ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Possible Site Breach ?

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 02/20/21 02:44 PM Views: 519 Replies: 6
Saturday, February 20, 2021 at 2:44 PM

I have received an inquiry from one of our members who Lifelock informed that his class creator password is on the dark web. He clarified that his class creator password was used with one additional site. So he is not sure how they got it.

1). Is ClassCreator aware of a recent possible data breach?

Again, it is highly possible, perhaps his password was guessed or taken from the other site.

2). Also, I received an email from CC stating we own a Domain, with suggestions that we might be interested in acquiring a security certificate for that domain. We never purchased a Domain. the CC portal is used to log in.

We do not own our own domain. And we do not receive certificate warning messages. Perhaps this letter went to everyone?

Thank you for your assistance.

PS he said his spam quantity was up for the last 6 months so I am not sure of the time frame at this point.

Edited 02/20/21 2:50 PM
Saturday, February 20, 2021 at 4:38 PM - Response #1

Following this as well.
MOST curious about question #2 !

Saturday, February 20, 2021 at 6:18 PM - Response #2

Mark Call,

Jessica of Class Creator Admin has answered your question No. 2 in the General Discussion Forum, topic "SSL Certificate," response #12:

"It looks like the email went out to a few users who do not have domain names. It was definitely intended for domain name owners."

Bottom line: if you don't have a domain name, you don't need a secure certificate. Your site is already secure.

Sunday, February 21, 2021 at 12:24 AM - Response #3

Scott Moore wrote:

"It looks like the email went out to a few users who do not have domain names. It was definitely intended for domain name owners."

Bottom line: if you don't have a domain name, you don't need a secure certificate. Your site is already secure.

I think it went out to everyone. I know of FOUR others without domains not reported here because I got copies of them too. Confused them some Twisted Evil

Sunday, February 21, 2021 at 3:03 PM - Response #4

Google Chrome and now Lifelock are using a master database of passwords that were compromised by issues that occurred when large sites like Experian andcTarget were hacked. When you go to a site you have a saved password for in your browser either chrome or lifelock scanned any passwords you have saved for your site and compared it to that list.

Our system was not compromised. We have verified with Google that these notices are simply a warning to let you know the password you have saved for this site in your web browser saved passwords are on that list - you may have used the same password at Experion or Target, etc. Have them change their password to be safe. That clears the warning and you can be sure the new saved password on your browser isn't on their list because it would prompt you if it was.

If they are logged in they can change their own password under Member Functions > Change Password

If they aren't logged in they can go to the sign-in page and choose the forgot password link which will send them a password reset link to their primary email address on file.

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Monday, February 22, 2021 at 9:40 PM - Response #5

Thank you

Monday, February 22, 2021 at 10:48 PM - Response #6

Mark Call wrote:

I have received an inquiry from one of our members who Lifelock informed that his class creator password is on the dark web. He clarified that his class creator password was used with one additional site. So he is not sure how they got it.

Mark,
I too got an email last week which appeared to come from Norton/LifeLock, warning me that a familiar "password" was listed on the dark web.

First, that password was one I use from time to time on those sites which demand that you create an ID and password to see what you went there for. For those sites, I use a dummy ID and/or a 'throwaway' Gmail address that's never used for anything else, and a fun password that's only used for that... So I had no reason to worry about that password being leaked.

Second, a closer look showed that email was a well constructed spam/pfishing example. It initially looked legit, but the 'click to continue' button's address - along with the 'help', 'unsubscribe', and other links at the bottom all went to the same address - which was obviously not Norton/LifeLock. I hope your member did not click on the "Continue" button to log in for additional info as the email requested. I have no idea what they would have done or asked for next, but I was not going to go any farther.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.