| Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Impact of different browsers

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 03/18/10 06:02 PM Views: 1632 Replies: 13
Thursday, March 18, 2010 at 6:02 PM

I had an opportunity to look at my site in the five main browsers that are available and discovered a problem on my page with Safari. My Facebook graphic that looks fine in all the other browsers displays on top of the "This Day in History" column in Safari.

Is there something I can do to fix this problem that won't change the way things look in IE, Opera, Firefox, and Chrome?


Thursday, March 18, 2010 at 7:00 PM - Response #1

Hi Kelly,

There were two items overlapping the history right hand panel on your home page. This was happening in my Internet Explorer as well. Facebook was one of them - it was in a table that was 623 pixels wide which is too wide for any section of the home page that has a right hand element next to it. I reduced the size of that table so its now fitting in the main content area.

The second element that is overlapping is the Shoutcast Radio you have embedded on your home page. Does Shoutcast have more than one size player option for you to embed? This one does not have height and width tags to adjust.

Thursday, March 18, 2010 at 7:05 PM - Response #2

I don't know if ShoutCast has differenet variable sizes. It looked OK to me when I was looking at the pages. Did you see a problem with it?

Thursday, March 18, 2010 at 7:12 PM - Response #3

Yes I'm using IE 7 at the moment and I see Shoutcast overlapping the history right hand module.

Thursday, March 18, 2010 at 7:26 PM - Response #4

Since I don't know about adjusting the ShoutCast size and am not ready to try a different music source, if I push this application further down the page, will that fix the problem?

Thursday, March 18, 2010 at 7:40 PM - Response #5

It's not abundantly clear how or if you can change the size of the Shoutcast embedded player. I took a look at their site but nothing jumps out at me with info regarding this. What you've done looks fine though, it fits nicely at bottom of page.

Thursday, March 18, 2010 at 7:54 PM - Response #6

Jessica, I pushed it farther down the page. Does it still conflict with the right column in IE7?

Thursday, March 18, 2010 at 11:26 PM - Response #7

You'll never need to add extra space again. I put in a magic code to make it ALWAYS start after the end of the last right module. I.E. it can never overlap them again no matter what you do. For your reference, the code I put in there was this:

Basically, that tells the browser to never start the next bit of content until anything aligned on the right side of the page has ended. You're all set.

Friday, March 19, 2010 at 12:13 PM - Response #8

I am unable to see the Shoutcast "radio" at the bottom of the screen and the Facebook graphic/link is missing. Are these changes related to the piece of code you added?

Friday, March 19, 2010 at 12:14 PM - Response #9

OK, that was weird. Both formerly missing elements are present and accounted for now. Odd...

Friday, March 19, 2010 at 12:29 PM - Response #10

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuure. Wink

Friday, March 19, 2010 at 9:11 PM - Response #11


Several of my classmates and I have noticed that we cannot access Class Creator using Internet Explorer. Do you have any knowledge of a problem with this browser?


Bo Hill
East St. Louis High School

Friday, March 19, 2010 at 9:46 PM - Response #12

The Class Creator system works fine in all major browsers including Internet Explorer. Unfortunately your own personal site does not work in Internet Explorer.

The reason your site doesn't work in IE is because you have added a variety of third party code to your page, i.e. code that didn't come from our system. If you temporarily delete all of your home page content you'll see the page displays fine.

So, what's the problem? That's a very good question. Something you added that comes from some other site is interfering with your entire page loading. There's enough foreign code in there that at a glance I have no clue which code is the culprit.

All you can really do is start removing one piece of third party code at a time, each time testing your home page, until you've identifed the third party code that is breaking your site. Once you've found it you can put all other code back (except for that code of course).

You might find the problem quickly and it may take awhile. Unfortunately the trial and error method is your best bet here.

Saturday, March 20, 2010 at 7:43 AM - Response #13


Good call. I had added the Issuu Smart Look feature to my home page. After I removed the Smart Look code, it worked perfectly. Has there been a problem with this feature in the past



New Topic  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.