ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Need advice on motivating classmates

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 03/21/10 10:38 AM Views: 2590 Replies: 16
Sunday, March 21, 2010 at 10:38 AM

I'm looking for some advice on how to send out a direct email/notice to our class letting them know the importance of planning meetings.
I've tried setting up actual meetings to which there has been very little response. Then I tried setting up chat times for planning meetings...once again...hardly anything.
I really don't think our class understands the importance of getting this ball rolling especially with 7 months to go and still NO MONEY!!
I get the typical "let me know if there is anything I can do" but I'm at that point of I work 5 days a week, sometimes over 40 hours most of which I'm having to tell juveniles what they need to do. I shouldn't have to tell people that are now 20 years out of high school what they should be doing. I feel they should say...I can do this or this or this.
So how do I handle this without coming off like a pain in the butt and be direct and firm and productive?

Sunday, March 21, 2010 at 12:49 PM - Response #1

One thing I have found is that you can't ask. Just tell 'em! Meeting on Tuesday! Then send out a reminder, the day before.

I don't know why, but "all class" emails don't get responses from our group. We will get a spike in site visits, but almost no responses from the group when I ask for help! Even our biggest supporters seldom respond to "all class".

So, now I am watching "sign on status" for a classmate who is logging on frequently. I ask that person personally if they would be willing to come to the meetings. Usually I ask specific questions..i.e. I love the art work you posted on your profile! Would you consider helping with decorations for our reunion?

We have about 10 classmates out of 157 registered members that come to planning meetings. 7 sit and watch....3 of us do a majority of the work...

I'm looking forward to seeing more answers to your question. Seems we all need help with this one! Laughing

Edited 03/21/10 12:50 PM
Sunday, March 21, 2010 at 1:30 PM - Response #2

At the risk of sounding snotty, I'll give my two-cents worth here. If you're having to have meetings to pull off a reunion--no matter how many year-reunion it is---you're working wayyyy toooo hard when you have Class Creator at your fingertips.

When we had our 40th high school reunion last year, it was the first time in like 20-40 years most of us had seen one another. We had a class of like 220 people---many of whom had moved out of the area, changed married names, etc. The reunion was in June (critical scheduling so that it didn't interfere with family gatherings and vacations--because, trust me, a reunion is usually going to loose out against a family gathering.) In December, six months prior, a friend found me Class Creator. I filled in the blanks and set up a website, then just kept asking each person who logged in to "tell others". I found a venue (a martin bar/restaurant with a lot of extra space). I told them, "I'll bring in at least 20 people--(little did I know)--up to maybe even 150. Can you go with the flow?" I also told them I didn't want to pay for the room, or anything else. (Most reunions fail because they cost too much and ask people to make an immediate time commitment months ahead. I mean, who does that anymore?)

I simply told the class (as the log-ins trickled in)---show up, place your order, and that's what it'll cost you. Order ice water, no problem. No cost. And, uh, no RSVP needed. Don't expect decorations or fancy programs. (Another huge key!) I mean, seriously, who needs decorations? Who, freaking, cares? Who wants to take in money? Have planning meetings?

The economy is so bad there are LOTS of clubs, restaurants that would LOVE to know that someone's working an internet site and trying to get lots of people to come to their venue. Call around. Act like YOU are bringing them business and they should appreciate it.

Once you have the venue, just keep up the chat with class e-mails. Eventually someone will say, "Hey, I'd be happy to help with something." Then assign them something. But e bprepared for NO ONE to help. You really don't need it.

In my case, eventually a few people offered to help and all I did was assign them a few names to see if they could find a few classmates using Whitepages.com or find fellow classmates that might know what happened to them. One person came alongside me and enthusiastically helped but, really, it boiled down to mostly the two of us doing everything. We had no meetings--except for one to check out the venue that I'd already selected.

And it was simple. You're making it wayyyyy toooo hard on yourself. Upload the Excel list of your classmates to Class Creator(Brad here on CC can help you with that.) And then, as classmates log in, they're automatically added to your database. Just start working down the list and trust that one person will tell another, will tell another, will tell another IF you make it easy enough on everyone----including yourself.

End of story? We found approximately 80% of our class in six months. 50% of the entire class showed up. They were wild with enthusiasm over how simple (and classy) it was. Didn't hear a single complaint. And I felt like the reunion-rockstar at the end.

Sunday, March 21, 2010 at 1:36 PM - Response #3

Ronna,

Not snotty at all! ...and I am SO impressed!

Would like to start planning all over again for our upcoming birthday event!

Thanks!!!...we'll definitely be looking at your ideas for our 45th!

