ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Update on Classmates.com re yearbook photos

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 08/24/12 10:56 AM Views: 2145 Replies: 10
Friday, August 24, 2012 at 10:56 AM

I don't think there has been any new information on this:
Someone posted that Classmates.com will scan your yearbook photos for $19.95.
I received a reply from Classmates.com that said they DO NOT offer that service. If anyone knows to the contrary I would appreciate any info you may have. If I missed an update on this, my apolgy.
Thanks, John

Friday, August 24, 2012 at 12:27 PM - Response #1

A few months ago I sent Classmates.com (now called Memory Lane) my yearbook. Our school was large with almost 900 students in the combined January, June and August classes. Classmates scanned all the pages at no charge and they are now on their website. They returned the book, unscathed within a few weeks.

Friday, August 24, 2012 at 1:00 PM - Response #2

Thanks, Joan. Evidently they are no longer offering that service or the person at classmates.com that responded to my inquiry was not aware that the service was available.

Can you give me the email address, a name or phone # for whomever you made contact with at Classmates.com?

Thanks, John

Friday, August 24, 2012 at 1:04 PM - Response #3

Hi John,
I am in Austria right now (!) and will try to look when I get home next week. But I don't remember having any specific name or number that I dealt with. I just remember calling to verify that it was free.

Friday, August 24, 2012 at 2:09 PM - Response #4

Thanks for doing this, Joani. I didn't have a phone #.
I was doing this by email with Classmates.com. It took 3 tries before they understood what I was inquiring about.
No rush. Whenever you get to it.
John

Friday, August 24, 2012 at 5:45 PM - Response #5

I paid to join Classmates.com to help me find classmates. It seems to me that they have some very shady business practices. I don't recommend them. Here are just a few of the negative things I have learned about them:

They will offer to scan your book and give you a small credit for allowing them to do so. Then, they use information from your book to advertise Classmates.com. They encourage classmates to join their site (at a charge) citing the actual photos, indexed, from your yearbook. They don't tell you the yearbook you send to them will be published on their site including the owner's name and autographs, so classmates are going to know who sent the book in for publication. I believe they are also the company that is selling copies of yearbooks online for upwards of $100.

It takes a while to scan all yearbook pictures, but when you are done, they belong to you, not some shady internet business.

One suggestion: check the library of the town where your school is located. Ours has all volumes of our school yearbooks scanned.

Friday, August 24, 2012 at 5:47 PM - Response #6

I scanned nearly four year books doing a project for our class. I did this without doing harm to any year book. While fragile, the pages were still in good shape. I chose to not remove the original binding but to place heavy objects down on the reverse of each page in order to get a good flat image. In most cases, this worked with excellent results. These books were nearly 50 years old and appeared unharmed after the completion. While I am not in the business of scanning yearbooks, sounds as if the money were right I or anybody could do this with ease. Maybe I ought to go into that business?

Friday, August 24, 2012 at 8:07 PM - Response #7

You might want=t to look at boundbookscanning.com They don't appear to keep the files or share with other people. I have not used this service.

Friday, August 24, 2012 at 11:21 PM - Response #8

Might not be a bad idea. If you offer a good product at a fair price...just be honest with everybody & the word spreads.

Too bad greed gets in the way with so many companies (much like wall street & politicians, I guess)

Friday, August 24, 2012 at 11:24 PM - Response #9

Thanks, Tommy- I'll check them out. We have a virgin copy of our yearbook but it's on loan from the school. I'd hate to have it disappear or be damaged. I know classmates.com has our yearbook. All I wanted was for them to scan the photos & charge me a fair price.

Monday, August 27, 2012 at 11:20 AM - Response #10

John, I'm sorry, I don't have any further information about Classmates.com. I just know that our yearbook was on their site in October, 2011. Maybe they have changed their policy.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.