ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Hard Coding w/HTML/XHTML/CSS

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 05/28/09 03:41 PM Views: 3069 Replies: 33
Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 3:41 PM

WHAT is with the page editor? I hard code in 'Source' and every time I save,

tags wind up all over the place, my comments are thrown side by side, I can't get my CSS to work because it keeps moving or deleting stuff... I want to SCREAM! I've used the and it's not working.

I don't cut and paste so there's no code coming from anywhere else. I looked at the page's code and there are

tags in there that I didn't put in there. Is there some way to shut off all the editor's 'fixing things'?

Here are my examples:
I type this ~

Blasts From Our Past

Broadview Girls

Beach bound blonde Hope

I save. I get this in the editor:

Blasts From Our Past

Broadview Girls

Beach bound blonde Hope

The page code source looks even worse (in FF, Ctrl U).

Should I put the CSS somewhere else? Should I give up and make the CSS inline instead of internal? Normally, it belongs in the tags, but that's not a choice, here. Why won't comments stay on their own lines? Is the 'nohardspace' in the wrong place?

Edited 05/28/09 6:27 PM
Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 4:51 PM - Response #1

Hi Victoria,

I have sometimes resorted to using tables to keep things where I put them. So far, that has worked, when all else has failed.

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 5:35 PM - Response #2

Thanks for the tip! The table tags work! This the most bizarre editor I have ever worked with.

Edited 05/28/09 6:26 PM
Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 6:27 PM - Response #3

Yes you'd have to go inline, as the head tag area isn't editable as you've pointed out.

The editor, known as the "FCK Editor", is going to try to "fix" code that it didn't create. While normally not a problem, you're getting into stuff that 99% of people on Class Creator are never going to do, such as coding your own Cascading Style Sheets. Most people here have no idea what Cascading Style Sheets even are. As a developer myself, I can certainly understandard your frustration. You have advanced development skills and are trying to custom code within an editor that mainly meant for people to plugin in relatively simple content. is really an attempt to stop the editor from fixing spacing issues on the page, not an attempt to preserve every custom coded portion of the page character for character.

Having said all that, 2 possibilities come to mind here:

1) Maybe instead of we can create a new tag up there, something like that will preserve 100% of the ASCII code as you've pasted it. If we can do that, we can solve this problem by just creating an additional tag you can enter at the top of the page.

2) When you go into Edit mode for a page, we could add another button there that will take you into a simple ASCII text window instead of the visual editor. That way you could just edit code character for character, no different form using a Notepad file or other text editor.

I'll run this past the programmers. Either one of these things would allow you to do what you're wanting to do.

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 7:20 PM - Response #4

Brad Switzer wrote:

Yes you'd have to go inline, as the head tag area isn't editable as you've pointed out.

Well, that's not an option, anymore. The FCK Editor is removing my inline 'style' declarations. (EEK) I just get

Brad Switzer wrote:

The editor, known as the "FCK Editor", is going to try to "fix" code that it didn't create.

That explains a lot. Thank you. Cool

Brad Switzer wrote:

Having said all that, 2 possibilities come to mind here:

1) Maybe instead of we can create a new tag up there, something like that will preserve 100% of the ASCII code as you've pasted it. If we can do that, we can solve this problem by just creating an additional tag you can enter at the top of the page.

2) When you go into Edit mode for a page, we could add another button there that will take you into a simple ASCII text window instead of the visual editor. That way you could just edit code character for character, no different form using a Notepad file or other text editor.

I'll run this past the programmers. Either one of these things would allow you to do what you're wanting to do.

At work, I use Dreamweaver just because my employer has the license for it and it has some decent features. It also has bugs, but it's OK. I use Notepad2, as well. The color coding is fantastic. Either one of your above listed suggestions would have me dancing a jig.

