ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Ability to place "canned" content anywhere

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 03/16/11 06:55 PM Views: 1147 Replies: 4
Wednesday, March 16, 2011 at 6:55 PM

A rough concept overview :

I'd like to be able to locate Birthdays, Where we Live, Where are They now, Profile Updates (and others) in other places besides the Home page and if on the home page, anywhere I desire, not just the "fixed" locations.

What could work is to create a link (such as the generic login.html) or scripted access which I can then place using an iframe. Or you access a div id= placed by me anywhere on the page vs having it positioned by CC.

My goal is to enable a full Home page where none of the font size issues (as described in 'bugs') can appear. It also lets me make the page more visually attractive - I'm not fond of all those stacked on top of one anotherShocked

This will also solve the "blowout" issue that is a fairly common event if people are shown how to create the home page using these new options since this can constraint content much better.

Details depend on which method is used.
==========================================

Along those same lines (since I'd need to know for the above, e.g. Log In), is there a global variable I can check in scripts to see if a user is logged in? That would help me generate optional info much like CC does now, but under my control.

Thursday, March 17, 2011 at 11:38 AM - Response #1

In the upcoming CSS redesigns we'll have tigher control over expanding elements such as form fields, minimizing "blowout" possibilities for those users who alter their browser settings to have text sizes larger than the normal sizes, etc.

Your suggestion is a good one. It will need to come after the implementation of the upcoming Class Creator 3.0 elements. Not difficult but we need to keep our core focus on the 3.0 stuff until complete. At that time what we can do with this is add this to our upcoming "Advanced Options" page. All kinds of little things have been requested over time that either may not serve the needs of the larger community (like nicknames for example) or in our estimation might detract from understandability and usability for typical users. So we're putting this unique and/or advanced items on one page where you can turn on or off elements, and in this case you'll simply be able to copy and paste a small piece of include code to put wherever you want on the site. For instance if you want to put the Birthday module on a custom-built Birthday page, you'd just copy the code snippet from the Advanced Options page, and then paste it into the Source view of your custom Birthday page. Simple as that.

Good suggestion Jack, thank you.

Thursday, March 17, 2011 at 12:22 PM - Response #2

Thanks for putting it on a future list - that's as much as anyone can expect till you are done. If the browsers all behaved the same, I have a hookie workaround, but the new IE 9 doesn't like itTwisted Evil

=============

The one question that I'm still curious about:

Is there a variable that I can check in a script to see if a user is logged in?Question

Thursday, March 17, 2011 at 12:56 PM - Response #3

No there is not. All of our logins run through a box called the FMS Server (Flash Media Server) and are only accessible internally.

Thursday, March 17, 2011 at 11:35 PM - Response #4

Thanks for the a 'look' at what is coming, Brad! It sounds great! Can't wait to hear more or see 3.0! Smile

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.