ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Event activity description copy

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 02/28/22 02:40 AM Views: 320 Replies: 12
Monday, February 28, 2022 at 2:40 AM

In describing my reunion is there a way to add an outline box around some of the copy in order to set it aside from the rest of the copy?

Monday, February 28, 2022 at 12:45 PM - Response #1

Hi Barry,

I would use a table, 1 column & 1 row.

500px is the maximum width before the table or an image will overlap out the right side of your page. I normally use 400 px in announcements (my home page). Run a preview to determine if you want/need to adjust the size.

Have fun!

Monday, February 28, 2022 at 12:59 PM - Response #2

Thank you so much. That worked great. Now, how to center that table? I'm playing with it: any ideas? Thanks in advance. Barry

Monday, February 28, 2022 at 1:24 PM - Response #3

1. Before I add a table or image, I center the top blank line and insert a few more using the enter key.

2. Place the cursor in the middle of the space you know is set as centered on the page.

3. Insert your table or graphic.

4. Remove extra lines as you wish. Some find it easier to do that in SOURCE.

IF you have a table or graphic on the page, you can pick it up and move it to the space. Smile

Monday, February 28, 2022 at 1:26 PM - Response #4

Use CSS definitions. That's how that is done today. Automatically adjusts to different page and display sizes. That's the beauty of Responsive Design for alternate display devices.

Use the editor SOURCE mode to enter the code shown.

Here's the code to make an outline around anything. There many more options. This is just the basic stuff. You can change the background to a graphic too.

Edit: added margin: auto; /* centers div */

You can have multiple different styles. Just change the name and change the specifications.

You also can have "div" with different styles within "div"s. It's way more flexible vs tables.

Copy and paste ALL the code into a test page and experiment. Code automatically adjusts to page sizes.

Edited 02/28/22 3:07 PM
Monday, February 28, 2022 at 1:31 PM - Response #5

Admins who have a tablet or smartphone may find it helpful to check new pages and announcements on their devices. It is helpful when using images and tables.

Monday, February 28, 2022 at 2:38 PM - Response #6

Example of how the code shown above displays

Edited 02/28/22 2:42 PM
Monday, February 28, 2022 at 6:11 PM - Response #7

Hi Jack. It is good to 'see' you.

Friday, March 4, 2022 at 4:05 PM - Response #8

Barry,

At some point, CENTER became an option for tables. It helps to look at dropdown options now and then. Oops.

So when you insert a table, Table Properties opens. Under the number of rows and such is Alignment. Click on the arrow to view the options: Left, Center, Right.

It is right there and I missed it until yesterday. My apologies.

Jack, hope you got this as well. Smile

Gwen

Friday, March 4, 2022 at 4:41 PM - Response #9

tables with fixed sizes are obsolete. Those html options have been around forever. It works but not a good way to do this. The editor does not offer the better CSS options. CSS classes adapt easily if design choices are changed. If one makes the size as 100 percent, one doesn't need to center at all Idea The class I made requires NO changes if one changed to a responsive design.

You can actually use the "style" I gave as a table class= and that makes the table responsive too.

CC should create a sticky forum discussing how to do common tasks to make not only style changes easier, but also more flexible.

Edited 03/04/22 4:43 PM
Friday, March 4, 2022 at 4:47 PM - Response #10

For this specific topic, it's super easy to highlight sections too. All one has to do is fit the 'div' and '/div' to surround whatever is desired to be highlighted and poof, it's done. No cells, no rows, ultra simple.

The only 'hard' part is learning how to make classes. What's cool about classes is that if you change the class details you automatically change ALL things that use that class. Nothing else needs to be changed.

CC uses classes all over the place because of that behavior. Responsive design can easily be modified for that reason too. And so does most web pages now made.

Wednesday, March 9, 2022 at 7:57 PM - Response #11

Jack Vermeulen wrote:

CC should create a sticky forum discussing how to do common tasks to make not only style changes easier, but also more flexible.

Jack, I suggest you start a topic and submit the idea of making it sticky. If your input is helpful it should not be lost in threads. This is my opinion as I have read admins noting your suggestions helped as they thanked you.

Personally, when I respond to admins without knowing their understanding of the system or more, I respond according to what is offered by CC.

Let me know if you follow through with your thought. Smile

Wednesday, March 9, 2022 at 8:28 PM - Response #12

CC is not interested. Already did that years ago. Some sort of distortion field I guess Confused

The issue with "fixed" element sizes is that it can break Responsive Design. That's all.

Never use a fixed size unless you absolutely have to. Always use a percent. That works for ALL the layouts. And makes porting from Classic to Responsive simple.

Classes are super simple once understood. I've taught a few admins how to make stuff both flexible and pretty using classes Shocked

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.