ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

classmate obituary

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 11/07/16 03:07 PM Views: 1278 Replies: 11
Monday, November 7, 2016 at 3:07 PM

One of our classmates who lived in Evert, Washington, Rachel Rothenberger Manning died in the last 3 to 4 months.. I have been trying to find her obituary online with no success. I was wondering what resources other administrators use to find obits for classmates.. Most websites want money for information.. I've tried the Evert newspaper and funeral homes. If she wasn't buried in Evert, I'm trying to find a website for the state of Washington.. Would appreciate any suggestions.

Monday, November 7, 2016 at 6:00 PM - Response #1

I always go to Legacy.com. They publish the obituaries of (according to their website) 1,500 newspapers and 3,500 funeral homes. They also have an ongoing search for any obituaries that contain a certain word or phrase, and notify you by email. My search looks for any obituary that has the name of my high school in it.

I copy and paste the text of the obituary into the classmate's In Memory page, but I preface it with a header (Obituary from the XX Newspaper Website), and I follow it with a link to that page.

Monday, November 7, 2016 at 6:02 PM - Response #2

Not everyone has an obituary these days, it can be quite expensive. Legacy.com is a good resource, or just a Google search for her name might help. I am pretty sure you have already done this. Why not call a family member to see if something was published? Gloria Moreau, Central HS Bridgeport, CT

Monday, November 7, 2016 at 6:21 PM - Response #3

I check with the hometown newspaper obits first then Legacy then if no success I have had excellent results by sending an email to our classes requesting any available assistance. Just sent an email to our classes and received multiple responses.

Edited 11/07/16 6:22 PM
Monday, November 7, 2016 at 6:51 PM - Response #4

I've had good luck with findagrave.com by starting in a county search, then state, then nation. Sometimes they list obits or place of death.

Monday, November 7, 2016 at 7:49 PM - Response #5

I have found several deceased classmates through findagrave.com

Monday, November 7, 2016 at 8:43 PM - Response #6

Try contacting the County Clerk [at least that is what they are called here in Texas] in Snohomish County, which is the county seat of Everett, WA, explain why you are inquiring, and see if they have her listed as deceased there. [many states require that a deceased's drivers license and voter registration certificates be turned in.]
If the person was cremated, and they chose not to publish an obituary, there may be nothing else you can do.
[this very thing occurred here with a friends sister just last week- not even church service.]
Did any of your classmates keep up with her?
Any relatives living that you know of?

Tuesday, November 8, 2016 at 2:52 AM - Response #7

Here's what appears to be the link to the obituary for Rachel's father, who passed away in 2009. It lists several relatives and where they live. Try contacting one of these relatives.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=38713958

Edited 11/08/16 2:54 AM
Tuesday, November 8, 2016 at 9:31 PM - Response #8
Rolland Rothenberger Find A grave.jpg

Here is a page clipped from Linked In for Howard Rothenberger.(The page is attached to the 2nd post below). The Obituary for Rolland Rothenberger from Find a Grave lists Rachael as a daughter and Howard as a son.
If you open the attachments you will see the Find A Grave Obituary and the Information for Howard. This should allow you to make contact with her brother. I have searched extensively for information on Rachael with no luck yet.
Regards,
Steve Sipos
AHS Class of 1964
Poughkeepsie NY

Edited 11/08/16 9:39 PM
Tuesday, November 8, 2016 at 9:36 PM - Response #9
Howard Rothenberger.jpg

Continued. Here is the link to Howard Rothenberger. I could only attach one item per reply.

Sunday, November 13, 2016 at 9:55 AM - Response #10

I asked a friend who volunteers at the local genealogy library if she had any suggestions for you. Here is her reply:

I did a little poking around while at the Library yesterday and found (I think) the place to order recent death certificates. As you will see, they can provide them right up to recent times.

Go to doh.wa.gov. In the left hand column, click the Get a birth, death or marriage certificate button. Under "We can help you with:" click Ordering birth, death, marriage and divorce certificates. Under "How to Order Certificates" click Request a record search ONLY. Print this page and fill out the section for death certificate search only. Fill out and mail with $8.00 and if your person did indeed die when and where you suspect, you should get her info in the mail. No need to order the death certificate itself unless you just want to spend $20.00 instead of $8.00.

PS: Also, as far as the SSDI: It is updated monthly, but the sites that provide them don't always update that information in such a timely manner. Supposedly, the funeral home or crematorium sends the death certificate to Social Security as soon as they get it, which is usually pretty quick.

Thursday, November 24, 2016 at 11:35 AM - Response #11

Could it be in EVERETT, WA? I live in OR and have never heard of an Evert WA.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.