ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Teachers Requests to visit the site

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 07/29/08 05:50 PM Views: 1807 Replies: 21
Tuesday, July 29, 2008 at 5:50 PM

We have some teachers that have requested visiting our site and viewing former students' profiles. I know they can access the message forum, missing classmates, "In Memory" but is there a way to set them up on the site without listing them as classmates, but allow them access? I hate to give them the admin. password but we would like them to join the fun of reconnecting with those from the "past" as well. Does this make any sense?

Thanks for any help and suggestions,

Peg Smith

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 at 6:03 PM - Response #1

Makes sense Peg. Two answers for you here:

1) We are in the processing of creating a "guest account" system, where you will be able to add new accounts to your site and NOT show the names on your Class List. Or optionally you'll be able to display any guest accounts under your Class List on your Classmate Profiles page. This task is near the top of our list now and this ability should be available soon.

2) A little further down the road we have a new multi year system coming up, so those schools who wish to organize "alumni sites" with multiple years will actually have full Teacher Profile functionality very much like what your Classmates have now that can be shared with all the graduating years. Estimate for the new alumni functionality is late Fall.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 at 10:42 PM - Response #2

I was thinking of doing this for one of the teachers who I still talk to. I thought that I could add her name and email address and let her register herself. I believe enough of the classmates would recognize her name even after all these years. I also thought of registering her myself with a password that I would then give her to gain access. Just some ideas running through my mind.

Thursday, July 31, 2008 at 10:15 AM - Response #3

Tamson Will wrote:

I was thinking of doing this for one of the teachers who I still talk to. I thought that I could add her name and email address and let her register herself. I believe enough of the classmates would recognize her name even after all these years. I also thought of registering her myself with a password that I would then give her to gain access. Just some ideas running through my mind.

YOu can also add 'Teacher' beside her name so that it displays on the profile list. That way people with poor memories will know she is not a student.

Thursday, July 31, 2008 at 10:44 AM - Response #4

Thanks, Cathy. I will do that. Good luck. Tam

Thursday, July 31, 2008 at 6:01 PM - Response #5

Brad,

We have teachers begging for access to our site. We're trying to decide whether to allow them to create profiles, or whether to wait for the guest access. I'm not trying to put pressure on you and your team, but to assist us in deciding what to do, do you have an estimate about how long it will be before the guest access is available?

Thanks for a great site!
Rich

Thursday, July 31, 2008 at 10:33 PM - Response #6

Well, if they're "begging" then we'll do this faster. I'll add begging to the list of bribes that actually work, along with coookies and brownies.

Mike is actually working on this right now. It's #1 on a list of over 300 things to do, and it's there because so many people are requesting this. You're in good company.

I'll be gone tomorrow morning through Monday for the birth of my son and will probably be out of touch for a few days, but there's a good chance this will be in place sometime next week. When I'm back home I'll check in on this and keep you posted.

Sunday, August 3, 2008 at 11:27 AM - Response #7

Brad Switzer wrote:

2) A little further down the road we have a new multi year system coming up, so those schools who wish to organize "alumni sites" with multiple years will actually have full Teacher Profile functionality very much like what your Classmates have now that can be shared with all the graduating years. Estimate for the new alumni functionality is late Fall.

Can't wait for this just finished up a multi year (25 for me) reunion up and I have classmates info from 1981 (two years ahead) and 1986 (three years behind). I am certain I can get even further and would love to do a whole decade 1980-1990!

I think for teachers it would be cool if you could "steal" a little something from the classmates people where teachers have access to the years that they taught. Not that I am particularly fond of their site mind you, but I do see that they have a few of my teachers listed there

Sunday, August 3, 2008 at 4:25 PM - Response #8

When done, if you select "multi" for your graduating year instead of a specific year, you will have an optional Teachers' Profiles link you can turn on that will function just like your Classmate Profiles. We're currently working on the guest account system. The alumni tools are a little further out yet.

