ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Professional #1 design-open space?

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 06/21/14 10:40 AM Views: 695 Replies: 3
Saturday, June 21, 2014 at 10:40 AM

I use the Professional #1 design for our website. Can I use the "open space" on the right side of the webpage? I'm considering adding photos there. Or maybe moving the "Announcements" box to that spot.
To me, it just looks like wasted space that could be used.

Barbara Rose

Saturday, June 21, 2014 at 1:57 PM - Response #1

Yes, but to others in many cases there's no space there at all. Especially on mobile devices like tablets. You can use that space by filling it in with a background image, but I wouldn't put anything important there. FYI there's various ways to utilize that space. None of them are "officially" built into the system, but again I'd strongly suggest not doing it. You will only create a usability problem for some portion of your users.

Saturday, June 21, 2014 at 2:50 PM - Response #2

Thank you, Brad. I didn't think about mobile devices!

Barbara Rose

Saturday, June 21, 2014 at 4:57 PM - Response #3

You can sort of use the space more effectively on the home page - in a different way. Change the overall CSS.

I moved the right side column over so the main page now has more room - same as all the other pages. This works on mobile devices. Just look at our site with an iPad.

Display are is also about 256 wider wider, which I did originally when CC wasn't using CSS to design the pages so I could get better image presentation on the home page. Someday I'll bring it back down a bit since a few PCs with a lower res display chops the right side a tad and browser scroll moves it over. (For some of the pages, it's a lot of work).

Mobile devices adapt much better since they were designed with zoom functions Exclamation

Barbara Rose wrote:

I use the Professional #1 design for our website. Can I use the "open space" on the right side of the webpage? I'm considering adding photos there. Or maybe moving the "Announcements" box to that spot.
To me, it just looks like wasted space that could be used.

Barbara Rose

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.