ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Adjusting Youtube video size

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 08/15/24 05:47 PM Views: 157 Replies: 7
Thursday, August 15, 2024 at 5:47 PM

I have been posting youtube videos with 600 width and 450 height for several years on my home page. It's no longer working.

I've even tried reverting to backups and that's not given me the correct size either.

Has something changed?

Thanks,
Carole Mackey

Thursday, August 15, 2024 at 11:54 PM - Response #1

It's been a while, but I think it depends on where on the home page you're trying to put videos. Higher on the home page where the right-side modules display I vaguely remember using a width of 450 - and 415 in the more restricted space in announcements. Below the right-side modules you might be able to get away with wider videos like you can on some other empty pages.

Friday, August 16, 2024 at 2:58 AM - Response #2
Fengerjune1958 home page.jpg

Interesting --- Carole, when I click on your home page, I see a picture of the first YouTube video at full-size for a fraction of a second (see attached screenshot), then it reverts to a smaller size. I don't know what's causing this or how to fix it, but wanted you and others to know that for at least a very short period, the first video appears at full-size. The second video never appears at full-size.

Edited 08/16/24 7:30 AM
Friday, August 16, 2024 at 8:10 AM - Response #3

Weird!! I only get the small size. As I said, I've been using these measurements for a long time and now it doesn't work.
Thanks for looking and responding.

Carole

Friday, August 16, 2024 at 8:14 AM - Response #4

You are right, John. In 2009, Brad advised us that videos should be no more than 420 but somewhere along the way it changed. Maybe with the new design? I have been using the larger size until now.

Carole

Friday, August 16, 2024 at 1:38 PM - Response #5

That's something I caused.

CC created a .video-container class to limit a video to a maximum width of 640px - even if you had a screen size that was wider.

That new class totally messed up JVideoplayer users using the maxwidth/responsive option. To fix, I had to override that class. Took me a long time to realize the CC was injecting that code and creating odd results on our home page. It was inconsistent.

[All CC had to do was make the maxwidth the same as the screen size instead of the hard value OR not do that at all. There must have been a few users that used a larger size that cause a few page issues. I never saw that in this forum]

I can't test ATM but I'll see if I can remove some of the overrides so it will leave the rest alone. I think all I need is the max-width override.

That particular JVideoplayer html has a mistake in the JVideoplayer ID= name. The ID name is missing. That was creating an Iframe that does not work for Apple devices. I thought it would still make an iframe, but somehow it's now not. So need to see why that is not happening since all my tests indicated it should have.

Friday, August 16, 2024 at 11:11 PM - Response #6

Here's a somewhat long read on the background. When CC created the Responsive Designs they wanted to make YouTube videos reflect a reduced page size one would see on a Mobile Device like a phone.

So they added a surrounding "div" that allows for that. If one looks at the actual Youtube size coded and what is really displayed you'll see that it not what you may have coded. It will be 640px or less if on a phone. All of them are that size.

Unfortunately CC also 'randomly' added that same "div' surround to JVideoplayer code if a page was cached and reloaded. IOW it is not always added - took me a year to realize that is what CC did. That added code by CC totally destroyed the JVideoplayer display cropping the video and so forth. So I had to override that class to match what I needed.

I did not think of Youtube code and JVideoplayer code on the same page. Hence that change affected YouTube code IF it was not in an iframe. Since videos in JVideoplayer iframes are NOT reliable for Apple device (don't know why) I suggested that they not be used for Youtube videos.

Some users mistyped the ID name so I just changed it to NOT create an iframe to make it compatible for Apple devices. The page in question worked before since old code created an iframe in that case. I struggled back and forth what to do and finally decided to not make an iframe. If a user really wanted an iframe, should use a div ID that is not called JVideoplayer.

I changed the code to now maximize to the available width. It's a compromise of sorts but works. Instead of always 640px it's now the width of the page. REFRESH your browser (ctrl+F5 or clear the cache to load the new code)

Edited 08/16/24 11:26 PM
Saturday, August 17, 2024 at 3:48 AM - Response #7
Fengerjune1958 home page updated.jpg

Carole, For what it's worth, this is how your home page currently appears on my desktop PC using Windows 11. This appearance is stable, unlike the appearance in my earlier Response #2.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.