ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Intoduce myself

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 11/07/08 05:46 PM Views: 1679 Replies: 3
Friday, November 7, 2008 at 5:46 PM

Hi, My name is Bill Coleman. I am the administrator for the Broken Arrow, Oklahoma high school class of 1969 website. I am pretty new at this and I must say that this Class Creator program is very impressive. My wife, Nancy, who is a computer programmer by trade, has helped a great deal with some of the more technical things that I didn't understand. But, all in all, the instructional steps given by Class Creator was very easy to follow.

I am on the committee to plan for our 40th reunion coming up in May of next year. This is my first time to be on a reunion planning committee and I am having a great time. Over 40 years, you tend to lose track of a lot of your classmates. It has been especially rewarding for me, as administrator, to be able to come in contact with a lot of my old classmates, who I have't heard from in years.

I did have one question, is there a way to use Class Creator to create mailing labels for a post card we are going to send out?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,

Bill Coleman

Friday, November 7, 2008 at 5:53 PM - Response #1

In the manage classmates area there is an option to download a class list into an Excel file. You should be able to use that to create mailing labels.

Friday, November 7, 2008 at 10:18 PM - Response #2

If you have Microsoft Office, you can easily create mailing labels using the classmates.xls spreadsheet. Google is your friend, (Try This Search)

Open the downloaded classlist.xls and make a few edits. First, delete the deceased classmates identifier row, since that row has merged cells that will mess up mail merge. Also delete the rows of deceased classmates. Review the list to make sure there aren't any mistakes, like an address in Address2, but blank in Address, missing the State, etc.

Sort the list alphabetically on the Address column, then delete any rows that have no address. You can do more filtering as needed, to only send to class members who have not updated their profile for example, classmates with address but no email, etc. Probably do a final sort on Last Name to make the labels easier to check later. Save the spreadsheet, then follow the instructions from one of the tutorials found with the Google search. Tip: To add the women's married name, use the suffix field and map it to "Married Name" column.

You might want to scan through the labels before printing, I sometimes see weird things that can be edited before printing.

Bonus: If you manage this without help from the family computer expert, you get "looky here" points.

Saturday, November 8, 2008 at 12:27 AM - Response #3

You guys are great. Smile

The database front end we use has native support for labels, and this is something we'll be looking at integrating into Reunion Planner II. But for now that's quite a ways down the road. The solutions above are a good bet for now though, thank you all for sharing that info.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.