ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Missing List vs. Location Unknown

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 07/31/08 02:50 PM Views: 1932 Replies: 9
Thursday, July 31, 2008 at 2:50 PM

In the 'Where They Live' section, there is a clickable link for location unknown. My first assumption was that it linked to the missing list. I was mistaken because I had input email addresses of some people and they still displayed on 'location unknown'. I thought I was going crazy.

Why is missing and location unknown not the same thing? I think it is confusing for people as they think they are on the actual missing list when they just have not registered on the site.

Thursday, July 31, 2008 at 2:52 PM - Response #1

Replying to add - it links to the exact same missing page, but it has different data.

I have been trying to get my missing list number down. Yet, the 'unknown location' page lists more people that do not comply with the settings I made for the missing list.

I find this very confusing. Can you have the location unknown match the missing list?

Thursday, July 31, 2008 at 6:38 PM - Response #2

It's becasue "location unknown" means literally that: The Classmate's locatation is unknown. I.E. there is no city or state information whatsoever for this Classmate. The "Where They Live" box is 100% about geography and the physical location of Classmates. The "location unknown" link in that box is not meant to link to a list of Missing Classmates -- it is meant to link to a list of Classmates with no geographic information in the system.

Now -- there is a very real problem here. The Unknown Location page really shouldn't be pulling your verbiage you have in there for your Missing Classmates page. Because there you have spelled out different criteria, and now the page has false instructions at the top. Not good. Thanks for pointing this out. I'll get this fixed.

Edited 07/31/08 7:01 PM
Thursday, July 31, 2008 at 11:16 PM - Response #3

Thanks, Brad! Good luck tomorrow! Hope your wife doesn't break your hand! lol

Friday, March 5, 2010 at 1:16 PM - Response #4

Hi,

I see names of people in the "location unknown" list under the "where they live" section, even though they have a country and city entry on their profiles.

What are the conditions that must exist for a name to show up in the "location unknown" list?

Thanks,
Ian

Friday, March 5, 2010 at 1:41 PM - Response #5

Do they have a state? Please provide an example Classmate name and I'll check it out.

Friday, March 5, 2010 at 2:21 PM - Response #6

Most of them do not have a state. An example is the name "Mark Jones".

I found an example where there is a state (or more accurately a Canadian province). The name is "David Barnes".

Thanks.

Friday, March 5, 2010 at 2:43 PM - Response #7

David did not enter a Zip Code (Postal Code). Please ask him to do that and let's see if he appears on the map. Our system is only tapping the power of Google Maps, so what can be plotted is really determined by their system. The more information we can feed to them to accurately plot the Classmate the better. One of the biggies is the Zip Code. If anyone else is not being plotted, please make sure all geographic info fields are filled in. If all of them are and somebody is still not being plotted please let me know.

Friday, March 5, 2010 at 3:27 PM - Response #8

That's interesting...

A couple observations:

1. "David Barnes" is listed on the map even though he is in the "unknown location" list. This appears to be inconsistent! That is, if the name is on the map I would expect it NOT to be in the "unknown location" list.

2. Some countries do not have zip codes. For example, Jamaica. In the case of "Mark Jones" he is not listed on the map even though his information is consistent with the 3 names listed on the map for Jamaica. Which leads me to ask, is there a limit as to how many names are listed on the map for a given location? There are 24 names with Jamaica as the country and only three are listed on the map. And even then, on the map it list them as being in the same city, which is not what is in the system.

I think the feature of listing where the classmates are located and mapping the information is great! However it is not working correctly.

Cheers,
Ian

Friday, March 5, 2010 at 7:04 PM - Response #9

So it seems! For the most part US plotting works great. I'll have to have Rick check on your first issue above, and then maybe he can also take a look at Jamaica and see if there's anything we can do on our end.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.