Ruth

Sunday, March 21, 2010 at 1:42 PM - Response #4

There are a lot of the classmates that have come across the site and have joined and I can tell that some are checking in regularly. I have sent out emails reminding them of everything the site has to offer and to please utilize forums, chats, etc but yet hardly anything. That's why I wanted to get a chat going since that could have so many involved without having to rearrange their schedules to come to a meeting. I've gotten the "just let me know where I can help but really never offers a specific area they'd like to do. It seems like there are 3 of us behind the scenes and of course the class fails to realize we still have no money to reserve some simple things. So that's why I was asking advice on how I need to handle an email because I have a tendency when I'm ticked off to have it come out in my typing and don't want to get people too mad. But at the same time, I want them to realize that it's time to grow up and help get organized and not let things flop like they did 5 years ago.

Sunday, March 21, 2010 at 3:03 PM - Response #5

I hate to tell you, but it gets no better when you are at the 45 or 50 year mark. We do all but stand on our heads and we still have a class of procastinators. Try calling and giving them a specific job to do and make it real to them. BUT, keep checking to be sure they've done it.

Sunday, March 21, 2010 at 3:16 PM - Response #6

Jamie, whatever you do, don't let THEM know you are mad! Talk to us...we totally get what you are going through.

I think Ronna hit it right on the head. Keep it simple, until you get more people to help, for a bigger and better 25th.

I just revisited your site. I would suggest that you get more specific on your posts. Give them a chat date and time. Make it weekly. Ask them for $10 membership donation to get things rolling. Give them a due date that's soon. (Posting today, I would ask for April 12). It doesn't matter if your committee actually needs the funds on that date. Either it will get things rolling, or you'll know they aren't interested in the plans you are making.

I tried the route of asking questions too. When I got the answers, there was no possible way to accommodate everyone anyway. You're doing the planning...until someone steps up with a better idea...tell them what's going to happen! I was amazed how easily they follow! I think they are just happy to have someone else doing the work! With a little luck, when people see how easily everything is going together, you'll get the volunteers you need.

Sunday, March 21, 2010 at 3:33 PM - Response #7

Hi Jamie!
All of the above is true...and i can really sympathize with you. It's very frustrating, but yet, ClassCreator once again comes through and provides "Hope"!
We have had many different types of "reunions", every way but Sunday, and all have their good and bad points, and no matter what, always "complaints" via the grapevine about "something"! Of course, those that complain the most are never the ones to find solutions, and they ask to "help" but are major no shows and yet find the energy to spread negativity!
Having not lived in our "home town"for 30 years...and having a great dislike for "meetings" (especially those meetings to plan the meetings...),this venue has been Heaven sent!
Many that were "recruited" to plan the last reunion are not speaking, are burnt out,etc from all the meetings five years ago! I didn't attend due to distance, but heard about them...The reunion was a great success, but many will never plan another one! So, i have sent out an "any volunteers" e-mail, very minimal response.Survey results have yielded minimal response and some are not sincere... Use your intuition to pick up on subtle clues from others...
Many are just waiting to be asked, perhaps on a smaller scale, like a phone call or personal e-mail! With a little prompting, we have "hosts" willing to emcee the evening, someone to get the Facebook activity going,someone to offer the prayer before the food is served, a classmate willing to donate a banner and print the program,acknowledging those who generously helped,etc which will include the ideas from this forum venue! (Thanks everyone!)
Our venue has changed a few times,as suggested above,to a very eager restaurant whose owner who is willing to give us his place for the evening, if we make it "worth his while" at the bar, which our class most certainly will.
Times are challenging for everyone and keeping costs down for our class is essential to decrease stress. If you know your audience, your conscience will be your guide. Many from our class will not come if it's too dressy or pricey,etc...and at this point we just want to see everyone!
Decorations for us will be simple, votive candles and balloons, some flowers in season...a local gas company donates Helium if asked...we will try to get a raffle going and have a donation jar for expenses. Miracles Happen!
The "plan" is to use the K.I.S.S. method of planning and make sure that all feel welcome...Life is short and one never knows when we will all meet again!
Anyway, sorry for the babbling...but if you work with juveniles all week long, you are well prepared to deal with pulling off a great reunion! Ask a few that you know might come through and see who they can "recruit"! You'll be surprised! And even if you don't really "know" them they will probably be very flattered to be asked personally to contribute to the Fun of the reunion! You will still be the "ring leader" and thanks to ClassCreator, you will be able to orchestrate the best reunion yet! Have Fun! (i am hoping we will all be reporting back in this summer about how wonderfully everything "fell together"!)Cool
Rethinking everything can often lead to something more Fun and even better than the first "plan"!
"Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape"...an old Finnish proverb!

kris

Edited 03/21/10 3:44 PM
Sunday, March 21, 2010 at 3:53 PM - Response #8

Jamie I support what you are saying/asking. One thing a lot of people don't understand is the demands that are put on us in this day and age. Since you are in the age group where "family" and "job" is the most important area of life--Class Reunion--and especially high school reunions are part of the lowest denominator! I quite agree with Ronna K.I.S.S. is probably your best approach. If you have a specific need--then post it.

