ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Adding Admins

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 10/29/18 09:23 AM Views: 551 Replies: 4
Monday, October 29, 2018 at 9:23 AM

QuestionOK. I have a well established site that I have been administering solely for several years. There is a wealth of information there.

I now have a group who would like to have administrative rights and slowly transition to taking over the full administration.

Several of these people have IT background. What does anyone suggest as the best/easiest/fastest way to get them up to speed on how everything works together? I can give them admin rights for updating and closely monitor what they do. I fear losing historical information.

Suggestions? Thanks much.

Barbara

Edited 10/29/18 9:24 AM
Monday, October 29, 2018 at 11:05 AM - Response #1

I'd suggest adding them in one at a time, then have a session with each one by phone while you walk them through the admin functions. You can each click on the same page and function while you discuss it.

It may take an hour or two to go through everything, and more than one session. You could create a test page or two on which you experiment adding photos and text and making changes. That way, you won't alter current pages until you and the new admin are confident in what the new admin is doing.

Tuesday, October 30, 2018 at 11:18 AM - Response #2

Thanks. I was afraid of that and trying to avoid it but I guess it's the best way. How is it that most of us learned on our own without this type help? Maybe because CC has become so much more robust?

Tuesday, October 30, 2018 at 11:49 AM - Response #3

We learned through trial and error, and by contacting CC if we couldn't figure it out, and by using these forums.

Your new admins can also do this, but you want them to get up to speed as soon as possible, and not make errors you have to correct. Thus, if you tutor them, things will go better from the start.

Edited 10/30/18 1:27 PM
Wednesday, October 31, 2018 at 12:06 PM - Response #4

Website Administrator wrote:

Thanks. I was afraid of that and trying to avoid it but I guess it's the best way. How is it that most of us learned on our own without this type help?

Barbara,

Yes, most of us are pretty much self taught (with help from the forum, again at our effort). Your statement . . . I was afraid of that . . . trying to avoid . . . leads me to ask if this is a friendly offer of help, a hostile takeover or something in between?

One additional consideration is do you have the time and or desire to help train them?

If it is friendly, I think Scott's comments are good. If it is not, or you simply don't have the time, well, we all learned the hard way and there is no reason they can't learn the same way.

Your concern about losing historical information highlights an option that might be needed on the Grant Admin Status list of options, and that is to Delete Pages, or prevent them from being deleted and Active or Inactive.

I'd never thought about this until you asked the question, but it would be extremely nice to be able to grant or restrict co-administrator's ability to add and edit, but also be able to lock down existing content and restrict their ability to Add, Delete, Make Active or Inactive without Main Administrator permission. Much like an Announcement may or may not require permission.

I'd love to see the main Administrator be able to lock a page from any change or deletion while giving the Co-Admins the ability to Add, Edit, whatever, the remaining pages.

For the most part, it seems like we are operating under the assumption that all administration will be nice and friendly, but that is not always the case. I don't like to even go there, but perhaps it is time to consider the possibility of hostile takeovers and add functions to give the original Administrator a little more control of their site?

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.