ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Class Connection Survey?

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 01/03/14 05:27 PM Views: 967 Replies: 14
Friday, January 3, 2014 at 5:27 PM

I am working on a list of questions to incorporate in a survey to post on our site, regarding their feelings* on using Class Connection on Facebook.
[An email via Email The Class will be used to notify them of the survey.]

I am curious if any other admin's have or will do this.

Thanks,
Steve

p.s. - The first part of the survey will be simply a compilation of statements that Brad has posted in the admin forums that explain many of the features.

* - one classmate has already informed me that he will 'drop out' of the class web site if the FB App is used - thus, I want to get a consensus from the members.

Edited 01/03/14 5:28 PM
Friday, January 3, 2014 at 6:14 PM - Response #1

Good question Steve, thank you.

We'll have a lot more on this shortly. Got a bit bogged down in the new Profiles and the Holidays. I'm back in the office on the 8th and will be getting the final phases of the app in place with the team. Lots of stuff coming out regarding this in the coming days.

Be assured I'll answer this in much better detail shortly, but one quick thing to note or now: If you turn on the Facebook app, your classmates' data won't all of a sudden be shared on Facebook. Exact opposite in fact. Only the same classmates who have access to that data will have access to it when reading through Facebook. All privacy and security systems remain precisely the same. In fact in a sense the app isn't even "on Facebook." It's on our own servers. Facebook actually has no idea what it does. The only thing we're doing with Facebook API is sending up Notify Me messages to the Facebook globe. We also tap into their photo and video upload abilities. But there's absolutely zero sharing of info with Facebook.

While I know some here will use the app, and others won't, I think those who want to but are on the fence will feel more comfortable once a few walkthrough videos are out regarding this topic (it's the single most asked thing by the way). When your classmates understand there's simply no data sharing with Facebook I'm confident a lot of concerns will be put to rest. The Facebook app is just a convenient way to participate with your class in an interface people are already commonly in. Again though, it's not actually on Facebook. It's just right here on our own servers doing the same thing Class Creator is already doing. Nothing different at all.

Stay tuned for a complete overview on this topic and more, and we'll put some fears to rest before we launch.

Edited 01/03/14 6:15 PM
Friday, January 3, 2014 at 6:32 PM - Response #2

Steve - This isn't about Class Connection, but along the lines of trying something new . . . Our class is getting up there in age ('72) like yours. I put a Poll on our homepage and have had 19 Thumbs Up for the New Profile format and 0 Thumbs Down. So, for what it's worth . . . your classmates may like Class Connection once they see and try it . . . kind of like broccoli - you don't know if you like it until you try it! Maybe if you refer to it as Class Connection rather than Facebook, you'll have a more positive response. Very Happy

Friday, January 3, 2014 at 6:54 PM - Response #3

Hah! Ok that actually made me laugh. Smile Yes tell them how cool Class Connection is, and how the whole Facebook thing is secondary. Smile

Friday, January 3, 2014 at 9:13 PM - Response #4

I agree with Brad.... Class Connection to age? And by the way, I am '70 and though my bod ages (just like vehicles age), I am not 'getting up there'. Still laughing. Very Happy

Friday, January 3, 2014 at 9:47 PM - Response #5

18 with 52 years experience, Gwen! Very Happy

Friday, January 3, 2014 at 9:58 PM - Response #6

I posted a survey as to whether the class wanted the Facebook connection, just a simple yes or no. Out of 156 classmates, only 7 voted, 6 yes, 1 no. I also set up a forum for discussion of the issue. Not one person posted a comment. I'm assuming they don't have a problem with it. I have tried to explain it to them in class emails with info I received from Class Creator.

Friday, January 3, 2014 at 10:10 PM - Response #7

Brad Switzer wrote:

Hah! Ok that actually made me laugh. Smile Yes tell them how cool Class Connection is, and how the whole Facebook thing is secondary. Smile

Absolutely Brad!
Class Creator first, Class Connection second!

I TRY to survey my class whenever anything 'new' comes along though, and I let their responses dictate those 'new' things, as they may or may not affect the site.
Looking forward to seeing that additional information from you Brad!

Friday, January 3, 2014 at 10:20 PM - Response #8

I received an email that someone thinks others may read that I am 70 years old in my post. Rhonda, that would make you '72! Wink

Gwen Corey wrote:

I agree with Brad.... Class Connection to age? And by the way, I am '70 and though my bod ages (just like vehicles age), I am not 'getting up there'. Still laughing. Very Happy

Friday, January 3, 2014 at 10:35 PM - Response #9

Actually I conclude the opposite. People that do not like FB just don't post. For sure they won't post in a forum.

Posting surveys and analyzing the validity of responses can be done objectively IF the questions are not 'loaded'. But there have to be more than 7 responses out of 156. This isn't opinion, it's a fact.

Here's a LINK to figure out how many responses are required at what confidence (meaning how sure you are of the answer).

For a population of 156 and 95% sure with a 5% margin of error you need 111 responses.

For 229 same confidence, etc there have to be 144 responses.

Yes, that was originally what I was trained in.Wink

(Trivia: for a good idea of what people are thinking you only need 1000 responses for the whole USA, IF the samples are random throughout the US. It's not linear).

Jim Foohey wrote:

... Out of 156 classmates, only 7 voted, 6 yes, 1 no. I also set up a forum for discussion of the issue. Not one person posted a comment. ..

Edited 01/03/14 10:39 PM
Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 12:08 AM - Response #10

Hah-hah! I did read that as you being 70 . . . and was thinking, "That woman is lookin' dang good for 70!" Hey, we've still got a few good years left! Laughing

Edited 01/04/14 12:09 AM
Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 12:14 AM - Response #11

Boy you all are old. I'm only '61Twisted Evil

Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 12:35 AM - Response #12

Hey!!! What's wrong with being 72??? A very young 72, I might add... My grandkids say I'm the same mental age they are. Some truth in that!

Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 8:27 PM - Response #13

I'm getting into this a little late, But Steve, I'd be interested in taking a look at the questions in the survey. It might raise some questions I didnt think of.
Barbara

Sunday, January 5, 2014 at 11:39 AM - Response #14

Before I post my survey questions for the purpose of sharing, if folks will send me a private message with their questions, I will compile them in a single post here, probably around the end of the week.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.