ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Alternate emails

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 09/03/09 04:25 PM Views: 2156 Replies: 17
Thursday, September 3, 2009 at 4:25 PM

I find that my e-mail address has been added as the alternate e-mail in some accounts. Since the excel sheet doesn't show alternates, how can I find the two remaining culprits without going through 647 records?

Thursday, September 3, 2009 at 4:50 PM - Response #1

That's a good question. We're going to make some tweaks to allow you to specify which fields are included in your Excel download. But as you pointed out, right now you just get the basic contact details and primary email. Until the new select tools are added, if you want to fill out our Support form (click Contact Us above) and tell us the email address we'll be happy to remove it from any accounts other than the primary account.

Edited 09/03/09 4:52 PM
Thursday, September 3, 2009 at 4:51 PM - Response #2

John Thompson wrote:

I find that my e-mail address has been added as the alternate e-mail in some accounts. Since the excel sheet doesn't show alternates, how can I find the two remaining culprits without going through 647 records?

This might not be the BEST solution, but it might work. Since e-mails are sent to both addresses, you could do a Mass E-mail with the subject "Test - please ignore", the body of "testing the e-mail", or if you really have something to say, that would be even better.

After you select all 647 classmates, send the e-mail. You will get a summary page of all the e-mail addresses that it went to. copy this sheet off to NotePad or some other editor so it doesn't get lost.

Now export your classmates to the Excel spreadsheet. Look in the NotePad document for your e-mail address. If I remember right, the Alternate e-mail is shown after the primary e-mail address, so if you search for the primary e-mail address that is right above your e-mail address, it should work.

Or then again, maybe Brad could just run a database query.

Good luck.

Kyle

Thursday, September 3, 2009 at 5:16 PM - Response #3

ClassCreator improvement suggestion:

Since Alternate E-mail addresses are usually what people want to get e-mail at here is a suggestion.

The Admin Functions/Statistics/Last Login screen (class_Admin_last_logins.cfm) has a mouse-over link that will show the e-mail that will be sent when the word "EMAIL" is clicked. Also, in the status bar, the words "mailto:johndoe@aol.com" appears. If the classmate has an alternate e-mail, then the "mailto:" should include the alternate e-mail addresses, too and also the Mouse-Over text should display the alternate e-mail addresses. (separated by commas)

Just a suggestion, take it or leave it.

Edited 09/03/09 5:20 PM
Thursday, September 3, 2009 at 5:58 PM - Response #4

Kyle,
Thanks for the suggestions. However, the alternate e-mail is not shown in the spreadsheet, the emails sent to list apparently does not list an alternate e-mail address even if the primary does not exist, and finally, the lastlogin apparently works the same with only the primary listed.
I'll try the contact us and include a request for the yearbook photo name to be includedVery Happy
THANX
john

Thursday, September 3, 2009 at 9:55 PM - Response #5

FYI the Primary Email address can't not exist. It also serves as site login ID.

Thursday, September 3, 2009 at 10:23 PM - Response #6

That's like in the 80's when they told me a ZX80 couldn't handle a five string array. I was glad I had completed my project before they told me. Otherwise I would not have gotten the grade book program I made to work.

I found at least two classmate uploads from our spreadsheet that had no primary but had my e-mail as alternate.

At least I'm down to only receiving three emails when I send one out.

Thanks again,
john

Thursday, September 3, 2009 at 11:52 PM - Response #7

Can you tell me the name of an actual member (somebody who has joined your web site) who doesn't have a primary email address?

Friday, September 4, 2009 at 12:14 AM - Response #8

John Thompson wrote:

how can I find the two remaining culprits without going through 647 records?
How is it 647 records when you only have 102 classmates listed on your site? And only 15 have profiles?

Friday, September 4, 2009 at 12:56 AM - Response #9

Brad,
As I said, they had no primary as they were added by csv upload. Can't say if my e-mail was added to the alternate after they actually joined or if it was there from the start. I'd just start getting emails after several joined (went to the site, entered an e-mail and password, and updated what we had for their profile).

