ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Message Forum - order of postings

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 08/31/09 06:40 AM Views: 1173 Replies: 1
Monday, August 31, 2009 at 6:40 AM

As more proof that you can't please all of the people all of the time, one of our classmates thinks that the (old format) message forum should list the most recent post first... I explained the up and down arrows and he came back with an all caps request to DEFAULT to latest post first. Is that an option? Thanks for your help - Larry Gilbert, www.RockyRiver63.com.

Edited 08/31/09 6:41 AM
Monday, August 31, 2009 at 4:04 PM - Response #1

You might want to switch to the Threaded Forums (User Forums) that has an intermedie topic level. With this, new topics are always listed from most recent to oldest. Even there though, once you get down to the discussion level (which is the only level the original forums have) conversation goes from the top down. If it didn't, people would have to scroll to the bottom of the page first, and then scroll backwards to read the conversation in order -- a very unnatural behavior. I'm sure somewhere out there there's some forum that works like this but I sure don't know of any. Every forum I've ever seen has conversation that takes place from the top down so people can read things in a natural way. In any case, he might like the new forums better with chronological topic listings, but there is no option in the old forums for changing the sort order. It's programmed to always display the most recent 25 responses.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.