ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Spacing Issue

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 05/28/09 08:15 PM Views: 1339 Replies: 14
Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 8:15 PM

Hi,
I seem to be having a problem with spacing on our school's home page. In the editor box, everything looks properly spaced between headings, etc. but when I save the changes and go back to view the Home Page, there seems to be excessive space between content headers.

What am I doing wrong or is this just because of Mozilla/Firefox??

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you,
Kim

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 8:40 PM - Response #1

Try this first. If it doesn't work let me know.

1) Click FAQs above
2) Click Questions About Maintaining Your Site
3) Read Question #19

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 9:36 PM - Response #2

Okay...that seemed to do the trick with one exception....Under the New Site Features area, my headings show up in the editor box, but not on the home page. I removed them, retyped them, etc. yet they still do not show up....

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 12:11 AM - Response #3

Oops, I should have actually gone into your page earlier. There's all kinds of extraneous code in here. Most likely code that was copied and pasted in from Microsoft Word. You must not use the Internet Explorer web browser. If you were using it, you'd see a complete disaster on your home page.

I went ahead and ran a filter on your home page content to remove most of the MS Word code. You'll probably have to do some reformatting now that it's gone. At least the page looks ok now. In the future if you are copying content from Microsoft Word, make sure you use the "Paste From Word" icon in our editor and not the regular paste icon. The Paste From Word icon will filter out all of that Word code, not allowing it onto your site in the first place.

Anyway, I never looked at your heading issue. See if you can add it now and get the page working how you want it now that most of the Word code is out of there.

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 12:33 AM - Response #4

Wow...okay, thanks for fixing my page. I hadn't done anything in MS Word though??? All I did was copy and paste code from the original content (cutting and pasting back and forth).

I was just logging in to tell you that the Hard Space code worked for me (or so I thought!).

Can you tell me if it looks okay now?
Thanks Brad! I appreciate your assistance and prompt attention. Great job.

Kim

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 12:38 AM - Response #5

Looks fine. I can't tell you where that code came from, I can only tell you that the Word code stripper cleaned up over 100 things when I ran it. In any case, the important thing is it's working now. Smile

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 7:32 AM - Response #6

Hi Kim....

Site looks great, however, as of 7:30 on Friday morning (5/29) you had several places on your homepage that you have extraneous information like this:

Not sure if any of it is showing up for you, but it is for me as an outsider. Just thought you may want to know, and I'm sure Brad can fix it.

-Doug

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 10:07 AM - Response #7

Hello,
Yes, I had a friend take a look last night. I don't have Internet Explorer, so what I'm seeing looks fine. She too sent me the codes and the locations, but the code doesn't match up.
Brad, can you delete this extra stuff for me?
Thank you,
Kim

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 10:49 AM - Response #8

I ran the Word code stripper again, this time cleaning up 183 things that the stripper perceived to be Word or extraneous html code. What are you doing exactly to get all of this extraneous code in there? I.E. if you're not copying and pasting from Word, are you copying and pasting from something else? What program specifically?

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 10:48 PM - Response #9

Hello again,
I am now seeing some code on my site, but cannot find it when I go to Source.

As for the copying/paste debacle, this is what I did. I copied the text content from the site, specifically the Welcome paragraphs and New Site Features info; then I went back into the Editor, selected Edit Site pages and opened the Editor. I copied and pasted the text back in there (not using Source). It looked ok to me while in Editor, but then I'd save changes, go back and look at the site and then see the spacing issues.

Until today, I didn't see any code. I use Mozilla Firefox. Friends who use IE said coding was showing up. Another poster pointed it out. Now, I'm seeing the following on my screen under the cube:

Normal 0 false false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

I can't find it in the Source box. ????

Also, my Facebook links aren't working either, but that's another story.

I'm ready to pull my hair out!

Thanks for cleaning up all the extraneous text. Lesson learned to never do what I did again. Sorry for all the extra work. Can you give it one more look?

Thanks so much. As allows, your help is so greatly appreciated.

Kim

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 10:56 PM - Response #10

Okay....well, I think I got rid of the code under the cube. Is there any more lurking on my site?

Also, I fixed my facebook links too. Another I D Ten T error. Smile

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 11:17 PM - Response #11

Kim,
Just below your Summertime in Minersville paragraph, and above your Event table, you have this code that you should delete:

LOL, those smileys look awfully weird in there, but they were created by a colon :, follwed by a D. [BBC code by this forum's editor]

Edited 05/29/09 11:26 PM
Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 6:16 PM - Response #12

Help!
I took my fridge out and lost the bottom of my page. I looked in the FAQ's and went to #19 and put that code in and got the rest of my page back but I still have the fridge space. Do I have left overs and how do I find them. I'm still trying to read and interput this hallabaluuuu and just when I think i've got it, I lose something. Can't kick a girl who's trying. Right? Tell me what I need to take out or take it out for me. Thanks to everyone who has helped me..
Faye

Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 6:26 PM - Response #13

Forget it, I fixed it. Sorry, SEE I do keep trying.....

Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 8:49 PM - Response #14

Smile

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.