Sorry for being such a one-in-a-million pain in the backside. Embarassed

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 7:40 PM - Response #5

No problem at all, it's a good question. After 10,000 classes on Class Creator I've never had anyone ask for this level of CSS control before, so I guess that sets you apart. Smile But that's certainly ok -- later this year we're developing advanced Photoshop designs that can be tweaked by Admins and all kinds of other things that only higher level users will get into. But then, over time, many people who never thought they'd be doing such things a year ok, are today. One of the side benefits of Class Creator is people start learning all kinds of stuff about the web they'd likely never have learned any other way. Sometimes kicking and screaming maybe, but in the end they wind up with all kinds of computers skills that become helpful in other things they're doing as well.

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 11:08 PM - Response #6

Though I've never yet taught myself to write CSS, I sure would be pleased to have a command telling the editor to leave my html the way I write it. Very Happy

Edited 05/28/09 11:10 PM
Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 11:41 PM - Response #7

Brad Switzer wrote:

No problem at all, it's a good question. After 10,000 classes on Class Creator I've never had anyone ask for this level of CSS control before, so I guess that sets you apart. Smile But that's certainly ok

Leave it to me to be the different one. Embarassed

Brad Switzer wrote:

-- later this year we're developing advanced Photoshop designs that can be tweaked by Admins and all kinds of other things that only higher level users will get into.

WOO-HOO! Very Happy

Brad Switzer wrote:

But then, over time, many people who never thought they'd be doing such things a year ok, are today. One of the side benefits of Class Creator is people start learning all kinds of stuff about the web they'd likely never have learned any other way. Sometimes kicking and screaming maybe, but in the end they wind up with all kinds of computers skills that become helpful in other things they're doing as well.

My Dad hasn't gotten past the kicking and screaming part, yet. Laughing

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 11:54 PM - Response #8

Marian Wright wrote:

Though I've never yet taught myself to write CSS, I sure would be pleased to have a command telling the editor to leave my html the way I write it. Very Happy

That is a pretty funny tag name. Which reminds me, I work with a guy that routinely signs his emails like this:
555-2323

Then, I'll sign mine back to him:

And, only a coder would catch the difference. I know. Geek humor. Rolling Eyes

Wanna learn some CSS? W3 Schools or CSS Reference

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 9:54 PM - Response #9

All right, ya ready for a hack? This will NOT be the permanent solution. But for now if you add this to the end of the URL in your browser while you're in edit mode:

&ascii=y

you will get a simple text edit box where you can do whatever you want without altering your code in any way.

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 11:44 PM - Response #10

WOW, cool!

THANKS! Very Happy

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 5:11 PM - Response #11

Brad Switzer wrote:

All right, ya ready for a hack? This will NOT be the permanent solution. But for now if you add this to the end of the URL in your browser while you're in edit mode:

&ascii=y

you will get a simple text edit box where you can do whatever you want without altering your code in any way.

The text edit box is a marvelous thing. It does indeed leave my coding alone. That being expressed, what I am typing isn't rendering. I will attach screen captures and codes in my next post (I had one and it was too big, so I've got to break them down). I've got color code problems and alignment problems. I hope you can help.

Thank you for your assistance and changes. I do so appreciate your efforts.

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 5:15 PM - Response #12
alignmentproblem.doc

Alignment problem, attached...

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 5:16 PM - Response #13
colorproblem.doc

Color problem, attached...

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 7:36 PM - Response #14
alignmentproblem.doc

Victoria Lea Thomas wrote:

Alignment problem, attached...

I didn't scrutinize the page, but maybe it's picking up a center tag from higher up in the code...possibly something out of your control. In any case, the easy fix for this would be to just change

to

instead.

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 7:43 PM - Response #15
colorproblem.doc

A programmer can give you a better answer on this if need be, but I'm going to guess our own built in css on the page is supressing it. You are only seeing what you're adding of course, but the page when it renders as a whole, is going to include all of our stuff (css, etc.) as well as all of your code. Thus there maybe some css in our head tag (such as h3s) that are going to take precedence. Fortunately a standard font color should override any css we have at the top of the page. Due to the setup here, you may simply need to find some alterante ways of doing things rather than css. Yea I know, you'd rather use css and so would I, but you have to realize you're in a system that's set up for 99.9% of people to easily update their page, and they're not going to get into conflicting css definitions and things like that. In fact you're the first person to my knowledge that ever has. So, my best recommendation here is be creative. I.E. if it's not working one way, most likely there's another way to do whate you're wanting to do. Now, if you keep this up, I might just have to hire you. Smile

