ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Follow button for Memory pages

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 06/04/15 03:41 PM Views: 1494 Replies: 12
Thursday, June 4, 2015 at 3:41 PM

As far as I can tell once a person is listed as deceased classmates are no longer able to choose the option to "follow" them. I think that this would be a good idea so that classmates may choose that option and then will be automatically be notified when someone has posted a comment to the deceased's profile and also would be notified of any changes i.e. updates on funerals, etc. were to occur.

Thursday, June 4, 2015 at 4:05 PM - Response #1

Most if not all of what you're looking for is already available via the Notify Me options that each classmate controls.

Thursday, June 4, 2015 at 4:54 PM - Response #2

Doesn't work if you're dead. I don't see a way for administrators to set Notify Me options for Memory pages or any other alumni pages than their own for that matter. Other ideas?

Thursday, June 4, 2015 at 7:40 PM - Response #3

Sorry, guess I don't understand your request.

Thursday, June 4, 2015 at 9:23 PM - Response #4

There is no Follow button after the name of a person who is deceased & their names are not on the class list in the Notify Me section. Someone may wish to "follow" someone who died to learn about funeral plans or read Memory comments posted by others. The suggestion is to add a Follow button to everyone, including the deceased.

Thursday, June 4, 2015 at 10:22 PM - Response #5

The Notify me when .... options above Profile Subscriptions are independent of whether or not one is following a classmate. So if one opts to be notified when a classmate has been added to In Memory and a classmate posts a comment to In Memory those individuals will get the notifications about which you are concerned.

Just make sure that when you as the admin are making entries or changes to In Memory that you select to send the notification out.

Friday, June 5, 2015 at 1:06 PM - Response #6

We can't opt to be notified of deceased classmate updates because their name is no longer on the class list under Profile Subscriptions.

We have a multi-year class of 1,880 registered alumni from our 105-year old school. Sending a notice when we change a memorial page would go to them ALL, most of whom wouldn't know the person & we'd get complaints of too much email.

I think there isn't a solution with the existing system. Thanks for trying to help!

Friday, June 5, 2015 at 3:04 PM - Response #8

Maybe there could be a general follow button for the Memory page so we could press it once and it would automatically give the ability to follow all people shown on that page?

Friday, June 5, 2015 at 5:11 PM - Response #9

Another idea would be able to select from a list of years [multi-year sites], those years a member would like to be notified of an In Memory entry?

Friday, June 5, 2015 at 5:31 PM - Response #10

Gary,
Good idea for a single year site. I have one of those too! Won't work for the multi-year site as people don't really care to read about people they don't know - although those obits are always the most fascinating!

Steve, good idea.
We have a very active obit searcher who is really dedicated to preserving memories of those who are no longer with us, but people don't often get drawn to the pages when they don't know of updates.

CC can you do that?
Sharon

Friday, June 5, 2015 at 10:46 PM - Response #11

I think Sharon brought up a good point. For my relatively small single year site, the Notify Me options for an In Memory move or comment are selected by almost everyone. But for a large class size or a multi-year site, people want to follow friends, but may not want to see all the In Memory moves and comments.

For the few here who, for whatever reason, do not have the In Memory notifies turned on, I try to address that by making some small change in the deceased classmate's profile (like the time zone) before I move them to In Memory. That notifys those following them, and adds their name in the Profile Updates box on the home page as a visible trigger for those logging in. And even if the deceased classmate never joined, clicking there will take you directly to the In Memory entry.

In fact, I've suggested before that an In Memory move is a no less important status change' and should be treated as if it was also a profile update. That would address the move, but would not address additional In Memory posts though.

So, I suggest that we do need to treat In Memory moves and comments the same way we treat profile updates and comments - sending a notify the same way we send a notify for a profile change to those subscribed. And we need to be able to subscribe to someone who is deceased so we will be notified of any additional In Memory posts for them.

Saturday, June 6, 2015 at 3:21 PM - Response #12

Yes, we use a space or something to trigger the profile update & it works if people are checking in before the name moves of the list. But it's very passive as a notification method.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.