ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Adding comments about a classmate who has not joined

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 02/12/14 09:40 AM Views: 751 Replies: 8
Wednesday, February 12, 2014 at 9:40 AM

A while back I found a photo of one of our classmates that appeared in a 1961 newspaper. Earlier this week I added that photo to gallery on our web site. The classmate depicted in the photo has not joined our site even though he has internet access.

Last night, another classmate sent an email to me that contained comments about the photo. The comments are very interesting, and I'm sure others in our class will be interested in reading them.

The question I have is: where should those comments be posted?

- The classmate who has not joined does not have a profile so the comments can not be placed there.

- I could place the comments in the photo gallery but that would make the gallery entry very long, and probably the print would be too small to read.

- The classmate who sent the email with the comments could place the comments in his profile, but somehow it does not seem logical to put comments in my profile about another classmate.

So my question to you is: what's your advice on where these comments should be placed?

Thanks, Bob

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 at 4:23 PM - Response #1

Not sure what to recommend. You might be able to add this info below the content you added and quote it for the person who made the comment. We had decided that we were not going to allow for comments to be added to profiles of those who have not joined as they are not there to "police" the content of anything that might be added that was not in good taste.

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 at 5:00 PM - Response #2

I understand your concern Scott. Because most of our classmates do not access our web site every day, I end up policing it for inappropriate comments.

After thinking about my problem for most of the day, here's what I ended up doing.

When I first built the web site, I included a forum in User Forums called "Favorite High School Memories". Today, I started a new topic under that forum and posted the comments there. I also included a link to the photo that sparked the comments so folks could quickly refresh their memory.

I have not emailed the class yet so don't know how it will go over, but I don't see any reason this will not work.

If anyone else has any ideas, please chime in.

Thanks.

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 at 5:01 PM - Response #3

That is probably the best way to handle it. Thanks for the update.

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 at 6:01 PM - Response #4

You could screen snap (alt-print screen) the email, paste it into a picture editor, crop as needed, and save it as a jpeg. Pictures can be added to a non-joined member's profile (or master picture) by an admin via Edit Classmates. And they do show up - even if the member has not joined.

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 at 6:46 PM - Response #5

Actually, why don't you write a personal letter to the unjoined classmate (if you have his address) and let him or her fknow that one or two jclassmates who have joined are asking about him or her. Maybe this will spur that person to join to see the comments.

Thursday, February 13, 2014 at 10:00 AM - Response #6

Great idea John. Thanks.

Thursday, February 13, 2014 at 10:03 AM - Response #7

Thanks for the suggestion Marie. Rather than a letter, we have people calling the unjoined classmate stating that people are inquiring about him. He lives in the town where we went to school and sees many of his old classmates around town. So far he has resisted out attempts to join.

Thanks for your suggestion Marie.

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 at 8:52 PM - Response #8

Excellent idea, Marie. The info for the two looking for the not-yet-joined classmate could be send in the note or letter. In today's information age of... well, you know (technology).... so many do have wish to write a real letter. I'm thinking of buying note paper, envelopes, pens, stamps and giving it as a gift. We need more snail mail... to brighten our days. Bills and/or junk mail is a bummer.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.