ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Facebook App

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 01/08/14 08:55 AM Views: 855 Replies: 16
Wednesday, January 8, 2014 at 8:55 AM

Hi Brad et al,

Just curious as to the "official" kickoff for the Class Connections App on Facebook. I noticed that mine has updated with content I added this morning and seems to be current, but I don't want to announce it to our class until the official launch.

Also, will you be preparing a 'blurb' addressing the new app and it's features as well as how to address security concerns?

thanks

Dave

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 at 12:31 PM - Response #1

Yes. Just got home from Xmas vacation today and will start preparing this. Got a bit mired in new Profiles over the Holidays. App is looking good though. Note you cannot invite anybody to the app until we unsandbox it. I have a series of mini videos I need to send out to everyone first, which I'll do very shortly now.

Just FYI, I've got somewhat of a hosting dilemma to solve as well before we can unsandbox the app. The cloud we were putting the app on at our host is being taken down entirely in 8 weeks and being replaced with a new one. It would make no sense to launch on a cloud going away in 8 weeks. I'm either going to have to find a new cloud location entirely and launch there, or wait out the 8 weeks and launch on the new cloud in Texas. I'll have to figure out what I'm going to do about that. We could actually launch on a server based system as well, but my concern there is initial traffic might blow it up. I'll have more on that shortly too. Whatever the case, I'll get the training out to everyone in just a moment so everyone here is prepared for launch regardless of the tech environment we launch on.

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 at 1:10 PM - Response #2

Hi Brad,

No problem! Hope you had a great vacation! Looking forward to the new app, but as someone who is involved in software go lives...better to launch it right, not fast!

Dave

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 at 2:06 PM - Response #3

Hear that! Smile

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at 12:43 PM - Response #4

I didn't do the fb beta testing. Is there anything I need to do on my site to prepare for the app being launched? Thanks!

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at 4:30 PM - Response #5

Not at all. As soon as we are ready, we will give further detail to all admins prior to the launch.

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at 9:16 PM - Response #6

Just FYI we're working out some final things with the hosting and should be ready to roll. Some demo videos are on the way over the next several days.

Thursday, January 23, 2014 at 4:05 AM - Response #7
screenshot of FB Class Connection - stuck on Steve's school.jpg

Hello... sorry in advance for messing up 1-23-2014 early in the am hours... I probably visited Steve's school incorrectly (Steve Stein - Brazosport Freeport TX Class 1970) but now that is all that I can get to when I click on Class Connection from my Facebook. I cannot remember if I hit the tab visit another class or not... but think I did as I was prompted to type the name of the school and then the year. Now I am stuck on his school and when I click visit another class the tab flashes across the screen and disappears leaving me with just a small blue horizontal bar that states "visit another class" with a gold colored X on the right (does nothing). Can you reconnect me with my school... whhs81.com or is there something I need to do... I even denied being a classmate of his school and sent Steve a message just to see if it would finally let me out, after backing up and undoing all the steps to get there did not work. I even tried the arrow under my picture for options and log out seemed to be the correct one to click, but just brought up an email screen to email Steve since my name is not on the class list at his school (obviously). See screenshot if that helps. Thanks!

Edited 01/23/14 4:12 AM
Thursday, January 23, 2014 at 12:10 PM - Response #8

Sorry you caught us doing a bit of final work on the Visit Another Class feature. That'll be ironed out today.

Thursday, February 6, 2014 at 2:55 AM - Response #9

Hi Brad,
Just wanted to touch base on the issue I posted in response #7 above (Jan 23, 2014 at 3:05am). I checked tonight and am still stuck on Steve's school when I click on the Class Connection App from my facebook page. I cannot get back to "MY" school and when I click on visit another class, it does the same quick flash and disappears of the window to type such entry. Is there an option I am overlooking?
Thanks!
Marla

Thursday, February 6, 2014 at 9:59 PM - Response #10

Marla,

My guess here is you may have uninstalled the app while visiting another class? And then returned and you're being presented with the "is this you" screen. If that's what happened it's a good catch and we put in a fix so this can't take place again. What you should do now is go into Facebook settings and remove the app. Then just rejoin.

Friday, February 7, 2014 at 7:56 PM - Response #11

When will the Facebook Class Connection app be available to those of us not in on the beta testing? Right now clicking on apps.facebook.com/classconnection gets an error message:

Sorry, this page isn't available
The link you followed may be broken, or the page may have been removed.

Thanks.

Friday, February 7, 2014 at 9:57 PM - Response #12

When the video training has concluded we'll release an email with a link to all of the videos, and at that time open up the app. For a litany of reasons we think it's important to finish the video series, answer some important questions, and then open up the app to all.

Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 12:12 PM - Response #13

Hi Brad,
About three days ago, I finally checked the Class Connection app from my facebook page and was no longer 'stuck' in Steve class. I got the page to join, entered my school name (Western Heights Oklahoma City), chose my year (1981), and next screen displayed offered me three names to choose from that could be me (two were members I created for testing and ONE was me). When I selected myself - nothing happened. Would not complete or 'go' to next screen, nothing like I had not selected anything.
So I left it alone and thought I would try again another time. Last night 2-14-2014, I visited the app again, same three options to choose from as being me, I selected myself and this time it progressed as in your video with all the questions of NEXT items to complete. What I realized after I selected myself and all things progressed is that I was JOINING the other site I manage... the Class of 1982, not my class of 1981. (Realized it when I had to enter class of '82 password instead of '81.) I have only used the app from the Class of '81 previously, never signed up as beta tester for class of '82. And apparently, now cannot join any other class, can only visit other classes. So in an effort to JOIN my class of '81, today I uninstalled the app (actually the option selected was REMOVE) and then tried to add it again by typing in the API graph of FB "Class Connection", when next page opened... it automatically pulled up my membership in the class of '82. IT did not give me the option to JOIN a particular class, has all info saved from last visit to the app.
I need to be admin member on both sites... the Class of '81 and Class of '82. Is this in 'the works' prior to launch? THANKS!

Edited 02/15/14 12:22 PM
Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 9:58 PM - Response #14

At launch you will only be able to join the app under one class. No worries though, for your other class you'll still be able to go to Preference and open up the app for those members. In Phase II we will make it possible to "switch identifies" inside the app and administrator 2 or more classes.

Do you want me to remove you from the app database? If yes, after I remove you, you can uninstall the Class Connection app from Facebook and then rejoin using your 81 class.

Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 12:25 AM - Response #15

Yes, Brad. Please do remove me so I can uninstall the app from Facebook and then rejoin using the Class of '81. Thanks!

Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 12:27 AM - Response #16

You are removed. Go ahead and remove your Class Connection app from Facebook now. Rejoin. Let me know if you have any issues.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.