ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Changed Page

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 04/06/09 03:35 PM Views: 1134 Replies: 7
Monday, April 6, 2009 at 3:35 PM

I am a guest member and an administrator of the Springfield, VT High School Class of 1960 site. On the class of 1960 site I tried to add a link to my class of 58 site in the homepage field of my profile. I did something wrong and have made a change to the page format in that area without establishing the link. How did I err and what can I do to correct it?

Tuesday, April 7, 2009 at 1:39 AM - Response #1

Hi Fred,

You don't need to add the target information. It will automatically open in a new window. Check out the link on the 1960 site and see if that is what you wanted. It currently links to your profile on the 1958 site.

Tuesday, April 7, 2009 at 11:05 AM - Response #2

Jessica,

As I am its root administrator what I wanted to link to was the 58 home page. I've changed the URL accordingly and as you said it opens in a new window.

My original intent was to use HTML so that the link would be the words SHS Class of 1958. I've successfully done this type of thing in the spouse field on my 58 profile.

So I have four questions now:

1) Is it possible for me to use HTML in the Homepage field to have the link as I originally intended?
2) Was it my inclusion of target="blank" that caused the change to the page format?
3) Would there have been any way for me to have corrected that change?
4) Is there any way to know that a field has been set up such that a link will already open in a new window?

I know this type of thing takes you away from really important tasks but the help you've provided is greatly appreciated.

Fred

Tuesday, April 7, 2009 at 1:57 PM - Response #3

1) Is it possible for me to use HTML in the Homepage field to have the link as I originally intended?

Try using the exact same formatting you used on the other site to link to your wife's profile. If that worked there it should work in both unless you are running out of room in the field

2) Was it my inclusion of target="blank" that caused the change to the page format?

It is hard to tell you somehow had target=###### - the number was your member ID - that is why I thought you were looking to link to your own profile.

3) Would there have been any way for me to have corrected that change?

I just removed the entry entirely and clicked save and it removed the excess code. I then went back in and copied in just the code I wanted in the field.

4) Is there any way to know that a field has been set up such that a link will already open in a new window?

The website field is the only one that opens in a new window - we do that so users don't leave your class site while they are checking out other classmates web sites.

Tuesday, April 7, 2009 at 2:06 PM - Response #4

Thank you Jessica.

Fred

Tuesday, April 7, 2009 at 2:17 PM - Response #5

Jessica, Support wrote:

Try using the exact same formatting you used on the other site to link to your wife's profile. If that worked there it should work in both unless you are running out of room in the field.

I didn't run out of room when I put in the link without target="blank" but somehow that along with what appears to be my member number was inserted upon saving. Once again the format of the page is changed and I am unable to fix it as most of it is outside the box. I guess my best bet at this juncture is to just put in the URL which I'll do if you'd be so kind as to go in and delete what I'm unable to get to.

Tuesday, April 7, 2009 at 3:29 PM - Response #6

You can delete it by deleting everything that is visible in the website field box and then saving the page - when you go back in it should be gone. That is all I did the first time.

Tuesday, April 7, 2009 at 4:10 PM - Response #7

That worked and I just entered the URL. I'll leave well enough alone.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.