ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Deactivate a survey question - Not working

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 12/09/09 08:34 PM Views: 1964 Replies: 6
Wednesday, December 9, 2009 at 8:34 PM

The instructions say:
ACTIVE CHECKBOX: You can deactivate a survey question by deselecting the "Active" checkbox — you do not need to delete your question. In this way you can eliminate a question from a live survey without deleting any answers already received to the question you are deactivating.
--------------------

In editing an existing survey, I can uncheck (deselect) the "Active" checkbox on a question, and, after pressing Update, that question is indeed grayed out -- which indicates that the question is not active.

However, when going to the survey page, that question is still there. Yes, I have tried it in different browsers, refreshed the page, and cleared the temporary cache.

The questions that are supposed to be inactive are showing for me (the Admin), or when logged in as a classmate who took the original survey, or when logged in as a classmate who did not ever take the original survey.

Basically, I do not want an inactive question to appear when a classmate goes to the survey. I do want to keep the data that was entered when the question was active -- that is, I do not want to delete the question.

Comments ?

Thank you.

Edited 12/09/09 9:33 PM
Thursday, December 10, 2009 at 12:20 AM - Response #1

I believe that surveys are left 'open' for each user to make changes up until the time the survey is 'turned off'.

Because YOU answered a question in the survey which was not deactivated when YOU originally took the survey, you are seeing YOUR answer to that deactivated question.

Another person who took the survey after the question was deactivated would not see the answer because they did not see that question.

As administrator, you see all answers to the questions.

Thursday, December 10, 2009 at 2:42 AM - Response #2

Hi, John -- Thank you for writing.
Actually, that is not the case here. You wrote:

But I logged on as a classmate who hadn't taken the survey yet, and as that person I could still see the question that had been deactivated.

In any case, I want to deactivate questions completely. There's a portion of the survey that I want to continue, and there's another portion that I don't want to be visible, regardless of whether a person had entered an answer there.

I'm sure in the morning Brian or Kyle will help here....

Thursday, December 10, 2009 at 3:16 PM - Response #3

Hi Fred,

Okay this is all set now. Check again.

Thursday, December 10, 2009 at 3:36 PM - Response #4

Hi, Jessica --

Thank you for your response. Yes, it works now --the deactivated questions do not show up on the survey, as it is visible to classmates.

Apparently, if I, as Administrator, want to see the stats on those questions, I have to re-activate the questions, look at the stats, and then de-activate the questions again. That's a bit of a pain.

If a survey is set so Survey Results Visibility is set for Admins Only (and not on All Classmates) it seems that a nice feature would be for the Admins to be able to view the results (stats) for the de-activated questions too.

Thank you for your attention on this.

Cheers,
-- Fred

Thursday, December 10, 2009 at 4:12 PM - Response #5

Hi Fred,

I have the programmer who was just in there taking another look. I believe that is how this used to work. The stats were always available to the admin.

Friday, December 11, 2009 at 1:12 PM - Response #6

Hi Fred,

Check again. This should be all set now.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.