ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Page Formatting

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 07/12/09 08:55 AM Views: 1259 Replies: 1
Sunday, July 12, 2009 at 8:55 AM

Brad,
Mozilla vs. IE I do my editing in Mozilla and everything looks great. Once in a while I go to IE and look at the site and the margins are blown out on the right. Specifically, Update and News and Blast From the Past. I've tried to check for extra spacing but it seems ok. What's wrong?
Judy

Sunday, July 12, 2009 at 3:05 PM - Response #1

FYI, which browser you do your editing in makes no impact on the final results. The editor works exactly the same way in both browsers.

All 4 of the major browsers do have minor differences in the way they display your page, and some browsers cope with problematic code better than others. In your case, your 2 referenced pages were blown out in Internet Explorer because you pasted in Microsoft Word code that is incompatible with the web. Internet Explorer is not dealing well with that code and it was causing page formatting issues.

Never direclty paste Word content into your site. If you do all kinds of Word code will also paste in behind the scenes. Instead do one of the following:

1) Use the "Paste from Word" icon in the page editor instead of the regular "Paste" icon. This will strip out most of the Word code and stop most Word problems before they even happen.

2) Paste your Word content into Notepad instead of your web site. And then in Notepad reselect your content and copy it again. And then paste it into your web site. This is a foolproof method of striping out 100% of the Word code and ensuring you won't have any page formatting problems caused by Word.

I ran a filter on both of your pages to strip out the Word code. The pages look fine now, although it's possible you may need to make a formatting tweak or two.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.