Friday, June 5, 2009 at 5:53 PM - Response #16
colorproblem.doc

Brad Switzer wrote:

A programmer can give you a better answer on this if need be, but I'm going to guess our own built in css on the page is supressing it. You are only seeing what you're adding of course, but the page when it renders as a whole, is going to include all of our stuff (css, etc.) as well as all of your code. Thus there maybe some css in our head tag (such as h3s) that are going to take precedence. Fortunately a standard font color should override any css we have at the top of the page. Due to the setup here, you may simply need to find some alterante ways of doing things rather than css. Yea I know, you'd rather use css and so would I, but you have to realize you're in a system that's set up for 99.9% of people to easily update their page, and they're not going to get into conflicting css definitions and things like that. In fact you're the first person to my knowledge that ever has. So, my best recommendation here is be creative. I.E. if it's not working one way, most likely there's another way to do whate you're wanting to do.

I'm routinely studying the base page code, now, to see what CSS is already there and what I can program with that it won't fight (except for the secretive external sheets...boo...hiss). I am excited by the fact that the site recognizes XHTML.

I'm coding in my tiny ASCII window, my code is clean & untouched and everything is moving along. If you can talk sweet words to your programmers, a cute little button taking one directly to the ASCII window would be nice (and uniform for all the editable pages), instead of either hacking out the end of the URL or bookmarking each individual editable page. Just a thought...just a wish...

Brad Switzer wrote:

Now, if you keep this up, I might just have to hire you. Smile

Aw, shucks... You flatter me. I'm really a novice.

Is the pay good? Can I work from home? I'm in Texas and y'all are in Michigan. Confused

Friday, June 5, 2009 at 6:51 PM - Response #17

Our servers are actually in Texas. But we're all here in Michigan, yes. If you're moving here let me know. Smile

Thursday, August 27, 2009 at 7:32 AM - Response #18

I am still in the process of building up my class web site. I face the same problem when I try to insert a calendar (provided by localendar.com) within a frame in the content area using HTML, but the editor keeps moving the FRAMESET tag up after saving, even with the use of the ASCII editor.

My original codes:

After saving:

Hope to get some help Sad

Thursday, August 27, 2009 at 12:28 PM - Response #19

Weird. I repeated it. Wonder why it does that. The FCK Editor is a third party editor we've plugged into the system. We can modify the source code for the editor though, so I'll turn this issue into Programming and see what can be done about this.

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 2:15 AM - Response #20

Okay Brad,
Vic isn't the only person you've offered a job to in a "foreign country." (Anyplace outside Michigan is Foreign right?) Seems to me you should consider what employers have been doing for a couple decades now--telecommuting!

Anyway I'm glad I found this thread which of course the last post was two months Before I joined, but since you've had so much time since then maybe everyone else found another way. What I'd like to know -- is there a way and are you open to it, that if I were to write my own CSS that you could either have a provision that it could be installed on just my account or possibly on the system and those who wanted to use it could do so? I'm even willing to pay something extra if it could be added or substituted on my account. I have spent the past two days helping someone (whose site is still under construction) and all that:

can all be written ONCE with something simple like: Oh, How I dislike RGB. Too many keystrokes for me and besides Hex Code is so much more flexible IMHO.

Now I'm going back to using my Dreamweaver CS5 for a client for the next few days (almost heaven)! Beats that FCK Editor (only thing it is missing) is the letter "U." That's what it has been doing to me the past two days.

Brad, I'm glad I'm not the only person who has that "editor" you guys are so in love with DELETING text when it thinks it has a better idea. Twice yesterday morning I left out the letter "a" in a tag and everything else was perfect. It seems to me that is still a legal command in XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN", however your FCK editor not only removed the entire command line--it also deleted the entire paragraph. Help like that I would just as soon not have!

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 10:31 AM - Response #21

I'll come up with something for this after the Holiday hang tight.

