ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Making an "alter ego" profile

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 08/27/11 04:29 PM Views: 1884 Replies: 16
Saturday, August 27, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Has anyone ever created a profile so that you are able to see the site through a "classmates" eyes. I am not trying to be secretive and I would say so right on the profile. I want to make sure that classmates CAN see what I want them to see and obviously the reverse too, but the former is more likely.

This would be totally up front. I am not talking about creating some name where people ask who is that or even creating a guest membership, although that could be done too.

What have some others done?

Thanks, Denise

Saturday, August 27, 2011 at 4:39 PM - Response #1

Why don't you just create an invisible guest user and then login as that guest. You will see everything like the other classmate see it.

Saturday, August 27, 2011 at 4:59 PM - Response #2

That worked, and did what I want it to. Thank you. I am so tempted to create about 10 alter egos and vote on the poll. Haha, just kidding!

If you can see our site, the large majority of people want "casual" and what they don't realize is that "casual" means that the committee usually ends up doing more of the work! We are 58 and I think I have found the answer for five years hence. The American Legion is thought of as casual, but they do events right and will do whatever we want!

Thanks alot Kyle. You are supposed to be relaxing this weekend!

Denise

Saturday, August 27, 2011 at 5:05 PM - Response #3

My husband helped with the reunion this year. He is a non classmate so it gave me a chance to see what he saw. I had set him up!

Saturday, August 27, 2011 at 5:18 PM - Response #4

Interesting Becky. My husband was a teacher. I would love to set him up and he has no interest, but there may be someone along the way in the future. This is not something I would do often. Now guest members, we have 19 and I don't have a problem with any of them, but they are fully identified. That is one way we "sold" the product to the next class and the class two years younger is taking a long look!

DKD

Saturday, August 27, 2011 at 5:25 PM - Response #5

I can "Relax" and answer forum questions at the same time

Saturday, August 27, 2011 at 6:25 PM - Response #6

I did set up an alternate for myself that did not have an ADMIN viewpoint as a lot of simple questions could not be answered because I did not see what they were seeing. Worked great!

Saturday, August 27, 2011 at 7:14 PM - Response #7

I set up one some time ago. If you go to my site and look up "Rufus T. Firefly" (character Groucho Marx played in Duck Soup) you can see what I did. His profile is unlocked.

I was creating some video tutorials (also unlocked) on my site and wanted them to be done from a classmate's perspective.

As you can tell from the "profile", had a lot of fun creating it. Rufus got several nice replies from classmates (especially the gals who purported to have gone out on dates with him and had such a great time Wink ) that made me sort of jealous of him! Appears he was more active than I was. Very Happy

Jim

Edited 08/27/11 7:16 PM
Saturday, August 27, 2011 at 7:21 PM - Response #8

Great concept.

Saturday, August 27, 2011 at 7:45 PM - Response #9

I set up a admin in the guest so it was a nondescript person running or adding things. I keep saying I don't want to make the news ... Just report it.

I let my other admin in on the passwords and that way it doesn't look like we are doing anything without checking with anyone.

It gets sticky sometimes to have you pop up as admin and not just a classmate.

Would like to get more participation from classmates to be more in charge of coming up with activities. They sort of have done that on FB but, I have to go around and clean up the mess it causes when they don't let all classmates know.

I have tried to get them to form groups in the forums and have different groups of interest that don't have to be open to all just those with the same interest. But, they have trouble figuring out how to post. Frankly so did I at first.

We have a problem in my class for the ones that can't and won't figure out how to use things on here or FB. Too Techie for them.

There are some teachers we would like on the FB. One teacher isn't that much older than us and SHE made passes at the guys back in the day. It sounds like it could be a potential problem within the group yet.

I'd like to find a teacher that would work with me as an admin to keep track of the teacher guest. Don't feel like it is fair to exclude if we decide to include! LOL!

One of the Admins told us about her. At that point there wasn't guest lists. I am hesitant to start that since it's hard enough to find the rest of the @ 1,000 classmates.

