ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Message Forum Posts

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 08/12/17 06:55 PM Views: 1873 Replies: 15
Saturday, August 12, 2017 at 6:55 PM

I am looking for a way to keep the newest post/s on the message forum page at the top. It randomly switches from top to bottom. We would like the new ones to be on top all the time. Can this be done? Thanks!

Sunday, August 13, 2017 at 3:42 PM - Response #1

It defaults to 'New at the Bottom'. We've asked for a Preference Option to set the default to "New at the Top", but it is not a high priority since the Message Forum is not included for new sites.

Sunday, August 13, 2017 at 10:17 PM - Response #2

Thanks for your reply. Wish they'd 'git 'er done!' Now I wonder why the message forum isn't part of the new sites??! We use it for so many things....

Monday, August 14, 2017 at 1:25 AM - Response #3

CC thought the "What's New" would replace them. But that's a totally different type of interaction.

Thursday, August 31, 2017 at 2:42 PM - Response #4

hELLO. What is the diffrence between "What's New" and the message forum. I am trying to get my site more interactive for the classmates.. thanks !!

Thursday, August 31, 2017 at 2:42 PM - Response #5

hELLO. What is the diffrence between "What's New" and the message forum. I am trying to get my site more interactive for the classmates.. thanks !!

Thursday, August 31, 2017 at 5:39 PM - Response #6

The What's New page displays most 'new' things that happen on your site, including profile updates. messages or comments posted in profiles, (but not private messages), pages which were added or updated, In Memory posts, birthdays, etc. But not everything 'new' is included in the What's New page... For example, Class Creator chose to not include Message Forum posts. Some have suggested that What's New page should display anything 'new' that generates a notify message, living up to it's name.

The Message Forum only displays whatever people post there. It's often used as a 'Community Bulletin Board, and the default is the newest post displayed at the bottom. There is a check box for users to temporarily change the display to show the newest post at the top.

Thursday, August 31, 2017 at 5:48 PM - Response #7

John gives a good example & explanation for What's New. I'm not a techie and learned posts on What's New eventually fade away.
My classmates use Message Forum for important announcements/comments. Message Forum posts don't fade away, unless they are deliberately deleted. On our website we have Message Forum posts going back three years.

Thursday, August 31, 2017 at 9:28 PM - Response #8

Here's another 'review'

What's New is a scramble of everything and anything (pretty much like FB Home page) with no organization.

Message Forum (actually User Forum) is like THIS forum - Organized by topics.

The success of either format depends on how active your members are. It's easier to get content in What's New but much harder to track.

Edit: I meant User Forum since Message Forum is not Threaded and about as disorganized as What's New - lol

Edited 09/02/17 12:16 AM
Friday, September 1, 2017 at 6:18 PM - Response #9

We use Message Forum a lot and it's annoying to have to change it to new messages at the top each time. Class Creator: Please make a default to New Messages at Top.

Edited 09/01/17 6:18 PM
Friday, September 1, 2017 at 6:31 PM - Response #10

I like what Jack said about What's New - it's a scramble of posts, hard to follow sometimes. What's New and Message Forum each have their pluses. Please keep them both.

Edited 09/01/17 6:32 PM
Friday, September 1, 2017 at 8:29 PM - Response #11

I changed the "What's New" page to "Classmate Newsfeed." Comments made on profile pages transfer to this page but I see few or no replies to the comments . . . in other words, very little interaction going on here. On the other hand, the Message Forum is titled "Classmate Conversations" and generates conversation.

Personally, I dislike the What's New page. I just noticed that the "Short Name" given to an Announcement that was recently posted was published on the What's New page. I didn't realize that happens so will now make sure the "Short Name" is appropriate. Very Happy

The Message Center is what is annoying with the recent comments at the top and no way to reverse it. I've been conversing with one classmate via the message center and grumble each time I have to scroll waaaaaaay down the page to get the most recent comment and reply to it.

Friday, September 1, 2017 at 11:22 PM - Response #12

Anyone else get the First Post (8/12/2017) Today (9/1/2017) vs 3 weeks ago? Just curious.

It's always been so odd how that happens with this forum. Wonder if it's related to the mail server being reset all the time?

Friday, September 1, 2017 at 11:28 PM - Response #13

Jack Vermeulen wrote:

Anyone else get the First Post (8/12/2017) Today (9/1/2017) vs 3 weeks ago? Just curious.

Yes, I got it this afternoon.

Friday, September 1, 2017 at 11:53 PM - Response #14

Sorry, I'm bad. I forgot that the ORIGINAL Message Forum was sort of like the What's New in structure. I do not think this is available for new RD designs? Can't tell since we started after the User Forums were created in 2009. Couldn't see a use for the old continuous format - "Message Forum".

I'm referring to the User Forums which most users rename to something else. Those are threaded like THIS forum.

Sorry for the confusion I probably created.

John Ralph reminded me Embarassed

Sunday, September 3, 2017 at 1:08 PM - Response #15

I changed the name of Whats New to "The Meeting Place" and put it at the top of the home page instead of the left hand column. This is where most of our class interactions occur (Birthday wishes, announcements, etc.) I don't think anyone ever uses the Message Forum. Maybe because it is not at the top of the page. Every once in a while someone posts to the Message Center, but not very often. Again I think it is because it is not at the top of the page where most of the things people are interested in are (Classmate profiles, The Meeting Place, In memory, other obits and missing classmates.) We also rarely have any one post to User Forum. I may try an experiment and put the User Forum at the top and see what happens. Maybe change the name to Classmate Discussions/Comments.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.