ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Gallery Picture - Set as Not able to Copy?

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 10/05/10 01:26 PM Views: 1192 Replies: 2
Tuesday, October 5, 2010 at 1:26 PM

We have gotten in to a potential situation with our Photographer for the Class Reunion. She did a lot of pictures, very nice, including our Group Picture. She already has our pictures posted on her own website under our Group, with every picture marked as PROOF, and each one brings up Copyright Message as not copyable.(probably to be expected for a Photographer Business, but I don't think my Committee took this in to consideration)

I can do without all the otehr pictures, but REALLY want a copy of the Group to post on our own website. Haven't gotten a response from photographer yet, but I suspect the price will be high since it is Copyrighted, and the fact any of our Classmates could download their copy when they want.

If the question comes up, is there a way I could make a particular picture to NOT BE ABLE to Copy? I guess I would have to point my classmates to the other site to purchase one of their own, but I want one on our website. I realize I have to deal with Copyright directly with that person, but need to know my boundaries and capabilities to determine if the Photo is secure and Not Copyable. That may give me some Negotiation room.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 at 3:41 PM - Response #1

We could potentially add an option to block right clicking, but trust me it's not worth it. Anybody with even basic computer skills can get your image if they want to. There's only one way to keep an image out of the hands of others, and that way is to not post it at all. There's a whole variety of ways to grab somebody's photo from a public web site including:

1) Right click on it and simply saving it
2) Hit the print screen key and crop the resulting image in any graphics program
3) Simply open it up from your computer's browser cache
4) Print the page to PDF, load it into any image editing app, and crop just the image.
5) Print the image on paper, and scan it right back in
6) Use any screen capture program to nab the image, like jingproject.com.
7) Save the html page using the default save feature of your browser. The image will save too. Open up in any graphics app.

I could go on, that's just off the top of my head. The short answer is "no" though. Anybody who wants your image is going to get it if they know anything at all about computers.

Although I don't think this will apply here, in some situations it can be worth watermarking the image with an invisible watermark from digimarc.com. It won't stop somebody from nabbing your image, but it will prove ownership of the image. I.E. you could demand somebody stop using your image based on your ability to prove ownership from your watermark.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 at 3:59 PM - Response #2

Yes, understand. I guess I am just looking for a way to "Negotiate in Good Faith" with the Photographer should it come up. Maybe she has a higher price to sell/release her Copyright of the picture. Everyone has a price....LOL..........

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.