, thus having the same teacher listed many times?

Thursday, July 1, 2010 at 10:27 AM - Response #7

We have input most of our teachers for 1907-present and very few have joined the site. We originally wanted years taught and courses/positions, if not departments, but found that many had changed positions over time. At one point we added years taught to their last name or used the married name field but some weren't even consecutive so it got very messy. Did add subjects & years taught to their profile questions but that doesn't really do much good. Since the Teacher data is separate from the Classmates, it would be really nice to have a couple of Details fields for it, even if the text is limited.

Thursday, July 1, 2010 at 10:47 AM - Response #8

What would you add for instance? Is it something that could be added with Teacher Profile Generator?

Thursday, July 1, 2010 at 10:53 AM - Response #9

It's already in our Profile generator, but my understanding is that unless the teacher joins & does answer that, it won't show even if we enter it there ourselves. Is there a separate "show profile even if not joined" preference feature on Teachers that won't impact the Classmates setting?

Thursday, July 1, 2010 at 11:00 AM - Response #10

Two fields for Teacher Details would be something that reflects years of service and another for their positions or subjects. The title wording is tricky because some rotated between classroom, coaching, department head, counseling, library, administrative & school district activities.

Thursday, July 1, 2010 at 11:19 AM - Response #11

Brad Switzer wrote:

Yes, if you put in the years taught in the last name field that info will show after the name. For informational purposes you could still create a custom page with teacher's displayed by Years Taught. Users could reference the list and thus have an easy reminder who to look for on the long list of teacher names on the system Teacher Profiles page. Thinking through this, one thing I'm curious on, how can you categorize teachers by Years Taught? There would be overlap everywhere. Are you just putting all teachers under every year, thus having the same teacher listed many times?

Brad,
You are right about the overlapping. I am planning on to be more concerned with what year they started. Like-
Joe Test 1925-1941
Mary Simple 1925-1926
Ray Teacher 1926-1941
If they had a gap I will pretty much ignore it. It the Teacher are concerned about it they can create a profile and fix it. I sort of like the idea of creating a second page listing like I just did above. I know that when I upload the names will be in alphabetical order so it may be a litte hard to find. Either way it will be a litte messy.

Unless... CC creates a new page and puts the Teacher name in each year under a seperate category of "Teachers". Then each teacher will be list for what years they taught. I will try to be clearer. If you set can set it up so that a teacher is entered say 1926-1936 -two seperate fields. Then the names will appear on the teacher list in each year. Right? I think this would be fairly simple for a programmer. Of course I think I would prefer the Teacher list to be at the bottom and not the top.
Does it make the list? At least make a meeting?

Thursday, July 1, 2010 at 11:25 AM - Response #12

Yes there is an option for that. You want to click on Manage Teachers, click the Enter/Edit Teachers button, and then select the second radio button at the top of the page.

Thursday, July 1, 2010 at 11:26 AM - Response #13

Yes there is an option for that. You want to click on Manage Teachers, click the Enter/Edit Teachers button, and then select the second radio button at the top of the page.

Thursday, July 1, 2010 at 1:46 PM - Response #14

Hmm. Egad. Until I can download teacher profiles I can't recall which of them might have admin-entered details that would be better not to be showing. My practice has been to enter whatever contact info we have at the time of record creation. Even if we had the extra display on the Teacher Edit grid showing their last update, that won't show me who's got data we wouldn't want to show. Can you help me think that through, what will happen when I turn on that 2nd button? Do I have to check all the profiles manually?

Thursday, July 1, 2010 at 5:15 PM - Response #15

Yes you do. If you might have admin-entered information in there for non-member teachers, the only thing you can do is check each Profile to ensure you really want to show information in there. And if not delete it prior to toggling that second option on.

Thursday, July 1, 2010 at 9:08 PM - Response #16

Brad,

I did not mean to show info. What I was thinking was at the bottom of the "year" page that the Teachers would be below the students.

What I was really saying is for the Teacher list to be included in each year. That is, if you are only one class then its is easy just put names into one year. If you have multiple years than you can show each teacher in the year they taught. All you need is a place to enter the years. For example: Johnny Jones 1925-1970 (some of are teachers won't reitre). Then just like the class list there will be a list of years for Teachers. Click 1950 and his name will appear. Click 1971 and it will not appear. If Johnny comes back for say 1972-1973 the another entry can be made that will show in corresponging years. I think you could upload the same way as students with a field for years.

I guess this will all come down to would it enhance the value of the multi year site? I believe the answer is yes. Say you went to school for 4 years. Click on any of those years of teachers and everyone that was there then comes up. Sounds like a cool feature to me. Brad are you running out of things to do?

Thursday, July 1, 2010 at 10:37 PM - Response #17

Heh heh heh, you're funny! Wink

I think it's a good idea too. The only "issue" I have with this is with an open Task List of over 400 requests, this couldn't even be close to the top right now. Only 5% of sites here are multi year sites, and I think you're one of the rare multi year sites that actually has the year span for every teacher. I'm sure people could get this info from the school, and for those who want to do it yes I think it'd be great, it just has to come after numerous other features in the queue that will be more beneficial to the system as a whole. Saving this request.

Saturday, July 3, 2010 at 9:32 AM - Response #18

Brad Switzer wrote:

Heh heh heh, you're funny! Wink

I think it's a good idea too. The only "issue" I have with this is with an open Task List of over 400 requests, this couldn't even be close to the top right now. Only 5% of sites here are multi year sites, and I think you're one of the rare multi year sites that actually has the year span for every teacher. I'm sure people could get this info from the school, and for those who want to do it yes I think it'd be great, it just has to come after numerous other features in the queue that will be more beneficial to the system as a whole. Saving this request.

<> Yes! So it is now 401. When do you think it will be done? Wink

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.