ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Issuu or Flipping Book

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 04/06/09 03:27 AM Views: 3101 Replies: 16
Monday, April 6, 2009 at 3:27 AM

I would like to put our yearbook on our website. Whats the difference between Issuu and Flipping Book? Pros and Cons?

Monday, April 6, 2009 at 6:21 AM - Response #1

That's a great questions, Let me know also. I would love to have the year book flip -pages. How do you put it on and get it to do that.

Thanks
Connie

Tuesday, April 7, 2009 at 9:38 AM - Response #2

Hi David and Constance,

I have not had any experience with FlippingBook, but upon looking the site over, it looks as though you are going to pay a license fee to use it.

Issuu is free, however, you have to be a little computer savy to use it. I have put my yearbook into the Issuu format. It is a little bit difficult and you have to have the ability to make PDF files and know a little bit about what you are doing with them to make Issuu work.

Of course, first it involves scanning and cropping each and every page of your yearbook, which can be quite time consuming. It really is a major undertaking, but quite worth it if you want to put in the effort.

Let me know if I can be of any help.
Good Luck!Laughing

Edited 04/07/09 9:41 AM
Wednesday, April 8, 2009 at 8:52 AM - Response #3

Hey Administrators . . .

Three questions:

1) What is the page limits on Issuu?

2) If you save the yearbook pages on Issuu as one big PDF, does the page limits still apply?

3) Would Issuu be the best 3rd Party Plug for old School Newspapers? I would like to present our old Cavalcade Monthly 4 page School Newspapers on are site.

Thanks in advance,
Cav

Wednesday, April 8, 2009 at 9:42 AM - Response #4

Hi Cav,

1. Yes there is a 500 page limit to Issuu. Although I am not sure if you are allowed 500 pages on the free account.

2. You HAVE to save the PDF's in one large document for issue to work and yes the limit still applies.

3. I can't think of anything that would work better than Issuu for your old school newspapers, although no doubt there are other venues that would work. I think it would present them well and take up the least amount of space on your page. The format is small on your class page, but once you click on the newspaper, it enlarges big enough to be able to read the text.
And you are welcome! Smile

Edited 04/08/09 9:47 AM
Thursday, April 9, 2009 at 12:00 AM - Response #5

I recently used issuu to display an April's fools four page issue of our old school newspaper. It looked great and had excellent enlargement capability. When I started our website, I devoted a customizable page to clippings from the paper. It worked pretty well but I ruined a lot of old papers in the process. Also did our high school YB in Issuu and people really liked it. Plan to add our Junior High YB's next month.

Ben

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 at 11:36 PM - Response #6

Issuu rocks. It works like a dream. The limit is 100 meg for document size I believe. It might be 50.

It is really easy to insert into your page and if you have any html experience you can remove all their stuff.

I looked at and tried a lot of sites but Issuu is by far the best one. They did mention about charging a fee some time in the future but they already postponed that once.

Good luck

Greg

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 12:07 PM - Response #7

Hi All;

I have a question about Issuu and I don't speak computer. I've scanned and edited all our yearbook pages using irfanview. I have saved them as jpeg files and converted them to pdf's also. I haven't combined them into one file yet, but they are twice as large as the 100 mb limit on Issuu. Is there an easy way to get them smaller without rescanning each page? Any suggestions on how to combine them into 1 pdf file? Will they be any smaller when I combine them into 1 file? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 3:33 PM - Response #8

Gail,

Depending upon what PDF maker you are using will determine the answer to some of your questions.

Adobe Acrobat has a feature which allows you to list all the files in order to compile into one document and then it will assemble the document for you. Otherwise you may have to insert the pages one at a time in order if your program does not allow for this. In Adobe it is under File/Combine/Merge Files into a single PDF.

As far as the file size, once you combine all the PDF's into one document you will have to make the file smaller. In Acrobat it is Document/Reduce File Size. This usually cuts it down by 50% or more. If this is not enough there are other things you can do but try this first.

Greg

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 3:38 PM - Response #9

Thanks for your advice. I did go into irfanview and made a few pages lower resolution (I had the senior pages quality too good since I'll use them for nametags). I'm loading them now onto Adobe Acrobat. I'll take your advice about merging and shrinking them when I get to that.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 3:57 PM - Response #10

Gail,

You do NOT need to convert the JPG's to PDF before you assemble the final document. Adobe will allow you to use JPG's for the "Create document from file".

Greg

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 4:34 PM - Response #11

Hi Gail,

If you do not have Adobe, you can use a program called PDF Helper. It is very easy and it is free. Just google "pdf helper" and it will give you the download site. Be sure to read the "Read Me" file. It will explain how to use it.

Good Luck! Smile

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 5:13 PM - Response #12

NOW you tell me!! Guess I should have asked my questions on here before I spent so much time converting jpgs to pdfs??? (Actually, I didn't know I had Adobe on this computer til this morning.) Just finished loading all my pages. Time to find out how much to squeeze them.

I'm glad you guys know what you are doing. I'll try not to become a pain on here!

Thanks again

Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 11:10 AM - Response #13

I can't figure out how to resize my yearbook file. It's 225mb and I need to get it less than 100mb for issuu. I have a really old version of Adobe Acrobat (5.0) and can't find a resize option. Any suggestions??

Monday, May 25, 2009 at 10:08 AM - Response #14

Hi All; I finally got my yearbook on Issuu and posted on our site. The problem now is, when a classmate looks at the yearbook, there is a "menu" button appearing in the lower right corner of the yearbook. If a classmate clicks on it, it takes them to Issuu and gives them access to the code for the yearbook. Does anyone know how I can disable or delete this feature?

Saturday, September 19, 2009 at 4:06 AM - Response #15

Gail Busch wrote:

Hi All; I finally got my yearbook on Issuu and posted on our site. The problem now is, when a classmate looks at the yearbook, there is a "menu" button appearing in the lower right corner of the yearbook. If a classmate clicks on it, it takes them to Issuu and gives them access to the code for the yearbook. Does anyone know how I can disable or delete this feature?

Has anyone been able to delete or disable this Menu button? I am having the same problem with my School Newspapers - The Cavalcade. I have an earlier issuu yearbook - 1969 Gauntlet and the Menu button is not on this earlier version.

Is it me or has issuu added more buttons making it less "user friendly"???

If I can not disable some of these buttons on issuu, does anyone else have a better Yearbook/Newspaper presentation method???

Kudos in advance . . . CAV

Edited 09/19/09 4:19 AM
Saturday, September 19, 2009 at 8:54 AM - Response #16

. . . CAV . . . wrote:

Gail Busch wrote:

Has anyone been able to delete or disable this Menu button? I am having the same problem with my School Newspapers - The Cavalcade. I have an earlier issuu yearbook - 1969 Gauntlet and the Menu button is not on this earlier version.

Is it me or has issuu added more buttons making it less "user friendly"???

If I can not disable some of these buttons on issuu, does anyone else have a better Yearbook/Newspaper presentation method???

Kudos in advance . . . CAV

This is just a guess - The Yearbook you have the Auto Flip feature on. The Newspaper, you don't. Maybe if AUTO FLIP is on, you don't get the MENU icon.

I think you need to go into ISSUU.com and edit your newspaper and turn on AUTO FLIP, then re-embed the code and see if this will remove the MENU icon.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.