ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Better name than User Forum?

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 06/29/10 11:40 PM Views: 3357 Replies: 20
Tuesday, June 29, 2010 at 11:40 PM

We aren't getting any action on our User Forum on our web page. I am thinking of changing the name to make it more attractive to classmates to go there and participate. Have gotten some good ideas for new topics from cruising the Forums here.
Anyone having success with theirs and any suggestions for a new name?

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 at 12:34 AM - Response #1

I hope you get some suggestions on this, because I am in the same boat. My classmates of 1960 just don't seem to go even close to the forums. I would love to find a way to encourage them to communicate in the forums.

BTW, nice dog. I have 6 out here in the country side, each thinks the world rotates around them.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 at 1:02 AM - Response #2

We have had a few postings, but most folks seem to want to use the Message Center.
I tried renaming it, and it did some good in getting some additional postings. I tried to make it 'catchy,' calling it Exporter Expressions.
I will be following this thread for more ideas myself!
After our 40 year reunion, participation has been very low.
Hmmmm - wonder if there is a way to determine how many classmates visit it each day, week, month?? Another question for Brad and company maybe??????

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 at 2:34 AM - Response #3

We changed the name to "Tuckshop Chit Chat" - seems to have helped a little

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 at 7:10 AM - Response #4

Hi Steve - you can click on the "Statistics" button on the Administrators Menu and that will take you to a screen with lots of info, including a link to names and dates of people that have logged into your site. It's really neat and a good way to see who is really using the site. There's a graph and other info. Good luck!

Brenda Windel
Vandalia-Butler Class of 1964

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 at 9:13 AM - Response #5

We have our "Redskin Pow Wow" since it's our mascot theme. The other one is Message Forum. We don't get much action either. I think it's our age group, if You check on Facebook we don't say much unless it's really important. Statics is good, but I just signed up for Google Aniliglic(sp). Free , I discovered someone has a Ipad.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 at 10:22 AM - Response #6

I just changed ours to "DO NOT LOOK IN HERE" We will see what happens

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 at 10:51 AM - Response #7

KAREN KELLY wrote:

We have our "Redskin Pow Wow" since it's our mascot theme. The other one is Message Forum. We don't get much action either. I think it's our age group, if You check on Facebook we don't say much unless it's really important. Statics is good, but I just signed up for Google Aniliglic(sp). Free , I discovered someone has a Ipad.

Interesting, Redskin Pow Wow. I have for some time had forum named Pow Wow Forum, since our school similarly is named for Anadarko Indians. I liked your slightly more descriptive name, and since we were "Warriors", I just changed name to Warrior Pow Wow.

Then again, I kind of like Ricks "Do Not Look In Here"........FOFL.

Edited 06/30/10 10:52 AM
Wednesday, June 30, 2010 at 11:38 AM - Response #8

I bet Rick will get the most action on his Forums with the new name!Very Happy Maybe I will try X-files.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 at 11:57 AM - Response #9

Another one would be "Don't even think of looking in here!".....that's sure to get'em!!!!

Brenda

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 at 12:02 PM - Response #10

Ours is called "Federal Forum" as our mascot is a Federal soldier, but that didn't seem to add any action...I like Rick's idea too. I may try it.

I sent out an e-mail to the class with a list of the topics and a few responded and then it went stale, but I think people just enjoy sending personal messages to each other rather than have their discussions out in the open. I can see in our statistics that there are many users on the site daily so at least we have that going for us!!!

I also personally asked our reunion committee members to start a topic or add to the existing ones, a few did that, but the same thing happened...it went stale after a while.

I'll be following this thread too, to see if anyone has any more ideas that work.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 at 12:03 PM - Response #11

I also wanted to ask if anyone out there has any ideas on how to get more classmates to post their personal photos into the photo galleries I've created.

Thanks,

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 at 12:09 PM - Response #12

Brenda Windel wrote:

Another one would be "Don't even think of looking in here!".....that's sure to get'em!!!!

Brenda

YES! Then when they get into the Forum, give message of something like "Warnimg: You cannot exit here until you have posted something"...........HAHHAHHAH. Very Happy

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 at 12:12 PM - Response #13

I, too, am interested in ideas to get classmates to upload their photos to profile page.

Thank you,

Louise

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 at 12:20 PM - Response #14

very clever..."you're trapped!" we'll see what happens...

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 at 12:28 PM - Response #15

Rick Nelson wrote:

I just changed ours to "DO NOT LOOK IN HERE" We will see what happens

THAT is a great idea! It seems we are all in the same boat. I used call mine Hangar Chat, being the Jets and the Hangar being the name of our student center. I just changed it to the generic "Message Board"..Nada. Too bad, because it is such a great feature. Let us know if you get any new action with that new name! Haha, Bonita

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 at 5:53 PM - Response #16

I've had a site for a year and although I've posted several notes in the User Forum, I just can't get classmates to use it. Embarassed Most don't respond to surveys either so we're all in the same boat. Confused I think our classmates enjoy the web site and have sent money to support it. When someone new posts a profile or pictures the statistics show a spike.

Edited 06/30/10 5:54 PM
Wednesday, June 30, 2010 at 9:49 PM - Response #17

"X-Files"?
"Secret Stuff"?
"Hot Stuff"?

Thursday, July 1, 2010 at 11:44 PM - Response #18

What all of you have been saying, it seems to be time for me to start making some changes and once every five days change the heading of each of ten pages that have little or no action and simply call them

"Closed for Repairs"
"FREE Giveaway"
"WIN Tickets"
"GO with the Flow"

Each one of these will have "animated" crowds all clamoring to get inside (a room or building) to see what there is. Sorta like it is during rush hour -- everyone in a hurry to get home, but when they get there, they don't know what they were in a hurry for in the first place!

Friday, July 2, 2010 at 9:17 PM - Response #19

Try Facebook. I was surprised to see 3 who said they didn't know how to and there they were on Facebook. I also noticed that any comments made on Facebook be it a one liner or 1 or 2 words , they're sent a notification, there's a message for you. So now I learned to send messages from the Message Center not from my regular inbox for they have to log in to view it. This way it also helps boost statistics. It's fun being an admin!!!

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 at 9:03 PM - Response #20

I finally decided to go simple. Today I changed the name to "Class Postings", think that might be simple enough to understand what it is for. I also made an announcement pushing one of the forums on the home page. This week I am just trying to get feedback on the site and the reunion. Going to try to promote a forum subject every week or two and see what happens!
If we don't get any responses will change the name to "Drugs, sex, rock & roll".Sad

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.