ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Classmate wants to create a "Health" Page

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 09/03/16 07:07 PM Views: 1262 Replies: 6
Saturday, September 3, 2016 at 7:07 PM

Help Please.

I have a classmate who wants to start a "Health" page. She is a certified health practitioner. However she is not a Co-Admin. Is there a way for us to create a web page called say "Health Tips" and give her the ability to only post to that page?

Any thoughts out there??

Thanks

Saturday, September 3, 2016 at 7:28 PM - Response #1

Make a "Guest" profile where she can post.

Call the Guest "Health Tips"

You can link to that profile using her ID so it looks like another "page" on your menu.

If you don't want anyone else to post there, disable the posting. Give it a fake email and password for access. Ignore the 'bounce' message Very Happy

Saturday, September 3, 2016 at 7:55 PM - Response #2

Will she be posting pictures or only Text?

She could create the page in Word...then she could email you a copy, save it to your puter and then you can import onto the Health Page.

Best bet is so make her an admin. Only check the edit site pages....tell her she has access to that page only. I have admins that only access the pages they are assigned to maintain....and don't have a problem.

I hope this helps!

Edited 09/03/16 7:58 PM
Saturday, September 3, 2016 at 8:25 PM - Response #3

It's not obvious but you can use "Comments" to extend a profile with more than just text, including html formatted data and even scripted stuff.

I've added a JVideoplayer music player with some music videos a user wanted on their profile and some other things to user profiles.

Then of course you/they can add photos and YouTube videos very easily. Responsive Design is even better since it's a tad more flexible with data widths.

Meaning, there's no real requirement to let them be an admin. Leaves them to their own devices and they can't mess anything else up.

Edited 09/03/16 8:26 PM
Sunday, September 4, 2016 at 12:05 AM - Response #4

I would be very careful about getting into the "health tips" business, especially if the person giving the tips is not a physician licensed and practicing in the state where your high school is located. There are all kinds of people claiming to be experts in health care who really are not qualified to treat patients legally, let alone make wholesale recommendations about health practices for the general public. You didn't say what kind of "practitioner" she was, but if it is a recognized licensable profession, the person may be practicing outside the legal bounds of their profession to promote any health practices for the general public. Why can I say what I just stated? I am a licensed health practitioner who is on the boards of several national and international organizations who dedicate their operations to eliminating quackery and unscientific health practices(American Council on Science & Health; Institute of Science in Medicine; Quackwatch; National Council Against Health Fraud; and others). I implore you to check out their websites before launching a health advice section. And by the way, you might want to check with your personal attorney because you might be liable for actions that this person might recommend that result in adverse consequences to any of your classmates. Sorry to be a wet blanket, but it is my opinion that this is not a good idea.

Sunday, September 4, 2016 at 9:51 AM - Response #5

Great....advice. I never thought about the legal implications.
I think you gave great advice...I would stay away from that type page...after rethinking the whole issue.

Sunday, September 4, 2016 at 10:56 AM - Response #6

True, it depends on the advice, but let's see first what the intent is. There are lots and lots of "health" sites that give basic info. Such as eat less and exercise. Multiple thousands of these. Search "Health Tips" and see.

Here's a typical site LINK

Give it chance and see what is posted. There is really too much concern today about things that are harmless just because one in a million 'might' cause an issue.

Heck YouTube has many videos on car repair that are incorrect. Who is liable if something happens? YouTube or the person posting?

The underlying rule here is the same one that CC uses: Content of a site it the responsibility of the site not CC. Similarly, content in a profile is the responsibility of the classmate. Put that in a legal document on the website if you like. Track the content too.

Does anyone check to see if music posted in a profile is legally theirs? Heck, many CC sites post music they 'bought' thinking they can post it online in their vault. Even the government makes big mistakes on health topics - Think butter.

I'd give it a chance in a profile setting - IOW the content is clearly the classmates, not the site. Letting people interact and ask questions could be very active.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.