I consider myself 'very fortunate' in that our website is addressing our upcoming 50th Reunion. Most of our age group is "retired" and while many have "grandkids" they are often hundreds if not thousands of miles away. So all most of us have to deal with are various social events, working on hobbies, fixing a leaky faucet or painting a room in the house--in other words we have more time on our hands! Another thing about our age group is that we have "this curiosity" about what happened to "my best friend" or wonder if George "the most likely to succeed" did and what is his life like today?

So, Jamie, hang in there. I admire what the 10th, 20th and 30th classes are having to deal with and go thru in these times! Good Luck--YOU WILL SUCCEED You may not know how it will happen today--but it WILL!Laughing

Sunday, March 21, 2010 at 4:15 PM - Response #9
Taterfront.gif

Jamie,
Have no fear! At our last reunion, all those on the plannig side held their breathe till the last possible moment, but the class came through and really surprised everyone!
Do to the informality of this current reunion,no mailers,etc,I've even resorted to "bribery", hoping to "challenge" those unsuspecting types...but am trusting that the perpetual "procrastinators" will rise to the occasion!
But here's a little ditty to remind you to hang in there! Great things are in store!

Tater People...
TATER PEOPLE
Some people never seem motivated to participate, but are just content to watch while others do the work.

They are called "Spec Taters".

Some people never do anything to help, but are gifted at finding fault with the way others do the work.

They are called "Comment Taters".

Some people are very bossy and like to tell others what to do, but don't want to soil their own hands.

They are called "Dik Taters".

Some people are always looking to cause problems by asking others to agree with them. It is too hot or too cold, too sour or too sweet.

They are called "Agie Taters".

There are those who say they will help, but somehow just never get around to actually doing the promised help.

They are called "Hezzie Taters".

Some people can put up a front and pretend to be someone they are not.

They are called "Imma Taters".

Then there are those who love others and do what they say they will. They are always prepared to stop whatever they are doing and lend a helping hand. They bring real sunshine into the lives of others. They are called "Sweet Taters"!!!!!!

Edited 03/21/10 4:15 PM
Sunday, March 21, 2010 at 5:19 PM - Response #10
comixreunionlists.gif

just something found at gocomics.com

Edited 03/21/10 10:15 PM
Sunday, March 21, 2010 at 5:22 PM - Response #11
comizreunionrogerwhoareyou.gif

another...

Edited 03/21/10 5:22 PM
Sunday, March 21, 2010 at 5:24 PM - Response #12
comixreuniondenialsyndrome.gif

Jamie,
Everything will work out, but the "reunions" do get better as we get "older" because Life gets "funnier"! at least that's the line we're going with..!
One last one...just because...!

Edited 03/21/10 5:26 PM
Sunday, March 21, 2010 at 9:41 PM - Response #13

Can these comics be legally posted on our website?? They are hilarious. LaughingEmbarassedExclamation

Sunday, March 21, 2010 at 10:12 PM - Response #14

Darlene,
If you go to the above posted link for the web site, www.gocomics.com it urges you to "collect" as many as you like...a gold mine of humor, especially since our local paper discontinues all the really funny ones these days!
Let me know otherwise if you find out...there are some sights that specifically state their copyright, but all these are labeled and posted for sharing!
Have Fun!

Edited 03/21/10 10:14 PM
Sunday, March 21, 2010 at 10:23 PM - Response #15

Thanx...Kris. I have gocomics.com on my Yahoo Home Page. I will look into it..I would luv to put them on the Reunion Web page.

Monday, March 22, 2010 at 10:25 PM - Response #16

Thanks everyone! You all are awesome.
I have chosen to take a break these last couple of days and not address anything yet. Especially when I got off yesterday at 4pm I had just worked 24 hrs out of 36 so I figured I'd probably be a little grouchy no matter how or what I said or typed.
I should be a little more optimistic since we do have a place reserved for the main night and someone else working on the golfing part plus a set idea of that Friday night and the Saturday. I keep looking at what we don't have which is making me stressed. So I think if we can get money to roll in someway we'll get it together. I should have expected a lot of this especially since our class president gave up on doing this because he had been frustrated with how everyone's lack of concern or response.
I'll just find a optimistic mantra...lol

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.