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 6:20 PM - Response #22

For now if you add "&ascii=y" to the URL of the custom page you're editing, the system simply brings up a textarea instead of the editor. Have at it.

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 6:36 PM - Response #23

Brad,

Thanks--I guess this only works with one of the eight customizable pages--not the Survey pages that I've converted into custom pages?

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 6:58 PM - Response #24

Correct. If I can mange to leave the programmer who's working on this alone long enough to focus on it, we have a major overhaul coming up that will include this option for all pages of the system.

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 7:10 PM - Response #25

I'm not sure how this resolves my original request. Now I presume that if I used one of my eight customizable pages to write my CSS code, then when working on any other page I could "point" to that customizable page where my CSS resides everything would work?Idea Sure sounds good in theory, honestly, will your system allow this?

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 9:38 PM - Response #26

If you are going to POINT to a CSS page, why don't you upload it to your File Vault and then point to the CSS page you will have stored in the File Vault?

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 11:40 PM - Response #27

DUH!!!QuestionQuestion Cause I didn't think about THATRazz

Now it really bothers me sometimes when one of you three "troopers" comes along with such a perfect solution to such a complicated task. Only "complicated" because I was going down the "A" PATH when I should have been on "C" PATH. Wonder if this has something to do with the Soggy Pacific Northwest. Haven't seen the sun for more than 10 days this year and it is still raining this evening.

Thanks Kyle--I don't know what I'd do without you 3 Musketeers!

I heard Spring has been cancelled this year and Summer isn't expected to arrive till August 30th. The only problem is, that Winter is expected on September 1st. Brad, you know Michigan is starting to sound like a great place to live!Twisted Evil

Friday, July 2, 2010 at 8:50 PM - Response #28

Kyle Erickson wrote:

If you are going to POINT to a CSS page, why don't you upload it to your File Vault and then point to the CSS page you will have stored in the File Vault?

I finally got around to writing some CSS that works for me. Now when I try to upload to my File Vault, I created it in a plain ole .txt file, .html file, .docx file, .xml file, .rtf file and none of them will upload. I've been attempting to use the Image Button, yet I get the following error msg: "Invalid File Type"

What might I be doing wrong?

Friday, July 2, 2010 at 8:55 PM - Response #29

Use the Insert/Edit LINK button. It allows lots of different document types. The IMAGE button only allows graphics.

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 at 10:37 PM - Response #30

Is there a way in the current release to upload a stylesheet and have it included in the HTML head?

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 at 12:28 AM - Response #31

That would be a nice optionExclamation I couldn't find a way to put stylesheets anywhere except in our own little "space". Plus there's global control in the google analytics section - IOW you can put anything there, not just the google script.

I've found that many times, "later" styles can override CC styles and putting it there is a good way to propagate to all pages without you having to include it everywhere. E.g. you can change the left menu color, font, background specs, etc. I've only used a few minor tweaks so far but experimented to see what I could modify.

There are some challenges, but often by playing long enough I've been able to work around to an acceptable solutionIdea

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 at 11:09 PM - Response #32

Jack,

I'm not sure what you mean by "our own little space". The Google Analytics script is loaded at the end of the page, which is fine for script, but not CSS.

Thanks,
John Tapp

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 at 11:44 PM - Response #33

You can put CSS in what is termed "google analytics" - not obvious is itWink Kyle here (thanks) got me onto that little trick when I was messing with scaling the background image - worked well, it's just that XP can't run IE9, so can't do it for a few more years.Crying or Very sad

If you look at the source of my page and go to the very end you'll see a link to a style sheet that is controlling the background scroll, left margin and top margin (it's actually overriding CC style sheet specs). It's followed by the google script.

By "our own little space", I mean the part of the body that we create. You can also put CSS there as well. IOW, it doesn't have to be in the head.

For some reason there are a lot of things in online references that state things that aren't exactly true. One of those is the location where it says they need to be. The only caveat is that you sometimes have to be sure a page is completely loaded before you can do certain script stuff. Not too hard - onload solves that. I stack multiple ones in a common area if I need more than one.

Edited 05/18/11 11:49 PM
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.