ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Overwrite bad addresses

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 02/18/09 12:32 AM Views: 1274 Replies: 6
Wednesday, February 18, 2009 at 12:32 AM

Question for the ClassCreator brainiacs,

We have around 450 class mates. The class list I was given was 30 years old so I have been using a people search service to get updated addresses and doing mailings. If the mail isn't returned then we have a good address even if the person chooses not to register.

So now I have 100 or so updated/good addresses of people who have not registered. I would like to upload the good addresses to the website so I don't have to keep them in a separate file and so it is reflected on the map of where people live.

If I have those 100 names in the correct format and upload them I need to be 1000% (yes one thousand) sure that I will not mess up anything. I need to know:
1) Will this upload overwrite only those 100 names?
or
2) Will this upload write over the whole file and then the site will act as if we have 100 class mates and do away with what is already there?

If the answer is #2 then must I merge my download from you with the updated address list and then re upload in order to do it in a batch? And if I do this will it affect photos, ie erase them?

Thanks for your help,

Greg

Wednesday, February 18, 2009 at 2:05 AM - Response #1

If you've already got a Classmate's name in the system, whether you batch uploaded it or added it directly into the system, it's permanent. I.E. you can no longer batch upload information for that same Classmate again -- all additional edits to the Classmate's record must be made within the system. The obvious reason for this is once a Classmate's name is in the system, that Classmate can now alter the record. If we allow another upload to blow away info in that record, you're now blowing away the Classmate's own work.

Having said that, what you could do is use your "Reset Classmates" button to selectively delete any Classmate Names who've not yet joined the site. If you do that, then you would in fact be able to upload those Classmates again using the batch upload process.

Wednesday, February 18, 2009 at 2:08 AM - Response #2

Greg,
The upload will not overwrite any names... it will add a second entry (I believe)
I think you'll need to first go to the upload classmates page, click "Reset Classmates" and select each of the classmates you'll be replacing -- and ONLY them, otherwise, you'll have a big problem)
Then when you upload, you'll have the addresses in their profiles and they'll only have 1 profile.

Beth

Wednesday, February 18, 2009 at 2:09 AM - Response #3

Go to bed Brad!

Wednesday, February 18, 2009 at 2:57 AM - Response #4

No.

Wednesday, February 18, 2009 at 11:59 AM - Response #5

Quote:

I have been using a people search service to get updated addresses

Curious - who are you using for the search service?

Wednesday, February 18, 2009 at 5:56 PM - Response #6

The search service I have been using is www.peoplefinders.com They have a good price for the monthly service and they have actually found more data than another much higher priced service I was using.

Greg

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.