ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

question about home page poll

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 09/18/08 07:55 AM Views: 1171 Replies: 4
Thursday, September 18, 2008 at 7:55 AM

Brad:

When I set up a home page poll I always cast the first vote. When the poll results are returned it shows no votes cast. If I click home page or do a refresh then I see my one vote. I guess this a buffer issue.

I use Firefox.

Is there a way classcreator can get around this? I am assuming my classmates see the same thing and I do not want them to think the poll is not working.

Charlie

Thursday, September 18, 2008 at 10:05 AM - Response #1

Set Firefox to always load pages fresh and never cache. Because you were already at your home page, and you're simply returning, your browser is assuming you just want the page again, so it's pulling it from cache rather than bothering to load it again. You can change this in your own settings, or like you said, you can always click on reload or refresh.

But anyway, no, your Classmates would not be seeing this anyway. Your own computer's cache has nothing to do with what they would see. As they would not have seen your home page just a few minutes prior to the Poll being live like you did, then there would be no cache to pull from. Thus they would see the correct vote total immediately, without the need to refresh like you are encountering.

Thursday, September 18, 2008 at 10:56 AM - Response #2

For clarification:

If a classmate voted, and if their browser was not set to refresh every time - then they would be seeing the same thing that I do now - that their vote would not show unless they also manually refreshed the page. Right?

Thursday, September 18, 2008 at 2:08 PM - Response #3

You are correct. They would see the current vote total when they first arrived at the page, but then if they voted themselves, and also had their browser set to never refresh, then they would not see their own vote accounted for in the total when they returned to the home page. Fortunately the default for every browser I've ever seen is "automatic" when it comes to caching. Thus for most people they would see their vote total immediately included. But yes -- for anyone who has set their browser to not refresh (and I have seen some who have for whatever reason) then they would not see their own vote reflected in the total unless they deliberately clicked reload or refresh on their browser.

Thursday, September 18, 2008 at 2:31 PM - Response #4

For the benefit of anyone else using Firefox that is interested in this issue - the default is when the page is out of date - not every time - and it isn't easy to change the cache setting in Firefox. You have to go into the configuration file to make the change.

Thanks Brad...

Charlie

Edited 09/18/08 3:02 PM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.