ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

The In Memory Page

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 11/08/08 12:35 PM Views: 2106 Replies: 15
Saturday, November 8, 2008 at 12:35 PM

As a long term project, but not too long as we're the class of '58, I’d like you to consider a couple modifications/options for the In Memory page. We older folks, unfortunately but naturally, probably spend more time in this area than some of the others.

First would be the ability to embed music at this level that would continue to play while one navigated in this area and this area only.

Second would be displaying in a grid fashion the pictures of all the deceased arranged alphabetically, perhaps included in a small “frame” along the lines seen here, http://www.geocities.com/shs_57/Remembered.html . I personally find alphabetical arrangement as opposed to year of death as being more convenient to navigate and find information.

Each picture would serve as the link to the entries for that individual. The current format for individuals is fine. The back button or perhaps link on the page could be used to return to the In Memory page.

I think this would be a nice upgrade to an already fantastic site.

Saturday, November 8, 2008 at 1:24 PM - Response #1

Wow! I checked it out and that is a great page. That would be a great addition to the In Memory functions, huh Brad!?

Edited 11/08/08 1:25 PM
Saturday, November 8, 2008 at 10:27 PM - Response #2

Thank you for the recommendations.

1) There is no way to make music play continually while only on one section of your site. The web just doesn't work that way. As you leave one page, a new page loads. When we make the main In Memory page editable, you could add a Playlist player with the pop out option to it. But even then people would at some point have to turn off the In Memory music themselves. We actually could make it play continually by using a rather old school feature called frames, but the designs aren't set up that way and for a whole variety of others reasons frames are not a good idea.

2) Regarding the sorting options, I added to the Task List several sorting options for the main In Memory page, including Year of Death, A-Z, and picture. We'll hold off on the frames for now because we'd have to come up with a whole combo of colors to please everybody so the color doesn't clash with their site, and as many Classmates have no In Memory photo, you'd get some with frames and some without, or a frame encasing a "no photo" icon which I suppose would be a little odd.

Saturday, November 8, 2008 at 11:14 PM - Response #3

Your responsiveness is appreciated as are your explanations regarding feasibility. Anticipating that it may be either impossible or undesirable to embed music and have it continue to play while one navigated about I've embedded music in each classmates profile in the In Memory area. I'll just continue with this practice.

My computer skills are minimal to non-existent but if there's any way I can be of help with this endeavor please let me know.

Edited 11/08/08 11:27 PM
Saturday, November 8, 2008 at 11:22 PM - Response #4

Why thank you, and you know what, you're already doing precisely that right now. Class Creator can be the web's most cutting edge Classmate system if we all continue to do 2 simple things:

1) You tell us what you need the system to do.
2) We listen to you and make it happen.

That's how we've gotten this far. I guess in that sense you could say that Class Creator is a system designed by the users, for the users.

Edited 11/08/08 11:23 PM
Sunday, November 9, 2008 at 10:17 AM - Response #5

Brad
Is it possible to have the system send an email message when the In Memory is updated with a comment? I find myself constantly checking to see if anyone added a comment to one of the existing classmates.

Thanks - great web site..........my classmates absolutely love the ability to keep in contact with everyone.

Now I need to register the domain...do you take PayPal?

Patrick R. Mattson

Sunday, November 9, 2008 at 9:17 PM - Response #6

Subscription options for the In Memory area are on the Task List. Stay tuned.

Classnames.net is just a branded site with the enom.com domain engine. I.E. we have zero control over it. They only accept credit cards.

Wednesday, December 17, 2008 at 3:37 PM - Response #7

Quote:

When we make the main In Memory page editable,

Brad, how far down the list would this change be?

Thanks for all your hard work.

Wednesday, December 17, 2008 at 5:32 PM - Response #8

It wasn't too far down the list. Until we put in a lot of new things above it, anyway. Smile

It shoulnd't be long. Maybe I can bribe Dave and see if he can pop that in there tonight.

Thursday, December 18, 2008 at 11:48 AM - Response #9

Rather that it gets in correctly then to have to spend twice as much time fixing it.

Happy Holidays.

Friday, January 23, 2009 at 5:20 AM - Response #10

I initiated this discussion and have to say that the current options under Classmate Profiles satisfies a large portion of what was initally suggested. I'm specifically referring to the ability to display the senior pictures and then display only the the deceased classmates by filtering via those in the In Memory section. In fact this almost precludes the need for the In Memory tab in my opinion.

Friday, January 23, 2009 at 9:14 AM - Response #11

Dear FC Bock,

I do not have anything to add concerning the In Memory subject. However, I do have to comment that your grammar and composition is absolutely impeccable! Kudos to you and to your English teachers! In this day of the new English due to texting and email abbreviations, it is wonderful to read the English language written so beautifully! Just had to comment.

Salutations from sunny but chilly Florida,

Pam Murray

Friday, January 23, 2009 at 12:23 PM - Response #12

F C Bock wrote:

I initiated this discussion and have to say that the current options under Classmate Profiles satisfies a large portion of what was initally suggested. I'm specifically referring to the ability to display the senior pictures and then display only the the deceased classmates by filtering via those in the In Memory section. In fact this almost precludes the need for the In Memory tab in my opinion.

You can always turn off that link on your site, although my gut feeling is people will have a harder time finding this info. The sorting options are great, but they won't necessarily jump out at everyone, especially when they're just getting familiar with your site.

Sunday, February 3, 2013 at 11:31 AM - Response #13

I have to tell you all at CC how much the Notify Me feature is appreciated. Within 5 minutes of it having been posted this morning I was alerted to an In Memory comment entered by a classmate. In the "old days" it's hard to say how long it would have been before I saw it.

Perhaps not a big deal in the overall scheme of things but, to me, it's aids like this that really enhance the user experience. Thanks CC.

Sunday, February 3, 2013 at 12:11 PM - Response #14

Most welcome F C. Smile

Sunday, February 3, 2013 at 5:23 PM - Response #15

Yes, it is an excellent tool!

I was walking an alum through the alumni site yesterday over the phone. When we came to In Memory, I noticed changes as to how we view classmates who have passed.

I could not find a sort by Class > Alpha. That is how I had it on the site before the upgrade. As many are friends or were acquaintances, being able to look at the list as it was made it easy to view. It was:

Class 1956
name
name

Class 1958
name
name

Can you add this sort back in, please?

AND... at the bottom of an individual's In Memory page, it would be helpful to have "Return to In Memory".

Thanks.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.