Now we are having a party for all the classes in the 1960's (Class of '67 is having it.) Our highest count in those years was a class of 1,200 and smallest over 500)

We had some Nigerian person move in on one of our classmates. (Took his name off and added his faux name). With just the 2 of us maintaing the website until the next official reunion.

I think it might be a good idea to have an alter ego and I have often wondered what things look like. (I think my other admin has done it in someway.) So, thanks for the suggestion.

Laughing sorry I keep rambling on but, it is a big Question dealing with my group. Rolling Eyes

Saturday, August 27, 2011 at 7:51 PM - Response #10

Kyle Erickson wrote:

Why don't you just create an invisible guest user and then login as that guest. You will see everything like the other classmate see it.

Kyle what do you mean by invisible guest? How is that done? You say it is like being a classmate? If we put up more security with the extra passwords, I thought the guest couldn't go there.

Still trying to figure out how to do that. with the security.

Saturday, August 27, 2011 at 7:55 PM - Response #11

Just add another "classmate", using any name you want, give it your e-mail address (or a fake e-mail address), then for the password, use something you will remember that it is just for the guest.

On the Manage Classmates, DETAILS page for the classmate, you will see this menu option:
Show On Class List:        Yes No Show as Guest Member

If you choose NO, the classmate will be just like a GUEST member, but won't show up on the Classmate Profiles page. GUEST members are just like classmates and can access any page that a classmate can access.

Saturday, August 27, 2011 at 9:05 PM - Response #12

We've added Lyle D'Lion (Guest Member).

Since our 40th reunion, we've passed around a little stuffed lion who needs a passport more than any of the rest of us. He's been to England, Italy, Germany, and this summer to the Special Olympics in Athens,Greece.

Also, Arnold Ziffel was a pretend classmate in the regular classmate list for the purpose of doing just what you asked about. He is still around, also.

Edited 08/27/11 9:06 PM
Saturday, August 27, 2011 at 9:09 PM - Response #13

There was an admin in these forums that used the name/password "imaguest"

and it is set up so that others can visit the site and take a look, etc. It's easy to remember. Make up a fake e-mail.(One you can remember!)It will bounce when you "e-mail the class", but it works to get a "visitor's perspective", and even vote on the poll if you need an extra voice!

Thanks to whoever this admin was! It's a great idea and easy to remember!
Thanks for the instructions Kyle.
Great Fun idea for the profiles, Jim! Thanks for sharing!

Edited 08/27/11 9:12 PM
Saturday, August 27, 2011 at 10:10 PM - Response #14

HINT: Make sure you logout from the guest account and log in to your admin account or you won't see any of your admin functions.

Saturday, August 27, 2011 at 10:16 PM - Response #15

My name is …CAV… I have never thought of myself as an “alter ego”. …CAV… is short for Cavalier and I am the spirit of the class … the enthusiasm of the class … the energy of the class … the emotion of the class … the intensity of Crossland High School’s Class of ’69. “alter ego” … no … I am for real!!!

When our Class of ’69 joined the ClassCreator family back in October 2008 we wanted a website for the Class … by the Class. We did not want one individual’s name to be pinned to the site, so we created …CAV… to handling all the day to day business of running a website. It has been a lot easier to send out Class emails, answer password questions, and ask for Class participation and try to be funny as …CAV… instead of “Joe ’69 Classmate”.

There are only a few ’69 classmates who really know who …CAV… is and that is the way we want it. If classmates email or ask who …CAV… is? The response …CAV… is the spirit of the Class of ’69.

Kudos,

CAV
aka (y’all really thought I would put my name . . . didn’t you?!?)

ps. Have you figured out why …CAV… has three dots before and three dots after his name?
Click here to Go to …CAV’s… profile.

Edited 08/27/11 10:29 PM
Sunday, August 28, 2011 at 12:53 AM - Response #16

What a unique and creative way to create your web site! Congratulations! Your enthusiasm is admirable!
Thanks for sharing, and "no worries", your "secret" is safe with us!Cool
How Fun for everyone!
p.s. Hope you are all safe from the wrath of "Aunt Irene" and her weather-making machine!!

Edited 08/28/11 12:54 AM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.