ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Wish list follow through.

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 06/09/13 01:27 AM Views: 1425 Replies: 17
Sunday, June 9, 2013 at 1:27 AM

I understand that CC is working hard and diligently on the Facebook implementation efforts but it makes me curious about the much previously discussed "the class creator wish list". There were some great suggestions and ideas that forum participants brought up and were very politely and kindly told would be placed on a "wish list". I hope that after the FB implementations are complete at least some of the suggestions and ideas will be reconsidered and followed through to implementation in their own right. (I want to compliment my fellow admins on what I remember we're some fantastic and well meaning postings too. It would a shame to think all of them yet to be acted upon were posted in vain. Just my opinion, perhaps, yet it concerned me as I thought about the good times I have had by being with our class site nod these forums. )

Sunday, June 9, 2013 at 10:47 AM - Response #1

Gary,

There is still a wish list and ideas are taken from the wish list. Not all ideas will be implemented. We are a small company and the programming is done according to priority. Currently, the Facebook Integration is seen as the future of our company, so that is the priority. The Facebook Integration is about to be rigorously tested (from what I have heard, TAP members will be asked to Beta Test the Facebook integration soon). The next major programming effort will be the Reunion Planner (as announced by Brad back in January)

Do you have any favorite "Wish List" items you are looking for so that after the Reunion Planner, those items can be prioritized? The one I really like and I am looking forward to seeing in the product is the "custom icons for the Classmate Profiles page and those icons are tied in to the Profile Generator questions and those icons can be used to filter classmates - 'debate club', 'football team', 'cheerleader', etc." .

Sunday, June 9, 2013 at 11:26 AM - Response #2

Kyle,

I liked the one a couple years ago, that I believe was called a "Reunion Link" between various class websites on CC with the same school. It may have been called something else, but as an example:

Anadarko now has 3 websites on CC; 1959, 1960,and 1961. We had another, class of 1962, but could not generate interest with that class for some reason (totally unlike the other classes). This tool was to provide a link page that 1959 classmate had automatic rights to Full Visitation with class of 1960 and 1961, including Messaging, etc (just like they were registered on the other site).

This would save them from joining 3 websites, with associated 3 profiles maintained.

This project got delayed understandably before the very big 3.0 changes were in the making. As a result, I have simulated this need essentially by making my Class of 1960 a Multi Year site (which I did not really want to do at the time). Several of the classes have joined the Multi Year site, which may well turn out to be our trend with Anadarko HS, closing other years except for the Multiple Year site.

Sunday, June 9, 2013 at 11:40 AM - Response #3

Maybe a wish list that includes applications like Facebook is in the future, but I for one (maybe one) hope this is not so integrated that we are viewing Facebook nonsense along with our Class Creator norms. I use Facebook almost never because of the very nature of the site. Mainly, the chit chat and the global nature of things discussed and people allowed to participate. The sooner Facebook and other such go away the better.

Sunday, June 9, 2013 at 12:40 PM - Response #4

I do not use Facebook & would be disappointed if CC leaned heavily in that direction. However, I realize that Facebook has become the norm for the majority of people & I would never be a proponent of restricting it's use.
My wife does subscribe to Facebook but her use of it is handled much the same as a surgeon deftly using a scalpel. I suppose in a perfect world everyone would excercise the same cautions that everyone was warned about when Facebook 1st came on the scene. Unfortunately, not everyone listened.
I mean...I'm just sayin'.

Sunday, June 9, 2013 at 2:42 PM - Response #5

I believe part of 3.0 and changes we saw before and since have been due to requests made by us -- admins. Without looking through every post written by Brad, I think he mentioned the 'wish list' not that long ago.

One thing is for sure, a company who asks for and listens to its customers (that is all of us) is very, very rare. Keeping your company on track and working with all of us is one hefty task, don't you think? Wink

I am so happy to have found Class Creator when searching Google for a free map in 2010. To me, it is the best place to be.

Monday, June 10, 2013 at 12:14 AM - Response #6

Kyle: I understand and fully appreciate everything you say about the list and the manner in which the company is operated. I think it is great! I just wanted to check on current status of the list we were told so much about because it seems like it would so unfortunate if those great ideas other admins submitted by request were not actually documented somehow at class creator headquarters. Receiving confirmation of the list is appreciated. So I thank you very much.
As for myself, I have submitted ideas and suggestions but they have been placed on the list so many times that I decided to act from the point of view of other participants who must have also been curious and waiting to see if their ideas will ever be used. (I have just about given up trying to suggest things because it seems so futile but would still think having some type of "app" that could work for CC and/ our class websites would be wonderfully beneficial classmates and administrators. So if I could be granted one "wish" (lol) that would be it.
I also think Derrell, Papa and jonboy44 make great points, especially about Facebook related concerns I have previously brought to Brad's attention in TAP chat meetings. The social networking site's staff have been none responsive when I wrote to them and also when I sought some kind of security protection when another FB account holder who turned out to be a fraudulent classmate made threats against myself. Though Brad did his best to assure me it won't happen under the CC and FB integration, and i believe it, I am still leery about FB because of the way they treated me. So now I have reservations about being overly "gung ho" about jumping on board the Facebook integration "band wagon". As a consumer of the FB product, their actions have effected the level of trust I feel towards it. I would like to read more about other CC class administrators experiences after their sites have been "integrated" before committing to participate in it for my class's site. I think that's fair.

Gwen: Granted. However I See nothing inappropriate about inquiring though about actual existence of such a list.
I believe seeking information makes a person a more informed consumer. Are we not actually consumers of the class creator products?

