ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

opting out of messages/emails, etc

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 06/29/21 12:36 PM Views: 328 Replies: 10
Tuesday, June 29, 2021 at 12:36 PM

Members can opt out of receiving private messages and personal email from other members.
When these messages and emails are sent to those members, the sender may feel they are being 'snubbed' by the recipient if they never get a reply or acknowledgement.
Can the programmers have an 'automatic reply' sent to the sender that the intended recipient has opted out of receiving such notices?
Seems like a reasonable request.
TIA

Tuesday, June 29, 2021 at 3:06 PM - Response #1

Buttons for contacting members who have opted out of notifications are hidden and not available to users to send messages to those specific members.

Tuesday, June 29, 2021 at 5:27 PM - Response #2

Are you sure? 7 members on my site have selected "Never" for the option of being notified of a new personal message, but there is still a link on their profile page to click to send a message.

Tuesday, June 29, 2021 at 6:17 PM - Response #3

Scott - look at my classmate, last name of Odom - on the Statistics - Notify Me page, she has opted NEVER to receive a personal message, yet today, I sent her a Private Message, it being her birthday. That link is on her profile page.

Surely there is a way, like when sending emails to the entire class, and we get the 'bounce-back' notification {realizing these are invalid email addresses}
[or at least an automatic message to the sender that the classmate has opted NOT to receive such notifications].
These are:

<> I receive a new personal message
<> Someone comments on a photo or video I posted
<> Someone comments on an item I have previously commented on

Thanks!

Edited 06/29/21 6:18 PM
Tuesday, June 29, 2021 at 10:10 PM - Response #4

I vaguely remember this coming up before, and the answer then was that - unlike the profile option which users can check or uncheck to "Allow Classmates to enter comments on my profile page", the private message notify option only affects whether or not they will get a notify email when someone sends them a private message. While they won't get a notify email, the private message sent to them will be available in their Message Center, and they will get a reminder on the home page that it's there the next time they log in.

Tuesday, June 29, 2021 at 11:03 PM - Response #5

John, I may have to 'play with this' in the days to come using my 'dummy' classmate. Too tired tonight though.
Rolling Eyes

Tuesday, June 29, 2021 at 11:10 PM - Response #6

What John said is familiar. I think he is correct.

That leaves the original sender wondering ....

Wednesday, June 30, 2021 at 12:44 AM - Response #7

Yes, the sender has no way of knowing that the recipient has that notify category set to "Never" and might not see the private message for a long time.

As was pointed out in that original forum thread, the message was correctly sent, ended up where it should have, and the recipient will see a reminder that there's a new message the next time they log in. The system was indeed performing as designed.

That 'official' response ignored the fact that the recipient may not log in quickly since they may have many notify options turned off and may not see any reason to log in for quite a while.

Sunday, July 4, 2021 at 10:01 PM - Response #8

Coming to this late. What needs to be done to notify the sender that the recipient has requested no email and how hard would that be to set the system to send a notification to this effect?

Friday, July 30, 2021 at 10:10 AM - Response #9

Scott - I realize this.
I am asking CC simply make a few changes.

I am asking that another feature be added to the system.

1-An alternative option might be for the
'Send xxxx a private message'
link removed from those classmates who do not want to receive them.

2-Similar for
'Someone leaves a comment on my profile'
We have literally hundreds of comments left on classmates profiles, that go unread. I know this, because I regularly check the last time the classmates have logged in. Some as far back as 2010, and their email address is valid [though maybe they have CC marked as SPAM or don't have the 'no reply' in their email address list.]

Scott Mastenbrook wrote:

Buttons for contacting members who have opted out of notifications are hidden and not available to users to send messages to those specific members.

Friday, July 30, 2021 at 12:53 PM - Response #10

First off, Debbie was right... Turning off the notify does not disable the option for someone to send you a private message.

And by the way, as reported in another thread, sending a private message using the Private Message link in a profile does take a full minute from the time you click Send to the time it says it's done.

Steve, I understand the concern, and I while I can't see who is receiving private messages, I also have members who've received comments but haven't logged in for months - or years. The flip side of that though, is that turning off the notify does not necessarily mean they don't want to get messages. I have a small group of members who have turned off most notify options but log in every week or so to keep up with at least some of what's going on. They may not notice new or updated pages, etc, but do at least check their profile - and look at the class profile list to see who's been updated. And they would at least see the "You have a new message" on the home page when they log in.

Edited 07/30/21 12:54 PM
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.