ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Unable to resize images on page

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 09/19/08 11:32 AM Views: 1396 Replies: 2
Friday, September 19, 2008 at 11:32 AM

Please Help.

I am trying to resize an image (jpg) on my home page. I change the size in the edit mode and when I return to the home page it hasn't changed. If I go back in the edit mode, the size has returned to the original size. The image is too large to fit on the space between the menu and the side boxes, so a gap exists between the text on the home page and this image. I am also having this problem on other pages with resizing images. I am using Firefox.

Friday, September 19, 2008 at 1:46 PM - Response #1

This problem should be only able to occur one time. It's a little hard to explain, but let me give it a shot:

If you upload an image to your page that is too large to fit on your page, when you go to save your page, our system is automatically going to resize your image to the maximum width it can be so it doesn't blow out your site. The problem is, we can't do this resize until you click on the save button. So if you upload an image that is too large, and then you resize it down yourself before you've hit saved, our system is still going to resize it as soon as you press save (because the actual image is still the same size it was, your own resize is just telling it to display in the browser at a smaller size). If you are uploading images that are too wide, your best course of action is to first simply hit save. Our system will then resize your image. Then go back into the edit mode for the page again. Now you can make further image size reductions if you wish.

I see your page is working fine in Firefox now, so I'm assuming you've fixed the image size as you wanted.

Note: There is a good way to stop this from ever happening, and that way is to not upload images to your site that are too wide to fit in the first place. Then our system's auto resizer will never kick in. Here's a good rule of thumb:

1) If the image is going on to your home page, resize it to 300 pixels wide or less before uploading.

2) If the image is going onto any sub pages, resize the image to 700 pixels wide or less before uploading.

If you need a good image resizing tool, a fantastic free one can be downloaded form www.irfanview.com.

And one final note for you: After every image on your page, you need to press your enter key. Otherwise you can wind up stacking images side by side, and blowing out your page, as is happening on this page of your site:

http://www.gtownclassof88.com/class_custom1.cfm

Wherever you see an image to the right of another image, click before the image and then press your enter key. Once you no longer have any side by side images your page will no longer blow out.

Edited 09/19/08 1:51 PM
Friday, September 19, 2008 at 2:11 PM - Response #2

Thanks for your help.

I tried several times to go back in and resize these images after saving and no luck. I ended up just rearranging the text on the home page so it wouldn't look like there was this big empty space on the page. This is frustrating because I know I have done this before without a problem , but now I don't seem to be able to make any changes on the size once the image is loaded and saved.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.