Sunday, August 3, 2008 at 7:39 PM - Response #9

I created a profile for "Ima Guest" and assigned a password based on our school name. I've given this to a few classmates from other graduation years. In the profile, in case someone looks up Ima, I stated that this was a Guest Account. No problems so far...........Larry Froehlich

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 at 11:21 AM - Response #10

Brad Switzer wrote:

When done, if you select "multi" for your graduating year instead of a specific year, you will have an optional Teachers' Profiles link you can turn on that will function just like your Classmate Profiles. We're currently working on the guest account system. The alumni tools are a little further out yet.

Not sure what I did incorrectly but I tried to create the site using 1984 as my starting point to create the alumni site. I went in and turned off everything but no luck. I guess I need for you guys to delete the site I created and I will get with you to explain how to make it work.

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 at 11:29 AM - Response #11

What do you mean by turned off everything but "no luck?" If you can tell me what's not happening I can probably tell you how to fix it without deleting the site. My guess is you'll be better off waiting for our alumni tools that are coming out shortly though. Integrating them system wide is a very big task.

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 at 12:45 PM - Response #12

belated congrats on the birth of your son!

We also have teachers "begging" for access. I was thinking of just adding them to the list, as we have such a small school, everyone knows/recognizes them--they actually attended our reunion.

BUT, if we did this, would it be difficult for them to be added to the new alumni feature?

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 at 3:54 PM - Response #13

The new Guest Account system will allow you to add non Classmates to your site. You'll have the choice of whether they appear mixed in with your Class list, under your Class list in a separate Guest Account category, or not displaying on your Class List at all.

The Alumni System, which is a totally different thing, will allow you to add multiple graduating years to your site (entirely optional). If you do that, you will also have new "Teacher Profiles" area that works just like your Classmate Profiles area now.

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 at 4:49 PM - Response #14

Brad Switzer wrote:

What do you mean by turned off everything but "no luck?" If you can tell me what's not happening I can probably tell you how to fix it without deleting the site. My guess is you'll be better off waiting for our alumni tools that are coming out shortly though. Integrating them system wide is a very big task.

Sounds like I should just be patient. Sorry. Can you delete the site that I made in case someone from 1984 wants to make their own site?

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 at 7:17 PM - Response #15

Yes, but I have to ask you to go through the official "site deletion protocol." And that is:

1) Call 734-717-2646
2) Identify the site you wish to have deleted
3) Confirm the root Administrator's email address
4) Confirm the root Administrator's password

Upon successful confirmation we will delete the site.

I obviously know your deletion request is legit and you're just waiting for the new alumni tools to rebuild, but we have to follow this protocol to delete a site from our system no matter what.

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 at 12:03 PM - Response #16

okay--and this is not up and running yet? Understood that it is a monumental task to implement a new function system wide. Smile But you guys ARE SuperHuman.... lol!
I just added our teacher as a class member for now....

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 at 12:29 PM - Response #17

I'm expecting Guest Accounts to be live by the end of the week. All Administrators will receive a notice about this with instructions when fully implemented.

Thursday, August 7, 2008 at 5:26 PM - Response #18

Brad Switzer wrote:

Yes, but I have to ask you to go through the official "site deletion protocol." And that is:

1) Call 734-717-2646
2) Identify the site you wish to have deleted
3) Confirm the root Administrator's email address
4) Confirm the root Administrator's password

Upon successful confirmation we will delete the site.

I obviously know your deletion request is legit and you're just waiting for the new alumni tools to rebuild, but we have to follow this protocol to delete a site from our system no matter what.

This has been completed and I now await your implementation of the Alumni mod. Very Happy

Saturday, August 9, 2008 at 10:25 AM - Response #19

I am fairly new to this site, but as I edited the contact list I noticed we have many "friends" of our class that graduated before or after 1977. I added their names with the year they graduated after their last name, IE; Tom Morgan-1976. I plan to do the same for those teachers I need to contact.LJK

Saturday, August 9, 2008 at 10:33 AM - Response #20

Larry Kane wrote:

I am fairly new to this site, but as I edited the contact list I noticed we have many "friends" of our class that graduated before or after 1977. I added their names with the year they graduated after their last name, IE; Tom Morgan-1976. I plan to do the same for those teachers I need to contact.LJK

An excellent temporary solution!

Saturday, August 9, 2008 at 5:18 PM - Response #21

New Guest Member system is now available. Read about it here.

Edited 08/09/08 5:19 PM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.