ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Customizable Links

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 02/14/11 04:02 PM Views: 1862 Replies: 16
Monday, February 14, 2011 at 4:02 PM

I am new to this (about 8 days, now), and I was wondering what people use the customizable link pages for.

I would love to get some ideas from more experienced users.

Thanks!

Monday, February 14, 2011 at 4:28 PM - Response #1

Welcome, Susan!

You've come to the right place. You will find a wonderful network of support here, not only from Brad and the CC Gang but, from the fellow admins, as well.

I have used some of my pages for grade school photos, games, a page to honor military veterans from our class along with children of classmates who are currently serving. I have also used one for a calendar with birthdays, anniversaries, and events we have planned for the class. You will find many things to share on the customizable pages. You may want to change them up from time to time to keep things fresh.

Good luck with your site!

Tam

Monday, February 14, 2011 at 4:58 PM - Response #2

Welcome Susan and Tam is right, you will find a wonderful support group here with some great people. I have Honors and Tributes, Memory Lane, Junior High and grade school photos, Reunions, Mariani's yearly party, a page Index and a Remember to...things to remember to do when visiting. If you run out of those, you can use your survey maker for more pages. Just don't ask a question. More available custom pages are coming I hear. Bonita

Monday, February 14, 2011 at 5:16 PM - Response #3

Susan - I agree with both. I have been using this as long as you have. I built a website about 8 years ago with free tools, but a classmate pointed CC out to me, and I am so grateful. I am moving stuff over from my old site; one lists those classmates that have their own websites personal or business. I figure it's free advertising for them - many doctors, college professors, real estate agents and business owners. I also, originally created a link called "guess the classmate" when we first started this 10 years ago - but as I am now contributing, I'll be watching more and more - I've got to get my own logo and photo up there, if they're not yet. And to the second contributor here - we LIVE in Sunnyvale, and my wife graduated from Cupertino High - I mentioned Sunnyvale High, and she gave me a blank look...Enjoy...Dick

Monday, February 14, 2011 at 5:25 PM - Response #4

Hello Susan ~ Welcome !
To get some sort of idea, I suggest you look on Bonita's site. Press 'VIEW SITE' and take a look at her left-hand tabs list. Or, go to other classmate sites and view their site tab list. You may not be able to actually go on their pages, but on many you can see the list of links they have there and get an idea of what they are doing on those customizable links.
Once you go into the customizable links, change the name to what you want to call it, and put what you want on the page, you save, and then you will press 'active' to see it on the left-side tab.
My customizable links include:
* 35-Year Reunion Pics
* Reunion Event Sign-Up
* The Lounge (topic conversations message forum)
* Our Teachers (a list of them all, with highlights of who we are in contact with, and those deceased)
* Yearbooks
* Sequoia's Story
* Music, Games, Etc.
* School Days (pics, report cards, student IDs, fun stuff)
* Military Tribute
I hope this helps. Definitely ask many questions and whenever you run into a wall. We are all here to help each other, and CC is the greatest !!

Monday, February 14, 2011 at 5:35 PM - Response #5

This link will enable you to have your own title that you can edit, dele, and redesign to suit your own needs. Example: I just installed the Title "Reunion Attendance, under this title I am listing all of the people so that the reunion committee 800 miles away will know who is responding and who is not responding. When my class takes trips we use a link to have a permanent place to store flyer's etc:

Monday, February 14, 2011 at 5:40 PM - Response #6

Hi Susan
Welcome to CC.

I used some of mine for reunion pictures, pictures of our faculty, jokes and cartoons about growing older, commencement programs, a slide show of our town in the 50's.

I'm sure you will come up with all sorts of interesting ideas.

Monday, February 14, 2011 at 5:50 PM - Response #7

Welcome Susan and Rick to the wonderful world of CC and its Help Forums.

I will offer this. Feel free to visit any of our sites to see what pages we have open and do not hesitate to ask about a hidden page. By simply seeing the pages listed in the menu of many sites, I've had some good ideas. I like to find things easily and keep a file "CC ideas to look at". Under that file, I have separate files for particular subjects (such as reunions, donations and so on). You will soon find yourself wanting to grab many great ideas. I use notepad more often than Word to save the information, site address or idea. One day, you'll be where I am with little time to give to the site and so many great things you want to add. When I get started on one, I can't stop! Smile

Remember this...you are not alone when you are part of the CC family! Smile

Enjoy!

Monday, February 14, 2011 at 11:42 PM - Response #8

They r meant for adding glitter n spice to ur web page... I mean u can post the URL in form of your own videos or from elsewhere too

Monday, February 14, 2011 at 11:52 PM - Response #9

Hey...Welcome Dinesh!!! Glitter n spice....oh yeah! Some of us don't know when to stop! It's ALL good. Bonita

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 at 8:45 AM - Response #10

Welcome!
By all means, don't try to re-invent the wheel! LOL
Click on other web sites you see in this reply, as well as other Help Forum postings, and get ideas from all of us.
Many times, admin's like myself will allow another admin to be a guest on our sites to view pages that are viewable only to logged in, registered site members.
There is quite a camaraderie here among administrators, so don't be shy!

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 at 1:45 PM - Response #11

I hadn't thought of that, Steve. Bonnie and I have become friends through here and on Facebook and often visit each other's sites. I have password protected my home page and some other pages due to an incident with a former classmate two years ago. The site password is "goldfish" if anyone wants to check it out. I like the idea of adding fellow admins as guest members. I, also, like the ideas suggested by Gwen.

There really is a camaraderie here.

Tam

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 at 2:33 PM - Response #12

Welcome, Susan!
Ditto to all the above!
Your imagination is the ticket, and Have Fun!
Many of our pages are 'open", "borrow" what will work for you. the graphics, once loaded on to your computer and filed under something that makes sense to you will help you find them again!
The ideas from other admins are priceless and your creativity and ability to personalize whatever you like is addicting! When our site started, all I knew how to do was find my e-mail and I am learning something new everyday! Trial and error has become a "good friend" and I was able to fool my entire class into thinking that I had any "abilities"!
ClassCreator gives us all the ability to create a unique "reunion" site, where "miracles happen"!
Have Fun and enjoy the "journey"!

Saturday, June 25, 2011 at 7:22 PM - Response #13

Thanks, everyone! These are great ideas! Idea

Edited 06/25/11 7:22 PM
Sunday, February 19, 2012 at 6:59 PM - Response #14

We have used one of our links for a great local band, former classmates, who will be attending and performing at the reunion (and also played many of our proms). I gave "admin" rights to the band leader, set up a photo gallery for him to post their stills, the ability to upload videos and the ability to post announcements (where they're playing, when they're playing, etc). We haven't made the link active yet, still working on it but we know, because of the band's history with our school, this will be a popular feature on our site.

Thursday, April 26, 2012 at 8:04 PM - Response #15

Are customizable links two-way? I mean, if I post a link, can members post responses or contribute on it?

Thursday, April 26, 2012 at 8:44 PM - Response #16

The CUSTOMIZABLE PAGES are post only. No responses can be posted. Only other admins that have edit page rights can edit the custom pages and add content to them.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.