Edited 06/10/13 12:31 AM
Monday, June 10, 2013 at 4:19 PM - Response #7

While we do maintain an extensive wish list, not every wish list item is implemented. We evaluate each one with its alignment to our specific goals for the Class Creator product and if it passes the test, then we get it assigned to a programmer. We pride ourselves on listening to the admins and implementing as much as we believe makes sense for the direction of our product as well as for what we believe provides the greatest value to our admins. The Class Creator system as it is built today, has been molded by the admins. As for the FB integration, we are going to implement this in such a way that admins will have as much control as possible. We also want to infuse our Class Creator sites with the FB option to tap into the powerful social network and the sheer amount of time that users spend on that system so that Class Creator admins can use that to their advantage.

Monday, June 10, 2013 at 4:20 PM - Response #8

I agree with Gary as to being concerned about Facebook. But that is Facebook and what you post ON Facebook is what needs to be a concern, not our sites entered through Facebook.

What I have read here in the Help Forums and our TAP Chats is this:

Class Connection, the Facebook integration, is a door to our sites that will open in Facebook.

The first thing to remember is that we, the root admins, make the decision to allow the door to open to only our home page or more of our sites. We make that decision.

Once a classmate enters through the door (meaning they click to enter), Facebook is out of the picture. We are still in control of our sites as we have been and are now.

Try to remember, Facebook is merely a wrapper (a door frame) around Class Connection.

Many times here and in TAP Chat, Brad has shared that we will be well versed in how Class Connection works prior to it going live. I add one thing... you will be well versed only if you step up to learn and understand. Should you choose not to at the onset, there will be videos and threads to be read and those who have opened Class Connection will be here to help. Smile

If I have erred in any of the above information, I welcome being corrected by Class Creator staff. I do want to be certain my understanding is accurate.

Now... back to the thread topic - Wish Lists Items. I believe we have seen some of our wishes in 3.0 and since. Now to name one or more... who wants to start? Cool

Monday, June 10, 2013 at 4:23 PM - Response #9

Gwen,

Yes, you are right about Class Connection (probably because you are quoting/paraphrasing Brad).

Monday, June 10, 2013 at 8:00 PM - Response #10

Ummmm, yes in chat I have rephrased what Brad has said to be sure I understood AND I read the info in these forums. My post above is from the two. That's it. Thanks.

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 at 12:24 AM - Response #11

That is your opinion Gwen. Would appreciate your not trying to tell me how I should feel. Thanks Kyle. I agree with you.

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 at 4:10 PM - Response #12

Just a few comments to add on this thread...
First let me say, Gwen's descriptive summary (above) of Class Connection (the OPTIONAL facebook integration with CC sites, optional dependent upon the decision of each SITE admin)... is one of the BEST I have read to date. Actually draws a picture in your mind. In fact the terms she used "Wrapper" (a door frame) were all new to me. So THANKS Gwen! If Brad has ever used a similar description and summary with those terms, I must have missed it.
Secondly, Gary, I fail to see where you think Gwen has "told you how you should feel". And I am sorry you feel that way. I thought Gwen's comments were on a positive note and were simply just trying to help all readers understand Class Connection better.
And finally... As far as the wish lists go, I applaud CC for all they have done, which is A LOT in 3.0, implementing so many options, many of which have been requested by admins of CC. As far as CC posting such a wish list just so you could follow-up on particular items is NOT necessary and in my opinion would be overburdensome. However, if there is a particular request you or any admin would like to follow-up about, you could always ask for a status update on that particular request (the appropriate place to do so would probably be the initial request thread itself, where CC advised such would be put on the wish list), but this thread initiated with a generality of all wish list items / requests, is simply too vague and again in my opinion is really not a fair comment towards CC. I totally respect what Scott added to this thread, as you can see by his comments, all wish lists items are reviewed and considered from a business standpoint, as they should be. And CC is ONE of the RARE companies that works with it's end users (the site admins) to tailor and perfect the product to meet the needs and goals for a superior product / service. THANK YOU CLASS CREATOR!

Sorry if I have blown things out of proportion, but I felt I needed to share my 2 cents. Thank you again CC for all you do and for the ability for us to communicate here.

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 at 5:17 PM - Response #13

Many times Gwen and I have shared personal feelings in "private emails" and not in the forum.

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 at 7:46 PM - Response #14

I am sure they stayed private, for you Robert. I, however, have not had mine stay as such. Marla, there are other factors involved and I am sticking by my position.

Edited 06/11/13 7:48 PM
Tuesday, June 11, 2013 at 8:01 PM - Response #15

Well, I have no idea what is going on but someone has not checked their Inbox here as they have a private message dated/timed:
   Tuesday, June 11, 2013 at 12:49 AM

I am always upfront and honest. Above all, I step up and apologize when I am wrong. I've scoured this and have not found the answer as I await a reply to my message. The message subject was "HUH?"

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 at 10:56 PM - Response #16

Gary Hodge wrote:

.. curious and waiting to see if their ideas will ever be used. ... inquiring though about actual existence of such a list... Are we not actually consumers of the class creator products?

I think that's the gist of Gary's main topic?

Anyway, it's a worthy thought. Maybe CC could dedicate a "sticky" to current concepts/ideas on a "list" without specific endorsement of them nor a timeline. This should be a simple copy/paste of "the list".

The first post should be edited to keep up with changes vs a wild scattering of suggestions all over this forumShocked

FB is sort of like Oprah. Either one likes it or they do notTwisted Evil

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 at 3:13 AM - Response #17

Nice try "someone". See what you are trying to do and it is not going to work this time.
That sounds like a good idea, Jack.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.