ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Long Pages

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 11/27/14 01:34 PM Views: 1692 Replies: 5
Thursday, November 27, 2014 at 1:34 PM

There are some long pages and some very long pages, What's New for example, on my site and probably on a lot of others. On some internet sites I visit there is a portion of the page that "follows you" as you scroll down. If it were possible to have the left hand portion of the CC page that contains the links to other site areas do so that would make navigating away from some very long pages much more convenient.

Edited 11/27/14 1:34 PM
Friday, November 28, 2014 at 12:27 PM - Response #1

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm willing to bet though for every person who likes this, it will drive 3 crazy. Personally I would fall into those 3. It's also non standard (you get into compatibility issues with mobile devices and other things). For instance on Facebook, eBay and Amazon you need to return to the top of the page in order to see the left links again.

One thing I suggest is keyboard shortcuts. I always hit CTRL-Home to get back to the top of any page. It's virtually instant. I'd much rather do that than have something following me around as I scroll the page. Just MHO (my humble opinion). Maybe others would like to chime in on this.

Friday, November 28, 2014 at 12:48 PM - Response #2

Actually, I suggested this over a year ago and got the same answer. But now when tablets and smart phones with OS systems as varied as the many different products that use them, compromises must be made for all of them. I also suggested the possibility of "freezing" the left margin so that only the body scrolled. It was pointed out to me that was made difficult by the fact that it must expand with all added pages and also by the fact there are more links provided for admins than for general users. I believe it would not bug me at all if the links "traveled" with the scrolling. I would prefer it, but I guess that's just me. Smile

Friday, November 28, 2014 at 1:50 PM - Response #3

iPad users can touch the "Time" line at the top of any page in any application to instantly go to the top of the page.

PC users can click on the scroll bar and slide it to the top of the page in an instant.

Friday, November 28, 2014 at 2:33 PM - Response #4

PC users can press the HOME key to get to the top and the END key to get to the end instantly Exclamation I bet Macs have something similar.

However, I like the idea of a static left hand menu. I did that a long time ago using "frames". LINK

Here's an example of a fixed top "frame" LINK

And a tutorial example with top and left side LINK and another one HERE

Zoom the page (ctrl+ Plus+ key - use ctrl+0 to reset) to get the browser scroll bar showing and you'll see that the left hand side stays put Idea (as well as the top and bottom in this case).

Not sure how that would work on FBCC. Should work.

Not sure frames would drive anyone crazy. It's technically much easier to use. I'd guess the opposite for frames: 1 out of 3 might not like it - but I really doubt it since it makes a site easier to use.

Now sites where a 'fixed' sliding menu is "coded" can be a bit annoying since it actually moves and comes back so you have to wait before you click - but looks cool. I think that's what FC originally referred to here Question This (*frames*) is not the same as that but accomplishes the same thing and more.

I'll see if I can find the iPad to test.

Edited 11/29/14 12:03 AM
Saturday, November 29, 2014 at 12:01 AM - Response #5

Found the iPad. Had to charge it and download new iOS.

The samples I gave above don't work well on an iPad because of the way the 'controls' work on Touch devices. There is a better solution though that gives same result explained by Apple in this LINK

That page has a 'fixed' left side that works on PC, iPhone, iPad, etc. and is compatible with how CC uses CSS. I like it Twisted Evil

Different topic, notice the comments about graphic sizes for iOS. Don't know how the iOS graphic size limits apply today since there's no date on the article. Seems pretty limited.

Edited 11/29/14 12:02 AM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.