ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Notify classmates of changes to this page

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 11/22/14 03:55 PM Views: 1628 Replies: 10
Saturday, November 22, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Maybe it's just me, but... I find the Notify xxx classmates of changes to this page" function to be a trap, given that the default option is to send a notification. So you go into a page, clean up some typos, make a few tweaks, and -- unless you *uncheck* the notify radio button, several hundred classmates get emails telling them of an update. I'd like to see the Notify function above the save changes function; or the default radio button is off; or there's a warning message, Are you sure you want to notify 292 classmates of this change? Maybe it's me, but it has all the traits of a 'design-induced human error' the way it is now. Classmates want to know of substantive changes, not tweaks. Thanks!

Saturday, November 22, 2014 at 4:04 PM - Response #1

Fix that. Make Notify much more prominent even where it's above the more prominent Save button. Thanks!

Saturday, November 22, 2014 at 5:20 PM - Response #2

Go to the Preferences page. Scroll down until you see;

CLASSMATE NOTIFICATIONS

Classmates sign up to be notified when various pages of your site have been updated. You may not want these automatic notices to go out if you are making a small edit (e.g. fixing a typo). A checkbox is present under the editor window indicating how many people have subscribed to receive updates for the page you are editing. You can check or uncheck this box to send or not send these automatic notifications. The default status for this checkbox is settable below:

Prechecked: Automatically send subscriber notices unless box is manually unchecked before saving
Unchecked: Do not automatically send subscriber notices unless box is manually checked before saving

Select the second option , Unchecked and this will give you what you want.

Saturday, November 22, 2014 at 6:19 PM - Response #3

Thanks, FC, I was going to say the same thing

Saturday, November 22, 2014 at 9:21 PM - Response #4

Bill,
After you've followed FC's directions, I hope you will find it is what you are looking for within the system. Class Creator gave us this option some time ago after requests from admins. Now you can edit away!
Smile

Sunday, November 23, 2014 at 10:53 AM - Response #6

Thanks to all! Yet another reminder to aim before firing...

Sunday, November 23, 2014 at 11:17 AM - Response #7

Funny, Bill.

There have been so many changes, I do not think anyone would expect an admin who has not kept up with them in emails and in these forums to know.

Now... edit away!

Sunday, November 23, 2014 at 7:48 PM - Response #8

Just to make a point; I find alumni (especially from a long time ago0 more apathetic than not. If they have to make an effort NOT to be notified, it is easier to keep their interest if they receive notices and just check a few of them out.
Barbara

Sunday, November 23, 2014 at 7:52 PM - Response #9

I understand and can agree, Barbara. However, by making the decision that of the admin, you can edit a page several times before YOU (the admin) are ready to send the notification. That is what many of us NEED and appreciate. Cool

Edited 11/23/14 7:53 PM
Sunday, November 23, 2014 at 7:54 PM - Response #10

Oh. I see. I guess what I meant to say is that when you first put the 'notify me' option up for alumni to check or not, I found only a few did. but now all of them have checked that after I put a message up on the message forum. But, I see what you mean about an administrator or at least the one posting the article.
Barbara

Edited 11/23/14 7:58 PM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.