Kyle,
Although my profile shows St Cecilia's, I also do a site for Highlands '64 in San Antonio. I did mention in the Contact Us that it was for that site. Sorry I didn't specify in the forum.

john

Friday, September 4, 2009 at 7:31 AM - Response #10

OK, that explains it. Since I don't know your other website, I can't check out this theory below.

There was an issue a while back, don't know if it was before you joined or not, but it had to do with using FireFox to edit the contact details of a classmate. If you had set up FireFox to autofill Username & password, then editing the DETAILS of a classmate would insert the Admin's e-mail into the classmate's Alternate E-mail.

The order on the DETAILS page used to be USERNAME/Email, Alternamte EMail, then Password. Since Alternate E-mail was right before password, FireFox autofilled the ADMIN's E-MAIL ADDRESS into the Alternate E-mail address.

When people started to complain people were first told to turn off AutoFill for FireFox. Then, with improvements to CC, the Primary EMail and Password were moved to be one after the other. This stopped the problem completely. And now, The PASSWORD field isn't even displayed on the DETAILS page if the classmate hasn't joined.

Maybe this answers your original question - If you remember which classmates you added detail information to using FireFox (or look in the spreadsheet that is exported and compare to the original upload spreadsheet and you see additional information (address/phone, etc.) ), those classmates might be ones you edited with FireFox.

Here is the Forum Topic I was referencing: http://forums.classcreator.com/messages.cfm?messageid=505F325E-0D7F-0441-792A0D9AD960F1F8#505F325E-0D7F-0441-792A0D9AD960F1F8

Edited 09/04/09 8:09 AM
Friday, September 4, 2009 at 11:29 AM - Response #11

No information added through firefox. Just an upload of the spreadsheet on creation of highlandsclassof64DOTorg.

It could be that the individual themselves used firefox, but we just don't have that many browser-savvy folks.

I have found most of the alternate entries after a classmate receives an internal message from another classmate. If I get a copy of the "You have a message" e-mail, I go to that classmate and (sure enough) there's my e-mail in alternate.

Friday, September 4, 2009 at 3:00 PM - Response #12

Just to be clear, a non member, I.E. somebody who is on your Class List but hasn't joined your site yet, can have no primary email address. An actual member, I.E. somebody who has joined your site, cannot.

Even though you imported your Class List, if you ever edited any of those Profiles thereafter, and you had anything with auto fill turned on (there are several programs and plugins that autofill) you could have inadvertently saved your own email address in the primary email address field. I know at first this doens't seem lkely, however, every single time this has ever happened, it's always been the user's own computer auto filling forms for them. There's literally no way our system can fill in anything on your behalf.

Saturday, October 3, 2009 at 1:46 PM - Response #13

I have a similar, but different, situation. I copied-n-pasted the "emails have been sen to...." message. I am comparing those to the ones I have in my local database. I have a number of them (maybe 100 or so) that I do not have in my local database. I'd like to add them but I don't know who they belong to without going through every profile. Some I can figure out and guess by the name in the address and then verify against the profile. But others - I cannot even guess the persons name. Something like "loves2fly at xyz.com".

Until your new feature is available, is there a way for me to get a report of everyone in my "class" who has an alternate e-mail listed, giving me the name, primary e-mail and alternate e-mail? Once I clean up from this list, I will watch more closely as new people are added and check for these alternates.

I've been checking them one by one but it is a painstaking process.

Thanks.

Saturday, October 3, 2009 at 2:06 PM - Response #14

No, this is not possible until we add the feature where you can export your class list specifying exactly which fields you wish to export. Several items are ahead of this Task but it's not too far down now either.

Thursday, December 16, 2010 at 6:56 PM - Response #15

is this capability available yet?

Friday, December 17, 2010 at 3:17 PM - Response #16

Not yet. Still coming soon Smile

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 at 3:27 PM - Response #17

The Export Classlist now has an "Alternate E-mail" column

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.