ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Homepage layout

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 04/16/12 11:20 PM Views: 1397 Replies: 4
Monday, April 16, 2012 at 11:20 PM

We are two weeks away from our reunion and having trouble getting people to the right place to register, so I have moved my announcements above my content in order to get the instructions at the top. Now am trying to get everything out of the content and moved to announcements so I have more flexibility in the placement on the homepage. I moved the gallery slide show to the announcements (35th reunion photos) but I guess it is sized incorrectly because it pushes all the information to show below the right sidebar. Is there guidelines somewhere to tell us how to size things properly on the homepage. I have it as inactive right now until I get an answer.

Is there anyway to have the playlist show up much smaller at the very bottom of the page?

And I would love to have the countdown to the reunion appear at the top right above the login or on the left sidebar below the navigation links. Is that possible? I am trying to utilize the sides, get the counter at the top without moving the first announcement down and better utilize the space. Apparently not everyone scrolls down the page when they visit the site.

Thanks in advance for your help. I wish we had more options for laying out the homepage.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 at 10:23 AM - Response #1

When uploading photos or embedding third party objects (such as Youtube videos, Playlist.com players, and Photobucket.com slide shows) on your web site it's important you understand the following width limitations:

HOME PAGE: Do not upload images or embed objects on your home page wider than 420 pixels. Your home page is in columns and images can't be too big here. If a third party object exceeds 420 pixels, press the Source button in the upper left corner of your editor to adjust the width and height so your object does not exceed 420 pixels.

ANNOUNCEMENTS WITH NO BULLETS: Images and third party objects inserted into your Announcements area must be 398 pixels wide or smaller.

ANNOUNCEMENTS WITH BULLETS: Images and third party objects inserted into your Announcements area must be 390 pixels wide or smaller if you have turned on the auto bullet feature, which places a bullet before each of your Announcements.

SUB PAGES: Do not upload images or embed objects on your sub pages wider than 646 pixels. Your sub pages have precisely 646 pixels of space available for content, so if you upload an image or embed an object exactly 646 pixels wide it will fill the entire page body area except for a small default margin area to the left and the right.

USER FORUMS: Do not upload images or embed objects on your User Forum posts wider than 449 pixels.

Note: If you upload an image into any of the areas above that is too wide to fit, our system will automatically resize the image for you, thus preventing you from blowing out your margins or page formatting. However, if you are pulling in images from third party sources, such as Photobucket.com or Slide.com, or you are adding third party plugins like Youtube videos or Playlist.com players, you must ensure these objects are not too wide for the space into which you are inserting them. If they are you can resize the object's width and height in the source code so it does not exceed the maximum widths above.

Friday, January 4, 2013 at 2:18 PM - Response #2

Hi!

I am working to get both my sites NARROW enough to display without WHITE SCREEN GAP on cell phone display, such as iphone. Are the MARGINS to be smaller than stated above in Eric's post of April 17, 2012?

Sometimes I wish there was a ruler in our edit screen pages showing PIXEL WIDTH.

Thanks!
Marla
www.whhs81.com
www.whjets1982.com

Sunday, January 6, 2013 at 12:13 PM - Response #3

The widths of Eric's post are still accurate. They might change when the new "wider content formats and templates" are released.

If you are having problems with viewing on your iPad, you could do the following to find out which announcement is too wide:

Post Announcements,
For each ACTIVE announcement, click the VIEW link associated with each announcement
When the home page refreshes, it will show only that announcement with the home page content.
If there is a white gap, you know that it is that announcement that is causing the problems, edit the announcement to fix the problems.
Repeat these steps with each announcement that is active.

Different browsers display the HTML content differently. HTML (the display language of the Internet) is just standards, the programmers can interpret those standards how they want when they make their browsers. For example, a URL link in Internet Explorer will not wrap, but in Firefox, they have chosen to wrap on the "/" character, so these two browsers will display their content differently (IE will have a wide URL, but Firefox will wrap the line if it is too long)

You can sometimes tell how wide an image is by right-clicking the image, then choosing View Image Info. I know this isn't helpful with the iPad, but should be helpful on a PC.

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 at 7:24 PM - Response #4

Thanks Kyle!

I will save this information for reference. Too busy with work to tackle the problem right now, but wanted you to know your reply is MUCH APPRECIATED!

Thanks again! Staff at CC is THE BEST!

Have a blessed 2013!
Marla

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.