ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

New Design for Classmate Mapping?!?!?

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 06/26/10 11:15 PM Views: 1973 Replies: 12
Saturday, June 26, 2010 at 11:15 PM

Did I miss the announcement of the NEW and IMPROVED mapping of classmates? Or did I just stumble onto it before you were ready to announce it?

Love the new graphic look to the pop up window -- and LOVE the inclusion of class photos and scrolling links to profiles in those push-pins!!!

Edited 06/26/10 11:16 PM
Saturday, June 26, 2010 at 11:19 PM - Response #1

I probably should have posted the updates to the mapping feature in our New Features forum. I'll go do that now. Smile Thanks John.

Saturday, June 26, 2010 at 11:25 PM - Response #2

Wow - love it. And the 4 minute response time. Now go to bed, Brad.

I'd like to create a link in my announcement that will pop-up the map window -- rather than pointing members to the spot where they click. Can you provide code to do that?

Edited 06/26/10 11:40 PM
Sunday, June 27, 2010 at 12:28 AM - Response #3

This is way cool!!!! You guys are the best!!!

Sunday, June 27, 2010 at 8:34 PM - Response #4

Good to see that this feature is supporting Canadian locations as well.

I thought I'd test the MAP feature on the Reunion Planner, and it too is now supporting Canadian locations. It wasn't a year ago.

Thanks!

Monday, June 28, 2010 at 5:22 AM - Response #5

Brad,

I'm not sure what to do about one of my Classmates who lives in American Samoa.

If you'd like to check the info on his Profile, his name is Brian Guest and he doesn't appear on the map. Could this be because he shows his country as Australia? Your pull-down list shows American Samoa as a USA state, whereas, technically, it's not.

What do you suggest?

Monday, June 28, 2010 at 9:45 AM - Response #6

Actually, I just took at look at your map and Brian Guest is showing up. You need to zoom in closer to Australia to see him. Before you zoom in closer, it appears that David Mitchell has a marker that covers up Brian's marker.

Monday, June 28, 2010 at 10:52 AM - Response #7

Thanks, Scott. Found him!

I can see what's happened now. He shows his proper South Australia address on his Profile but on his Profile Details he seems to have allowed American Samoa to show under the State section.

Would it be better, to avoid this sort of possibility happening again, if the 'State' box on the Profile could be made clear that it means USA state and that the white apace on the drop-down list in that box is changed to read 'No US state' or something similar?

Monday, June 28, 2010 at 3:58 PM - Response #8

Looking at the profile for Brian Guest, there is nothing that would indicate that he lives in American Samoa. As for the confusion about "State" and why American Samoa shows up under that dropdown, that is technically states and territories. If it were simply a country rather than a territory, it would show up in the next list, as Samoa does. Make sense?

Scott

Monday, June 28, 2010 at 5:23 PM - Response #9

There wouldn't be any indication re American Samoa as, naturally, I amended it when I saw what the problem was.
He had entered American Samoa in the 'State' box. I think he probably did that because he hadn't realised there was a blank white space at the top of the list that he could have used to indicate he didn't belong to a state, or perhaps just a confused stateLaughing

That's why I suggested you add something like 'Non-USA' to that list to allow non-USA Classmates to see there was an option they could use and click on it, otherwise the problem might occur again.

Monday, June 28, 2010 at 5:57 PM - Response #10

I sent this to Programming, I actually don't like all of the stuff mingled in with the first 50 states, Armed Forces stuff, etc. Too sloppy. I'd rather just have the first 50 states and then everything else that's not technically a state.

Friday, August 13, 2010 at 1:49 PM - Response #11

I'm curious about the classmate mapping, where can I learn more about this?

Friday, August 13, 2010 at 1:55 PM - Response #12

Josh Werner wrote:

I'm curious about the classmate mapping, where can I learn more about this?

Josh: Here's a link to the announcement of the improved map There is some discussion on how the map pins are placed.

If you'd like to create a direct link to the pop-out map, click to pop-out and copy the URL link. You can then use it from another page or from an announcment. Idea

Edited 08/13/10 1:58 PM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.