ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Default Text Size

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 07/01/14 11:28 AM Views: 726 Replies: 2
Tuesday, July 1, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Where can I discover the default formats (that are pre determined or programmed into CC's text editor)? Particularly, text size?

Default text size and font type are not specified in the html source code and, sometimes, I end up modifying entries with what appears to match in Chrome, but looks all wrong in another browser or mobile interface.

Knowing the default format could be very useful for admins trying to maintain consistent styles and professional-looking pages.

Thanks!

Terry

Tuesday, July 1, 2014 at 11:56 AM - Response #1

Default Font specifications are controlled in two places (if not explicitly coded in html).

1. Browser override settings (usually not done, although I do have minimum font size override).

2. The CSS used by CC. There may be multiple font choices listed. So that if one isn't found, the next is used and so forth.

View your page in source mode from a browser. Now search for "font". You'll find the defaults in various areas. For example h1, h2 and body. Here's an extract of some CSS listing just the font not the rest to show here:

Quote:

body - font: normal .9em/1.5 Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;

h1 - font: normal 1.5em/normal Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;

h2- font: normal 1.3em/normal Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;

The last thing is that the browser has to be able to find the font specified on the device. If it can't find it, then the browser attempts to find what it thinks is the closest match. Mobile devices tend to not have as many fonts as PC devices.

Your own custom html font choices do the same thing.

So it's pretty much impossible to get ALL devices to display the same unless you pick a generic monotype that probably will not be attractive Cool

Edited 07/01/14 11:58 AM
Tuesday, July 1, 2014 at 1:13 PM - Response #2

Thanks, Jack! A bit confusing for the novice, but I did figure out what you are describing. In Google Chrome, one must choose from the file menu: View / Developer / View Source.

I then searched [Ctrl+f] for the word "font" and found:

Quote:

font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
   font-size: 10px;
   color: #B9B9B9;

...along with several other instances for various headings, etc.

Thanks!

Terry

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.